BobWay

Hi! I'm Bob

4 hours ago, Flintstone said:

@KarmaCoverage Is this along the lines of what you are working on!

I originally thought of, and still do think of KC as spreading risk across an escrow graph. After some conversations with @Mercury I realized the same financial flow arrangement goals could also be accomplished via a negative interest rate loan methodology.. which may additionally enable value flow across time,  in addition to, through the network of peers.

---

I havent read this whole thread yet, but I sincerely appreciate @BobWay's comments that I have read so far. 

Posted (edited)

Bob, Thanks for sharing your knowledge & thoughts on all things XRP & Ripple.

1. What are your thoughts on FB, Telegram potentially entering the cross border remittance space. Seeing how messaging apps like Wechat dominate

payments in the east,  I see them driving out the consumer facing Western Unions etc remittance companies in the long term. Will this be a positive or a

negative for Ripple/XRP?

2. Thoughts on the recent bidding war over Earthport by Visa and Mastercard. It seems like the tectonic plates are shifting behind the scenes and we

are only seeing minor eruptions on the surface.

Edited by strikerjax
added more content

Posted (edited)

@BobWayHello Bob,

Can you tell us anything about Ripples relationship with the Bank of England and the IMF? I would be really interested to know what potential relationships have been discussed.

Thanks 😀

Edited by Jtxrp

On 3/8/2019 at 6:36 PM, BobWay said:

I know I'm behind on a lot of other posts in this thread. I promise to catch up as soon as I can.

But I want to handle this one next. It makes me really happy that someone dug back into my history to see what I'm all about. Thanks for this @brotherblades!

I wrote the following back in May of 2013. Keep in mind this was before I joined OpenCoin. I was just a community member with the same opaque view of the company as anyone else. By that time I had studied the system deeply and understood its dynamics well. I'll let you read it before I make further comment.

@brotherblades questions:

I want to be clear in saying, I am holding XRP as a speculative investment. I also have identified two distinct upward price pressures on XRP as it becomes a successful bridge currency. Speculation in this case would be a third (likely correlated) reason through human nature, but I don't see a direct mathematical causation.

I've moderated that view based on some fairly deep personal analysis. As I said above, I'm now betting XRP will appreciate as it becomes a viable bridge currency.

Let's talk about what's changed. (Trigger warning) I might say some things that seem scary. It will all work out in the end.

I am one of the few people who wanted to work with Ripple and for OpenCoin DESPITE XRP. I'd grown up with the bitcoin community and I wasn't a fan of the needlessly scarcity currency model. There are lots of reasons why. If you really want to dig in, you can read what I wrote on bitcointalk. There I ran the first pseudo-group discussing stable coins.

So what did I like about Ripple if not XRP?  Well, everything else.  Creating your own currencies, creating your own accounting relationships, atomic multi-party payments, the distributed exchange. In a nutshell, the way the whole system fits together strikes me as created by gods own hand. It was and still is the most beautiful system I've ever seen. And to my mind at the time, XRP was a tool to help the system function. Not the primary reason for its existence.

-----

More to come, but I need to step away for a few...

Edit: I typed a bunch of really got stuff as a continuation to this post. Then I hit the wrong key and lost everything.

I'm going to get some dinner. I promise to finish this post tomorrow and it will have a more optimistic ending then the highlighted bits above would lead you to believe.

Bob, Thank You for some great information and thoughts on XRP, Ripple, and beyond, I just wanted to ask - if you do have "a more optimistic ending" that you have promised....please share......its always a 'Godspeed' to receive a nod that there is a light at the end of the tunnel//from The Lord himself!!! :connie_hooked:

@BobWay,

Thanks for all the clarifying information. 

Not sure if someone else asked you this because I'm still making my way through this whole thread.

What is the reason that you are coming out with this information now?

Is Ripple okay with it? It seems that you're still on good terms with them,  so I would guess that you wouldn't do it against their wishes.  However, giving out this amount of information seems to be against their philosophy (which of course I don't know. Just my feeling as an outsider).

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, joe91 said:

Bob, Thank You for some great information and thoughts on XRP, Ripple, and beyond, I just wanted to ask - if you do have "a more optimistic ending" that you have promised....please share......its always a 'Godspeed' to receive a nod that there is a light at the end of the tunnel//from The Lord himself!!! :connie_hooked:

Thanks for reminding me. It will be the next thing I post. Give me a little while to retype what I lost yesterday. I'm going to type it in a safer editor tonight...

1 minute ago, BobWay said:

Thanks for reminding me. It will be the next thing I post. Give me a little while to retype what I lost yesterday. I'm going to type it in a safer editor tonight...

Thank you Bob for all the great info and insight. Much appreciated! 

3 minutes ago, Ctrl-Z said:

However, giving out this amount of information seems to be against their philosophy (which of course I don't know. Just my feeling as an outsider).

I must disagree with this classification of their philosophy.  I think Ripple have been as open and transparent as it’s possible to be in a commercial setting.  I feel they have never set out to mislead,  and have been honest in their goals and aspirations.

At times they have been too straightforward for their own good...  they have mentioned issues and obstacles that other corporate entities would have made no mention of...

5 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

I must disagree with this classification of their philosophy.  I think Ripple have been as open and transparent as it’s possible to be in a commercial setting.  I feel they have never set out to mislead,  and have been honest in their goals and aspirations.

At times they have been too straightforward for their own good...  they have mentioned issues and obstacles that other corporate entities would have made no mention of...

No, no. Don't take it that way.

Ripple is transparent. As BG once said (about a year ago or a little less) regarding if he is trying to get XRP on coinbase - and I am not quoting the exact words - "I am trying to fix an institutional problem, not an investor's problem." I am messing up the quote, but it was something like that. This statement of his made me feel comfortable, because, as an investor, I want them to focus on the institutional problem. 

I think ripple has been focused on their work instead of focusing on feeding us information. I think this is good. But as Bob mentioned earlier on in this thread, ripple can seem opaque to outsiders. 

Let's face it, we are getting a whole lot more info from this thread than is coming out of ripple. I am fine with this, but is ripple also?

27 minutes ago, Ctrl-Z said:

Let's face it, we are getting a whole lot more info from this thread than is coming out of ripple. I am fine with this, but is ripple also?

Yes I take your points and agree.  I think Ripple have a fine line to walk and it can’t be easy...  Bob turning up lets us see a bit further inside and I think that’s great...  I assume Ripple are acting in good faith and do whatever is best for the xrp ecosystem.  That involves judgement calls and I’m sure they get it wrong now and then...  I can think of a few missteps myself.  

I look forward to the books that will be written about the dawn of IoV and Bob will no doubt write one of them.

33 minutes ago, lucky said:

However, there should not be a problem if the taxes are redistributed at the same velocity as they are charged.

Oh wow...  you’ve blown my mind!   Thanks.  :)   Much to think about in your post.

16 hours ago, xrphilosophy said:

Hi Bob!  Thanks very much for your presence.  A lot of information imparted already in this wonderful discussion   I hope every major banker around the world reads this honest back and forth.  They may learn something...

There still seems to be severely murky areas in the discussion of the (possible) value of an XRP, which I suppose eventually can be cast off in another thread as others have suggested.

But for now can you clarify the statement above?  Why is Ripple not sure what they'd like "us" to do regards the buying and selling of XRP?  What exactly does that mean?  Does this statement connect to your other comments that this is a primarily speculative and not utility driven market?      

I hope you're enjoying this as much as I have been.  I appreciate your candid responses.

(I would say a blog not a book as it may reach more people).  Best to you!