BobWay

Hi! I'm Bob

1 hour ago, BobWay said:

But, Stefan wasn't very wrong. In fact, using his proposal as a starting place, I tweaked the parameters and intermediate goals and came up with a mechanism that I'm completely convinced will work. It leads to a net upward pressure on the price of XRP...

..and Ripple and I received a patent for it.

Now I don't speak for the company so I can't say if they'll ever deploy the system. I can't say they won't either. But I can say that I know at least one method exists that defies the above conventional wisdom.

Hopefully, that is optimistic enough to make up for any panic triggers you might have suffered! 

Thanks for all your generous, insightful and balanced sharing! I have learned a lot from all your posts, to say the least!

I did a little search regarding the intriguing patented method that you were alluding to in the above post, might it be amongst the following? :)

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/result.html?p=1&edit_alert=&srch=xprtsrch&query_txt=IN%2F(Way+AND+Robert)&uspat=on&usapp=on&eupat=on&jp=on&pct=on&depat=on&date_range=all&stemming=on&sort=relevance&search=Search

1. 10187368

Resource transfer setup and verification  
Systems and techniques are provided for a resource transfer setup and verification. A request for transfer conditions for a transfer of resources may be received from a first computing device. A...1000

2. US20180041486

RESOURCE TRANSFER SETUP AND VERIFICATION  
Systems and techniques are provided for a resource transfer setup and verification. A request for transfer conditions for a transfer of resources may be received from a first computing device. A...1000

3. 10021040

Resource path monitoring  
Systems and techniques are provided for a resource distribution system. Selected resource paths in a resource transfer network may be monitored. A quantity of an intermediate resource type to...1000

4. US20180041446

RESOURCE PATH MONITORING  
Systems and techniques are provided for a resource distribution system. Selected resource paths in a resource transfer network may be monitored. A quantity of an intermediate resource type to...1000

5. US20180316624

RESOURCE PATH MONITORING  

6. US20180041445

RESOURCE PATH MONITORING  

7. WO/2018/024815A1

RESOURCE PATH MONITORING  

Systems and techniques are provided for a resource distribution system. Selected resource paths in a resource transfer network may be monitored.A quantity of an intermediate resource type to...1000

8. WO/2018/024817A1

RESOURCE TRANSFER SETUP AND VERIFICATION  

2 hours ago, BobWay said:

As promised, I didn't go to bed before finishing monstrosity. It is the delayed continuation of the post I left hanging here. Sorry for the delay.

Had to hunt it down! This requires multiple reads...my head was spinning from the first read through :wacko2: 

Hopefully this is the right patent you're speaking of:

Temporary consensus subnetwork in a distributed network for payment processing

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160224949A1/en?q=Ripple&q=Labs&oq=Ripple+Labs 

On 3/7/2019 at 8:14 PM, Lawsuit said:

Quoting this to 

A. Say thanks to @BobWay because this has been a fantastic read thus far

and

B. Say hello and thanks to @Hodor who is actually the person responsible for my investing in XRP. Your informative posts (back before your blog / when you used to post here primarily) are actually the reason I initially invested in XRP back in the middle of 2017.

Much love to you both.

Well said Lawsuit. I echo your sentiments. Welcome to @BobWay and thank you to @Hodor for his selfless and consistent work to bolster this community and teach members as they join. 

14 hours ago, JoelKatz said:

For example, suppose you do something for me and I allow you to "owe me one". The idea is for this to act as a currency. Someone who wants something from me (and who I don't trust enough to let them owe me one) wants me to owe them one rather than owing you one. So if they do something for you, you could give them the "marker" you got when you did me a favor and now I owe them a favor. These "markers" can function as a currency.

If I'm not mistaken, https://www.homeexchange.com does something similar to this. If you don't want to exchange your home directly with someone who wants to exchange with you, you have the option of taking a "balloon", which allows you to later exchange with someone you want to. 

P.S.: David, it's really great to see you on this chat. Thank you for all your hard work pushing this technology forward in a stubborn world!

Hi @BobWay!!  Thank you for the amazing thread and time to answer all these questions.  I have a question for you a little unrelated to most of the topics in this thread.  I'm curious on your career path that took you to Ripple.  Currently I work in education teaching Technology from elementary to collegiate level covering all topics but since I discovered XRP, DLT & blockchain I have been looking to transition my career into this developing field in the next couple years.  

1) What are some of the most in demand skills in blockchain/DLT that  you see within the next 5 years?

2)  How difficult would it be from the development side to learn new languages?  

3)  IYO, is 40 too old in this new field to be jumping in on the bottom rung?

Thanks again for your time and sharing!!

2 hours ago, OnTheXRP said:

Had to hunt it down! This requires multiple reads...my head was spinning from the first read through :wacko2: 

Hopefully this is the right patent you're speaking of:

Temporary consensus subnetwork in a distributed network for payment processing

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160224949A1/en?q=Ripple&q=Labs&oq=Ripple+Labs 

the above referenced patent somewhat reminds me of „Teams“ in Elixxier (see technical brief, elixxier.io):

Unlike other blockchain protocols, in the Elixxir protocol, groups of nodes are deterministically organized into teams. Elixxir teams are temporary, and exist only for the duration of the block they are responsible for generating. The team uses a consensus protocol, explained in Section 3, to validate and authenticate operations that anonymize each

Posted (edited)

Bob you say the DEX on the XRPL is something this time isn't ripe for and it would be something for the future.
Can you paint a picture how an DEX on the XRPL would work/look like and why you think it is something for the future?

I am very interested in how it would look like.
And what kind of an exchange it is as the word exchange is still a bit abstract in my opinion.
What would it exchange for example?

Edited by ooopsa

26 minutes ago, ooopsa said:

Bob you say the DEX on the XRPL is something this time isn't ripe for and it would be something for the future.
Can you paint a picture how an DEX on the XRPL would work/look like and why you think it is something for the future?

I am very interested in how it would look like.
And what kind of an exchange it is as the word exchange is still a bit abstract in my opinion.
What would it exchange for example?

See http://theworldexchange.net for info.

Then download https://github.com/pftq/TheWorldExchange/archive/master.zip, unzip it and open index.html using your favourite browser.

17 hours ago, JoelKatz said:

For example, suppose you do something for me and I allow you to "owe me one". The idea is for this to act as a currency. Someone who wants something from me (and who I don't trust enough to let them owe me one) wants me to owe them one rather than owing you one. So if they do something for you, you could give them the "marker" you got when you did me a favor and now I owe them a favor. These "markers" can function as a currency.

Hi @JoelKatz Interesting, what you're describing exists in a form known as "The Hour Exchange", something I belong to in my area...

https://hourworld.org/

Good morning Bob, I see you're up and at it :D wish I had time to jump into this fascinating thread more...

Thanks again for joining us and just being so incredibly interesting! I look forward to your club ;)

6 hours ago, BobWay said:

Now I don't speak for the company so I can't say if they'll ever deploy the system. I can't say they won't either. But I can say that I know at least one method exists that defies the above conventional wisdom.

Hopefully, that is optimistic enough to make up for any panic triggers you might have suffered! 

Hi Bob,

It seems improvable that Ripple has deployed any way to give away some of their xrp, otherwise we would probably know about it. Ripple is very open about their distribution models.

We only see free methods through charitable initiatives and through Xpring (which may be free or not depending on the project). The other ways they sell is through programatic sales (probably an algorithmic design based on current volume trades), and OTC to new FI partners (based on legal contracts).

Is the system you've analysed related to the creation of new utility as you do the distribution? similar to what they do with Xpring, or is it a mathematical model which could be implemented through the programatic sales they do currently?

I personally think that the distribution of XRP is one of the most difficult tasks the creators had to face. You said that Ripple finishing with a big quantity by chance is a good thing, I do agree, as they are doing a good job with their resources, but I also think that at the current stage, where we have mature products and the markets seems ready to accept this technology, the % Ripple owns seems too high for the tech to be fully accepted as a WW ecosystem, even if it is in escrow.

Since the beginning of 2017, when XRP moved to the centre stage in the crypto ecosystem, a very small part of their holdings have moved to the open market, I personally think they should find more ways to accelerate that distribution, of course creating value for themselves as any company would do, but also for the ecosystem as a whole.