BobWay

Hi! I'm Bob

@BobWay Do you believe mass liquidity/mass adoption of XRP (if only for market making) can be achieved in the current regulatory landscape? 

Or is the current regulatory environment still a hurdle/anchor that needs to be addressed before mass liquidity/adoption can take place?

Thank you again for your time and insight.

9 minutes ago, zerpdigger said:

wait.... WHAT?! the 7 billion wasnt enough, are you being serious, or was it a joke?

9 billion, and if you follow Bob's links, I heavily doubt he is "Joking" :)

11 hours ago, BobWay said:

I was quite reticent to believe it. It seemed intuitively impossible, much like you are thinking now. So I sat down to analyze it. And analyze it. And analyze it... And in the end I concluded his exact proposal was wrong. It was likely to put downward pressure on the prices of XRP.

But, Stefan wasn't very wrong. In fact, using his proposal as a starting place, I tweaked the parameters and intermediate goals and came up with a mechanism that I'm completely convinced will work. It leads to a net upward pressure on the price of XRP...

..and Ripple and I received a patent for it.

presumably you can't go into detail about the "mechanism"... ?

also, how come you got a patent on that, in a field that's notoriously difficult for patents?

12 minutes ago, joe91 said:

9 billion, and if you follow Bob's links, I heavily doubt he is "Joking" :)

what does that even mean... i saw the link to the thread -- doesnt answer whether it was a joke or not... did jed genuinely want/get the 50k xrp on top of 7 billion?

if so, what an a$$hole

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BobWay said:
    • So let's be clear here:
      • Market makers can't quote a very narrow spread in a volatile market or they'll lose money.
      • They can't deploy a lot of capital against few trades or they'll lose the opportunity to make more money.
      • Nobody can artificially manipulate the market to stabilize the crypto bridge currency, or they'll go to jail.
      • And obviously, everyone in crypto wants their asset's price to rise overtime and never go down.
      • So without manipulating the market or even inadvertently causing the price to "temporarily" drop as you bootstrap...
    • Is a cryptocurrency becoming a bridge currency even plausible?

I'm telling you, I think it is.

I'll leave the details up to you graduate students to work through.

i'm thinking bc ripple can use their gargantuan stash of xrp to act as market making incentives to remove market makers' risks, basically -- xrp then gets an eventual "kickback" in price/stability/liquidity

Edited by zerpdigger

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, zerpdigger said:

what does that even mean... i saw the link to the thread -- doesnt answer whether it was a joke or not... did jed genuinely want/get the 50k xrp on top of 7 billion?

if so, what an a$$hole

He has close to 5 billion now! ( ok, if you don't believe Joe Schmoe, just ask some more "credible" members of this forum) - but, i guess its as genuine as Genuine gets! Ok, sorry, this question was for Bob, not for me ! :blush:

Edited by joe91
spelling

1 hour ago, BobWay said:

• So let's be clear here:
      • Market makers can't quote a very narrow spread in a volatile market or they'll lose money.
      • They can't deploy a lot of capital against few trades or they'll lose the opportunity to make more money.
      • Nobody can artificially manipulate the market to stabilize the crypto bridge currency, or they'll go to jail.
      • And obviously, everyone in crypto wants their asset's price to rise overtime and never go down.
      • So without manipulating the market or even inadvertently causing the price to "temporarily" drop as you bootstrap...
    • Is a cryptocurrency becoming a bridge currency even plausible?

I'm telling you, I think it is.

I'll leave the details up to you graduate students to work through.

If anyone can point me in the direction on where to look for potential answers on this, I'd be very grateful! 

I was under the impression that the entire market is pretty manipulated (downwards) right now, while governments iron out regulations and corporates get the proper infrastructure built and in place to support everything moving forward.

2 hours ago, RareData said:

I'd argue that the lack of hardware wallet support is a major contributor to the slow XRPL DEX adoption. Now that there's U2F/WebUSB and soon Bluetooth support in the major browsers, users can use DEX interfaces in a plug n' play fashion without installing anything (and without trusting the DEX interface with their secret).

Ethereum users have had Mycrypto.com and MyEtherWallet.com (millions of users) with proper hardware wallet support for a long time. Binance DEX is executing on something similar for their native chain, working with hardware wallet maker Ledger from day one, enabling user-controlled hardware wallets interoperable with their non-custody, feature-rich DEX interface.

Don't you think Ripple and the likes of Coil/Kava/Strata Labs/(...) would benefit from hardware wallet multisigning and escrow support? Don't you think it would enable a much better usability/security tradeoff for DEX interfaces with hardware wallet support for order transactions?

I think the XRPL community would benefit the most from a full featured consumer level client. If it had hardware support as well that would be nice, but I think client usability and feature completeness is more important than a dongle. It is important to protect secrets using every security feature of the underlying device/computer though.

I say this specifically because I'd like to encourage low value payment use cases, multiple currencies, social credit accounting. If you have your retirement savings in a Ripple wallet. I wouldn't keep that secret anywhere close to your day-to-day device and certainly not on your person everyday. Please make a second (hot wallet) address for daily use, even if it cost a couple of bucks in XRP at the moment. (I really hate the high reserves)

41 minutes ago, Paradox said:

@BobWay Do you believe mass liquidity/mass adoption of XRP (if only for market making) can be achieved in the current regulatory landscape? 

Or is the current regulatory environment still a hurdle/anchor that needs to be addressed before mass liquidity/adoption can take place?

Thank you again for your time and insight.

I think I said this earlier, but if not then:  Yes, absolutely. I don't see any current hurdles to doing so.  

Just to be clear: the goal is a system that is end-to-end compliant. And one that assures that each participant to a transaction is compliant as well.

18 minutes ago, BobWay said:

Sure, full disclosure wouldn't hurt.

It's very refreshing to see this level of disclosure in crypto, to me you seem like someone who's put a lot of effort and time on a field, a field you still love and want to keep contributing to.

We should be thankful for that.

I'm sorry about your heath problems, but glad to hear that you are fighting it and getting better.

Please don't seat for too long periods in front of the computer for us :)

46 minutes ago, zerpdigger said:

presumably you can't go into detail about the "mechanism"... ?

also, how come you got a patent on that, in a field that's notoriously difficult for patents?

There are a lot of misconceptions about patents. The curious thing is that patents exist precisely so that everyone CAN talk about them! In fact, the opposite of "patent" is "trade secret" (something you can't talk about).  I'll talk more about the details once I've laid a better foundation. But until that time, someone cleaver should be able to work out which of (only two) patents I've linked that it is.

Yes, the Alice decision makes it notoriously difficult to get patents on obvious things. I think this patent was awarded for two reasons. 1) It is absolutely NOT obvious to the casual observer. 2) Ripple's patent council team are geniuses. (thanks guys!)