Do you think it's bad that anyone can see your XRP balance with just your public key?

lerryberry

People want to be incentivised to share their public key. Is it not a bit weird that you can see the balance of the user your sending to?

A problem could arise should you share your public key and any other personally identifiable information, so the two can be linked.

I suppose you could have multiple accounts, one for incoming and another for your main stash. But I'd love to get a discussion going around this either way!

9 minutes ago, lerryberry said:

A problem could arise should you share your public key and any other personally identifiable information

Yeah... don't do this. Problem solved.

52 minutes ago, Lurker123 said:

Yeah... don't do this. Problem solved.

Soooo, you're requesting payment from a client you've been working with on a project. You ask to be paid in XRP, this person can see how much money you have? and they know your email at least, hey let's do a WHOIS on their website. Oh cool got their name, potentially even phone number... It can escalate quickly..

Nek minute ya dogs being held ransom for 10K XRP

Edited by lerryberry

6 minutes ago, whatever said:

So you don’t consider the fact that an XRP wallet is unusable for retail payments as an issue worth discussing on a site about XRP?

You mean missing privacy? You could/should use an extra wallet which you fund from an exchange with smaller ammounts. But i think thats where "Providers" like xrptipbot make sense. I don't want to be XRP a privacy coin like monero. But i understand te point,

Payment providers, banks and FI's will act as the intermediary. I would gather it's quite easy for a payment provider to offer an app with which you can link your wallet to make payments, but that at the same time will shield your address from the party you are paying to. Applications like this will come when demand comes.

Now of course, if you insist on making a payment directly to some other person from your address to their address directly, and you don't trust the other party not to kidnap your dog and hold it for ransom, you might be doing some shady stuff. 

I don't want to promote privacy coins, but there are privacy coins.

Privacy is very important for banks too. I think no real bank will use xrp unless all information is private, like account balances, number of transactions, amounts, etc. But at the same time this informations should be available to regulators by request. So we have a very long road ahead.

52 minutes ago, whatever said:

So you don’t consider the fact that an XRP wallet is unusable for retail payments as an issue worth discussing on a site about XRP?

It’s not an issue for two reasons (at least):

1. If you have the payment sent to a seperate wallet that then moves it through an exchange it is essentially untraceable.  Not untraceable by lawmakers or police etc but untraceable to the general public.

2.  It is early, early, days....   the individual wallet is NOT intended to be the final solution once the finance industry has fully leaned in and adopted the XRP ecosystem.  Sophisticated custody products and facilities will be part of that mainstream adoption and will turn this non-issue into a side note of history.

23 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

It’s not an issue for two reasons (at least):

1. If you have the payment sent to a seperate wallet that then moves it through an exchange it is essentially untraceable.  Not untraceable by lawmakers or police etc but untraceable to the general public.

2.  It is early, early, days....   the individual wallet is NOT intended to be the final solution once the finance industry has fully leaned in and adopted the XRP ecosystem.  Sophisticated custody products and facilities will be part of that mainstream adoption and will turn this non-issue into a side note of history.

I mean even xRapid goes through exchanges as far as we know. Don't know if it uses payment channels, too

39 minutes ago, RippleSider said:

I wonder why nobody had the idea to offer a XRP coin mixxer / shuffler via Codius. Would be a nice thing to have,

Please outline exactly how that would work.