Sign in to follow this  
PhiGuy

XRP TipBot Poll

XRP TipBot Poll  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should the XRP TipBot be integrated into XRPChat.com?

• Yes, it would add value to the forum and encourage well thought out questions/posts
    • No, I don't see it adding any value

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, NightJanitor said:

so, might as well do the good/fun thing we wanted to do in the first place

Yeah that’s another area we differ...   I don’t like tipping at all in any circumstance.  

In Australia it’s gradually creeping in because, well, America.  Apparently we want to adopt that culture.  Sigh.  :) 

But I see American and other people slaving away on low paying jobs wholly dependent on tips.  It seems a bit obscene to me.  Pay them their proper wage in the first bloody place.  

It seems an arbitrary and unreasonable diversion of responsibility from business owner to the customer...   just include the wage in the cost of the item.    

But that’s not really the point here.  

I take your point about fear of criticism being a stifling effect and we should just damn the torpedoes.  I agree to some extent.  

But for me the amount of “good” is not high and the downside of having a few clamouring tip chasers is much worse.  

If you liked someone’s post then click like and then if you really like it then actually say so.  Takes more effort,  but it’s more sincere than flicking a tip in my opinion.  

If Reddit and Twitter are the examples then I dispair.  :) 

Edited by Tinyaccount
Autoincorrect

2 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

I would prefer we don’t.  

It sounds sensible and it seems appropriate but I think it would have two potential undesirable consequences.  

- It lays us open to accusations of being a place to shill coins and gain tips.  Our forum has no monetary gain so the profit motive can’t ever sensibly be ascribed to anyone’s posts (although some numbskulks have made that idiotic accusation here previously) but that could be a potentially valid accusation in future.

- Tips could cause people to post ‘popular’ things in hopes of Tips.  This might lower quality overall.  It’s bad enough now just with ‘likebaiting’ accusations which annoy me because it’s far from the truth.  Tips would exacerbate that.  

Just my view.  

- It lays us open to accusations of being a place to shill coins and gain tips.

Accusations are just that. I’d think the community at large would welcome the opportunity to discuss with those who might share a similar opinion that that simply isn’t the case. Isn’t being able to receive a tip via the TipBot a good thing for those who provided quality content? Aren’t new and innovative consumer facing technologies/applications the name of the game? (At least in our small part of Ripple Universe...)

Our forum has no monetary gain so the profit motive can’t ever sensibly be ascribed to anyone’s posts.

Tiny, I have great respect for you and I’m not being facetious in any way when I ask this, but why not? XRPChat is a user generated content delivery platform, and being that the owner(s) have decided not to monetize the site (which I agree is fantastic) doesn’t translate (at least for me) into why one wouldn’t offer a mechanism that would incent the very content upon which the forum relies. From my perspective a forum dedicated all things Ripple/XRP would be doing backflips to showcase any and all new and innovative Interledger applications/technologies.

Tips could cause people to post ‘popular’ things in hopes of Tips. This might lower quality overall.  It’s bad enough now just with ‘likebaiting’ accusations which annoy me because it’s far from the truth.  Tips would exacerbate that.  

I’m not familiar with the likebaiting issue and I can’t speak for others, but I’d vote with my wallet. I believe it would have the exact opposite effect than that which you describe. Free markets find equilibrium, some faster than others –

20 minutes ago, NightJanitor said:

I'm of the "**** 'em - the haters are gonna complain about something, anyway" mindset, on that one, in specific.

More generally, I'm tired of people being afraid of doing/enabling anything good (for fear that their 'motives' could be 'questioned') - trust me, they'll be questioned anyway - if not by random haters, then by sneaky competitors, so, might as well do the good/fun thing we wanted to do in the first place --- and be ready to defend against/ignore "numb-skulls."

As for your second point, generally the "spam" / "likebait" issue, I think the economic incentives will even that out - given time...  This is gonna play out in web monetization, in general, in the near future - and everyone's gonna have to figure out what they want to reward/promote versus what they think is BS and want to not pay for (or just simply ignore).

May as well get on with it, I say.

Exactly-

37 minutes ago, PhiGuy said:

Tiny, I have great respect for you and I’m not being facetious in any way

Thanks very much for the kind words... if you met me in person though you would reconsider...       (Hopeless clutz is close to the reality...    :) )

41 minutes ago, PhiGuy said:

but why not?

What I was referring to was that currently there is no profit motive.  Only a dill would think a post on here could affect price.  (Some folk have argued that...  and apart from them being wrong in my opinion, I would ask if they could set up an example so I can trade the move...   :) )

Ok... If David said he was quitting because he’s just found out Ripple is a pyramid scheme exit scam...   :)   but anything short of that is not price affecting. 

46 minutes ago, PhiGuy said:

why one wouldn’t offer a mechanism that would incent the very content upon which the forum relies.

Well in my opinion because it’s not needed.  The people here who share knowledge and insights do so currently out of a sense of community and helpfulness.  To them I am very grateful but they didn’t ask for payment and don’t require it.  Incentives wouldn’t increase content or quality in my opinion.

Its also a bit of a case of...

“if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” in my mind.  

No real need for it and it does have some risks of adverse results.

I could be wrong...  I often am.  

Thanks for your thoughts guys. We are definitely aware the majority of members would like to see tips on the forum. "Spam" tip posts could be avoided by having a tip button on the actual post, a small text saying "x users has tipped this post" or something similar. 

However @Tinyaccount has done a great job covering the main drawbacks. The idea is to avoid creating/promoting content for material gain. We dont want to attract people who purely post for tips. When real money gets involved, often motives can change and things get murky. Ironically for a forum that discusses payments and settlements, we'd rather see no payments involved here at all. So currently theres no ads, no Coil, no tips, and no referral links. I know the "reaction" system isnt perfect, but I think it gives good feedback loop instead of a token amount of XRP.

Hats off to Wietse though, its a brilliant use of the XRP ledger.