BobWay

Hi! I'm Bob

6 hours ago, BobWay said:

I know this was intended for David, but I couldn't agree more. Back in 2013, I wrote in the Ripple forums that I thought the goal should be to have Ripple payments be seen as "more honest than cash". I used an example analogous to yours.

I wrote some papers for the Mojaloop project and I think you are spot on!

It was a response to David's comment but intended for you too.  Thank you for your clarity.  Refreshing and the response I was hoping for on a subject that I think will be of growing importance for the future success of XRP/Ripple.

14 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

It is impressive that you address these questions openly.  @JoelKatz  Digital money is going to happen and we cannot resist the flow of history, so it is very good to hear that the management of Ripple are serious about trying to steer the adoption in directions that enhance the humanitarian benefits and suppress opportunities for malpractice. 

One benefit of digital mobile currency is that money can go directly to the intended receiver without being handled by fraudulent middle management.  I imagine this will make aid programs hugely more efficient.   The wonderful example being the payment some years ago of the Afghan police force who reported their wages appeared to go up after the payments began to be made using M-pesa.  Trying to look up the link to this story I came across this paper Promises and Pitfalls of Mobile Money in Afghanistan:Evidence from a Randomized Control Trial.  I have only read the conclusions so far (I am in a hurry to catch an appointment) which are equivocal and say the main beneficiaries were the efficiency savings for management not the employees. http://www.jblumenstock.com/files/papers/jblumenstock_ictd2015.pdf

It does seem that digital money should reduce fraud.  I expect Mojaloop has been studying and addressing these issues too.

image.thumb.png.a6e748ff38252fdd2db46ea4915a6cff.png

Would also like to see it in government funding and donations to track all the money in politics.

Slush funds breed corruption.

Hi Bob!   Welcome to the board and thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.  I went through the 43 pages and I wasn't sure if anyone asked this question.

As we all know that Ripple is working with IMF regarding regulations, do you think IMF will use XRP internally or any other way?

Also, is there a chance of SWIFT deciding to form a partnership with Ripple in the next year or so?

And lastly with DTCC  testing and they seem to be aiming to go live by summer, are they working with Ripple and testing with XRP?

One more,  it seems 2019 is more of a regulation year, the SEC and the US government is focused on working out the regulations, you think 2020 will be more

of banks starting to use XRP?    Thanks!

3 hours ago, XRP-JAG said:

Would / could / should there be any issue in Ripple loaning XRP to Market Makers with the intent on facilitating sufficient market depth at the sharp end to enable true stability? I'm thinking along the lines of let Market Maker 1 have 100million XRP... and the repayment is for the physical XRP themselves, not the $ equivalent. Therefore no risk for the Marker Maker.

The million dollar question, which is by no means new, seems to remain. Chicken & the egg. Can you obtain the stability for mass adoption, when mass adoption is the way to bring stability? 

@bobway Could this be a use for xPool?

A way for companies to buy/rent the liquidity they need for a monthly/service fee?

5 hours ago, BobWay said:

Sure, full disclosure wouldn't hurt.

No, I'm not working for Ripple in any capacity at the moment. Not that I'm against doing so (do you know how much my COBRA insurance costs!) If they'd like me to come back and do exactly what I'm doing now for pay (or even just insurance) I'd be happy to do so. But that position would have to come with the independence to say and do what I personally think is best for the community (and myself).

I retired from Ripple for three reasons:

1. Stefan was leaving to start Coil with many of the others from the research team that I was on.
    1. I really love Stefan. We are the best of friends! We both have huge respect for each other's skills. Together we make a great team. He sees the world one way. I seem to see the world from exactly the opposite direction. (like looking through different ends of a telescope.) But together we manage to synthesize our different initial viewpoints into amazingly unexpected final products.
      1. But Coil is in SF and I was/am happy to be back in Texas.
      2. Stefan had a specific vision he wanted to pursue and I knew that and support it.
      3. I have a different specific vision I want to pursue and he knows that and supports it.
      4. So I did not want to go work at Coil and distract them.
      5. But I'm not ruling out collaborating in the future.
  2. Ripple offered me two great options:
    1. I could stay working remote in another position 
    2. I could take a very generous (in my scale) severance package.
  3. I had recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer and I've been struggling with diabetes. Ripple didn't know this at the time.

I chose to take the nice severance package (Thank You Ripple!) and concentrate on my health. Since that time I've had radiation treatment for the prostate cancer and that seem to be responding nicely. I've also been (with huge help from my wife) changing my diet and getting more exercise. My weight is starting to fall and my glucose levels are responding nicely.

Of course, leaving also gave me the opportunity to pursue my "new crypto moonshot" as well. It turns out that will require me to step up publicly as a leader in order to promote that project. I'm not particularly comfortable being a "public frontman". So coming here gives me the opportunity to practice (pretending) being comfortable in public. And it also allows me to serve my own long-term personal financial interest as well by promoting Ripple and the RCL (I'm not a fan of the name XRPL)

So that's all about me. Let's talk a little more about Ripple.

As I mentioned in an early post, I was the first integration engineer for OpenCoin. I worked on the business development team for Patrick Griffin. My role was to talk to EVERYONE who was interested in doing anything with the Ripple ledger. I'm not inherently smart about the things I'm telling y'all. I'm only informed because very smart people kept asking to me with us to discuss their problems. My job was to figure out how to help all of them, no matter the industry, at that time. So if you go back to 2013 or 2014 with Ripple, you probably know me.

I was also asked by Nilesh Dusane to join his brand new sales team as the first sales engineer. We had worked together in BD while I was the only integration engineer. It turns out we split my original position into three separate departments. (Integration Engineering, Sales Engineering, and Customer Support) So I was happy to jump in and support Nilesh. He was the one that proposed that Ripple "try to sell our system" rather than give everything away for free. He postulated that having a zero price was actually a barrier to entry for banks rather than a facilitator. He formed the sales team to test that hypothesis. He was absolutely correct!

In my role of sales engineer I talked to almost every bank and banker we could get a meeting with. Sales is an interesting process. The grownup decision makers talk and decide there might be value in the proposition. But often the people high enough to green light a project don't have enough technical foundation to know if they are being bulls***ed. So at some point during the sales process, the grown ups always say something like, "It all sounds good, but I'd like you to talk to our technical lead and see...(reasons change here)  ...but what is really doing is calling in a tech expert to play "tech jeopardy" with me in order to sniff out whether what we promised is real. The only way I know to play tech jeopardy without being called out for bulls*** is completely honestly. Sometimes painfully honestly. Because really, I'm not a sales guy, I'm an integration guy. I DIDN"T want to do a deal if the goals were impossible for the integration team to meet.

Did I mention that I was very outspoken within Ripple?  I believe in being brutally honest with every Rippler. Even about our warts. This is because everyone commits to work WAY TOO HARD when they come onboard. You really need to make a strong personal commitment and you can't make it based on bulls***.

So curiously, some here might get a laugh out of this, while I talked to crazy numbers of people in my official capacity as sales and integration engineer...

...I was never officially allowed to speak to the public or press about Ripple! Go figure huh?  I think the term I heard was loose cannon. Maybe because I was boring here.

So, 100% no. My discussion here is not Ripple sanctioned.

Bob, thank you for being so vulnerable with us, that takes a lot of courage.  I am trying to keep up with this thread, it is so fascinating.  I like people who are brutally honest as long as there is not any ill intent.  What you see is what you get in a sense.  May your health continue to improve and you get to continue to build out your dreams.  Keep up the good work :)

57 minutes ago, Jepb100 said:

Bob, thank you for being so vulnerable with us, that takes a lot of courage.  I am trying to keep up with this thread, it is so fascinating.  I like people who are brutally honest as long as there is not any ill intent.  What you see is what you get in a sense.  May your health continue to improve and you get to continue to build out your dreams.  Keep up the good work :)

I really appreciate you making a new account just to post this. Thank you very much!

On 3/7/2019 at 6:54 AM, Tinyaccount said:

How useful would a book by a significant engineer during the creation of railroads be?  Or an aviation engineer during the transition from experimental to commercial aviation?

Heck yeah!    :)     

This all will be written about many many times in the future...   Be one of the first Bob!   Get it out there in detail and done correctly.  You clearly enjoy writing, (or at least you are good at it) so it’s going to be good if you did.

A great idea....    :JC_doubleup:

Completely agree, please write it Bob.

Lol, we'll all be reading Bob's book of fairytales to our grandchildren to explain how we became XRP Barons.

40 minutes ago, DavidYork said:

Thank you for responding to @SamIam Very interesting questions/response. Thank you also, for the more than interesting perspective within this thread!

I just looked back and I see that I missed some of his topics. I think I must have had a brain fart because I didn't mean to. I'll try to go back and rectify that when I get a chance. But if you or he see anything important in there that I missed, feel free to post it again here at the end. It is getting difficult for me to keep up.

1 hour ago, BobWay said:

I really appreciate you making a new account just to post this. Thank you very much!

Mr Way

First off I would like to thank you for the gifted insight on our little forum......   much appreciated. 

Secondly I would like to offer my words of wisdom regarding your health problems specifically diabetes. 

As I reported on here 3 weeks ago, my brother lost his lower right leg from complications related to sugar, and an injury. 

He failed to take advise I would like to impart to you !

I also have diabetes. 

At one time I was up to 3 shots a day. 

Thru a combination of exercise diet and one other thing I am now easily controlling my sugar with diet. 

The other thing I am speaking of is a combination of caplets of cinnamon and chromium taken by mouth daily.

This combination is nothing short of a miracle that I have used and hopefully my brother has seen the light and will use. 

I also helped my neighbor with the same therapy with amazing results.

I urge you to research and see for yourself the benefits of these two substances. 

Thank you Bob, and as I always say .......................................................................................................................       Buy more XRP !!! ....  of course you know this !

Hey Bob, thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom. Really awesome that you're trying to help us understand more about Ripple, the XRPL and XRP.

Could you talk a little about the unique features of Codius, its design goals and the current status of smart contracts ? Also, with R3, the Corda platform has come to the XRP ecosystem. Do you think that this has any impact on the future of Codius? 

4 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Mr Way

First off I would like to thank you for the gifted insight on our little forum......   much appreciated. 

Secondly I would like to offer my words of wisdom regarding your health problems specifically diabetes. 

As I reported on here 3 weeks ago, my brother lost his lower right leg from complications related to sugar, and an injury. 

He failed to take advise I would like to impart to you !

I also have diabetes. 

At one time I was up to 3 shots a day. 

Thru a combination of exercise diet and one other thing I am now easily controlling my sugar with diet. 

The other thing I am speaking of is a combination of caplets of cinnamon and chromium taken by mouth daily.

This combination is nothing short of a miracle that I have used and hopefully my brother has seen the light and will use. 

I also helped my neighbor with the same therapy with amazing results.

I urge you to research and see for yourself the benefits of these two substances. 

Thank you Bob, and as I always say .......................................................................................................................       Buy more XRP !!! ....  of course you know this !

Thanks for sharing @CaptainHook Really awesome that you're trying to help others staying healthy. I wish you and your brother all the best :heart: