BobWay

Chat: General

6 hours ago, walterblueu said:

The idea of Rippling payments as social currency (I may not have used the correct words there) reminds me of the Irish bank strikes in the late 1960's and 1970's.  All the banks in Ireland closed their doors and the people of Ireland transacted with IOU's within the trust networks they had established with the social lives.  I don't understand how much of this ability is built into the XRP ledger today or how it could be used today.  Is there a back end solution in place waiting for front end software?

This is hugely insightful! Everyone should immediately google the Irish bank strikes. That is exactly what social credit is.

Yes, exactly. The back end works perfectly. All that is needed is a front end (consumer and pub clients) to make it work.

Posted (edited)

I am having so much fun reading all this. Reading about social credit and IOUs kind of sends me off on a bit of a tangent.

When you look at technology and the changes it brings in the short term, it can appear so revolutionary.

When you step back and look at the changes tech brings over some serious timeframes, then we can appear to be so very iterative, simply solving the same problem over and over and over again but faster and faster and faster.

Thousands of years ago when someone who made / had a particular good and wanted a good or service off someone else, it was complicated, you either got very lucky and found someone that had what you wanted and needed what you had, or one side saw future re-trade value in what the other side had and made the trade off the assumption they could get what they wanted in the future with what they took from this trade. 

This was hard and complicated and expensive, so boom, cowrie shells are now a thing and then we're off iterating towards money/currency etc.

3200 years later, we have XRP, connecting value agnostically, because all those subsequent iterations of currency/money/value have essentially re-introduced the same challenge we solved with cowrie shells - it's complicated / hard / expensive to transfer value between parties.

It's like the iPad Pro, it's FINALLY the tablet that does what (for me, anyway) seems to be the thing tablets were born for - you can now viably use a tablet instead of your notepad. 20 years of tech and we've replaced a pen and paper. :P

Now that I write out that analogy, it doesn't QUITE make the sense it does in my head and is a massive oversimplification, but all the parts are there and I've got to alt-tab and get back to work, ha

Edited by Lawsuit

Hi Bob,

not sure if you have answered this and please do not take it the wrong way,  but I'm curious why are you coming out now on the forum and taking your time to answer everyone questions? 

42 minutes ago, tony71 said:

Hi Bob,

not sure if you have answered this and please do not take it the wrong way,  but I'm curious why are you coming out now on the forum and taking your time to answer everyone questions? 

Are you thinking that @BobWay may be using his “book research” as a veiled reason for some other stronger motivations? 🤔

Maybe he’s searching for talent to help with his moonshot?! (After all  Ripple discovered him on here)...If so, I’m in Bob...whatever you need, that’s not technical expertise 😉

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, UncleMikey said:

Are you thinking that @BobWay may be using his “book research” as a veiled reason for some other stronger motivations? 🤔

Maybe he’s searching for talent to help with his moonshot?! (After all  Ripple discovered him on here)...If so, I’m in Bob...whatever you need, that’s not technical expertise 😉

Also don't forget that we of the Zerpening 3 have a near familial attitude toward our fellow Zerpers.

Technical is what we are here for..... BUT ..... 

Being more than a teacher/writer will encourage others to be more open and social along this journey and you will learn more.

Posting a gif or liking someones comment goes a long way towards becoming familiar with the people here. 

Thanks for listening.                                                                                                                       P.S. No bikini pics .....  Karlos doesnt like em :(       LOL

Edited by CaptainHook

Also...

Congrats on making silver.....             Quickest in the chat's history !!!                                                                            

11 hours ago, BobWay said:

The only way you can get the fork Stellar did is to misconfigure EVERY server on your network at once

I have been (previous to reading this) under the assumption that Stellar is NOT a fork of the XRPL.  Please explain....

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jmrichky said:

I have been (previous to reading this) under the assumption that Stellar is NOT a fork of the XRPL.  Please explain....

He is referring to a ledger fork in the Stellar network caused by a misconfiguration of the UNL list... ie: Stellar accidentally forked itself.

Edited by electra_highway

Posted (edited)

@bobway

On a scale of 1-10, how important would it be for you to capitalize (make bank) on your book venture?

1 being of no importance at all ("hell, I'd do it for free!"), and 10 being of utmost importance ("Show me the money!").

Edited by EcneitapLatnem
clarified range

Posted (edited)

@Dario_o  These are some of the finding I have\XRP community have found so far about Ripple/R3, Going after the derivatives market ($1.2 quadrillion market) :sun_bespectacled:

Video is from 2015 Susan Athey - CODIUS

In most SBI reports you will see this picture (attached)

***PART 2*** R3 Corda Settler -  Derivatives there needs to be some sort of payment or settlement, "R3 Launches Universal Settler Application to Facilitate Global Payments on Corda; XRP the first settlement mechanism" December 5th 2018 

1.jpg

This is also a great read by Ripple from JUL 16, 2014 - https://ripple.com/insights/smart-oracles-building-business-logic-with-smart-contracts/

Smart contracts with Codius

Smart contracts hold the potential to empower people to build a fairer, more affordable and more efficient legal system and smart oracles are one of the simplest ways to realize that dream.

Potential use cases: 

- Bridges between value networks

- Escrow. 

- Cryptocurrency wallet controls.

- Auctions for digital assets

Derivatives. Contracts that monitor the performance of digital or non-digital assets can also be used as futures, forwards, swaps, options.

- Debt and equity

- Smart property

- Voting

Edited by stuartXRP

14 hours ago, BobWay said:

This is hugely insightful! Everyone should immediately google the Irish bank strikes. That is exactly what social credit is.

Yes, exactly. The back end works perfectly. All that is needed is a front end (consumer and pub clients) to make it work.

@BobWay I am intrigued, where do I go to learn about integration with regard to writing a front end?

31 minutes ago, BobWay said:

I'm going to drive to Austin to meet with David tonight. I'll be offline for at least most of the day. I hope you all understand. Sorry for the delay in responding to all your excellent posts. :bad:

have fun!

31 minutes ago, BobWay said:

I'm going to drive to Austin to meet with David tonight. I'll be offline for at least most of the day. I hope you all understand. Sorry for the delay in responding to all your excellent posts. :bad:

Ha, I wonder if I helped with the rendezvous.  Have a safe drive!