Jump to content
BobWay

Hi! I'm Bob

Recommended Posts

Can you tell us anything about the Ripple patents that have designated you as "inventor"?  Are those more related to the underlying tech of the protocol or the enterprise products that Ripple has developed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BobWay said:

Actually, I've never been on a forum that has clubs. I looked over a couple last night and they seem like mini forums. Do I understand that correctly?

I'm very much in favor of finding a way to organize this into a bunch of separate threads. If a club seems like the right bit of tech to do that, then I'm 100% in favor of doing so. Who can help get that started?

That's exactly what they are but are owned by the member who starts them. the owner controls the members and can appoint mods of their choosing. So if I were you I would start a club and come up with topics that are in the form of questions that have been asked that have received a lot of attention for example;

  • Who is bearable guy 123?
  • Wen moon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jmrichky said:

Can you tell us anything about the Ripple patents that have designated you as "inventor"?  Are those more related to the underlying tech of the protocol or the enterprise products that Ripple has developed?

I can talk about the published ones. I'll have to take a look to see which ones those are.

I can't talk about what or why Ripple was doing specifically, but I can talk about patents in general. In general, you patent "an invention" rather than a product. So I think it is fair to say that they are for underlying tech.

It's well known that Ripple has been an open source company. You can find most everything on GitHub. In crypto you really have to be open if you want others to trust in the tech, know it is secure, and to know that the developers don't have any backdoors or other strategic advantage. Now it seems like open source protocols and patents should be mutually exclusive, but in legal terms they aren't.

It is possible that you invent some cool tech and publish it, but then someone else sees it and decides to file a patent on it. Maybe with a minor modification, maybe not. It turns out the US has become a first to file country. So if you write it up and file it, you are presumed the inventor. If someone else invented it but decided not to file for a patent, they have to contest your filing after the fact. So there is a concept lawyers call "defensive patents". It means to file a patent to guarantee that you have the right to use your invention.

An offensive patent, on the other hand, implies one that the filer intends to use to stop someone else from using the invention. Or at minimum to demand licensing fees for using the invention.

I'm not at liberty to talk about why Ripple filed each specific patent.

Actually, if you were to look up the patents, and ask me about the ones you don't understand from reading, that might be more appropriate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wealth of knowledge is a understatement reminds me of talking to a engineer from N.A.S.A!!

It seems by 1 post you do not subscribe to these high XRP price predictions made by many in the XRParmy and hold XRP as a speculative investment only (meaning it may or may not go up).

For those holding waiting believing in stratospheric gains $100, $500$, $1000 per XRP what do you say?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you thought about possibly auctioning off any of your official ripple merch like shirts, bags and sort for xrp. You could donate to the st. Jude or may of the great xrp charities just a thought. I saw in your post you have various items but wasn't sure how attached you were to those things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BobWay said:

@nikb is certainly not panicked. We discussed me wanting to get back involve with the community when we had pizza in Vegas. He thought it was a good idea then.

I doubt Brad is thinking about it at all. He has much more important things on is mind. As I said before Brad is a great guy and Ripple is in great hands under his leadership. Don't expect a bunch of "gotcha Ripple" post from me. I'm happy to talk about mistakes or missed opportunities I think the company has made historically. But no of those are like, "...and then we hit this huge iceberg and the whole ship sunk!" The are more like, "damn, we missed that left turn. Now we have to drive all the way around the block!"

But I think if I'm going to convert everyone in this forum into well informed and compelling Ripple zealots (cool goal huh!) then you need to understand what hasn't worked as well as what I think will work going forward.

Bob, I would like to hear about some of the missteps or missed opportunities, but I doubt you will have time with everyone's insatiable curiosity :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BobWayHello, Bob!  Welcome to this community and thank you for your contributions both at Ripple and here.  It is like getting a peak behind the curtain at a magic show!

My Question:  How do you see IBM/Stellar as a competitor to Ripple?  From my perspective, they have a chance to be Coke/Pepsi.  One of the resistance points of legacy banking is that the banks have traditionally invested in and designed their own systems and software (the spaghetti) on IBM machines.  IBM seems dedicated to not missing the boat on the hardware vs. software divide this time around.  Add to this, the banks have invested $billions in their systems that they would in large part scrap to transition to Ripple.  I think this gives IBM/Stellar a leg up in that part of the market.  Conversely, Ripple has a leg up on the non-legacy banking system and in the traditionally non-banked markets.  Jed McCaleb and Jesse Lund will be launching Money 20/20 on March 19th in Singapore and have promised an exciting announcement.  As an investor, I'm evenly split between the two.  Can you share any thoughts you have, particularly around Mr. McCaleb and how his new business might interact with his old one?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You surely know which patents that are published that have your name on them.

I only ask about about patents because Craig Wright has recently claimed that he has patented every tech, use case, and beyond.  What is your say in that?

1 hour ago, BobWay said:

I can talk about the published ones. I'll have to take a look to see which ones those are.

I can't talk about what or why Ripple was doing specifically, but I can talk about patents in general. In general, you patent "an invention" rather than a product. So I think it is fair to say that they are for underlying tech.

It's well known that Ripple has been an open source company. You can find most everything on GitHub. In crypto you really have to be open if you want others to trust in the tech, know it is secure, and to know that the developers don't have any backdoors or other strategic advantage. Now it seems like open source protocols and patents should be mutually exclusive, but in legal terms they aren't.

It is possible that you invent some cool tech and publish it, but then someone else sees it and decides to file a patent on it. Maybe with a minor modification, maybe not. It turns out the US has become a first to file country. So if you write it up and file it, you are presumed the inventor. If someone else invented it but decided not to file for a patent, they have to contest your filing after the fact. So there is a concept lawyers call "defensive patents". It means to file a patent to guarantee that you have the right to use your invention.

An offensive patent, on the other hand, implies one that the filer intends to use to stop someone else from using the invention. Or at minimum to demand licensing fees for using the invention.

I'm not at liberty to talk about why Ripple filed each specific patent.

Actually, if you were to look up the patents, and ask me about the ones you don't understand from reading, that might be more appropriate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BobWay said:

Actually, I've never been on a forum that has clubs. I looked over a couple last night and they seem like mini forums. Do I understand that correctly?

I'm very much in favor of finding a way to organize this into a bunch of separate threads. If a club seems like the right bit of tech to do that, then I'm 100% in favor of doing so. Who can help get that started?

Hi @BobWay , I'm not sure how to start a club up for you , perhaps the staff here like @Pablo or @karlos could help in that manner and set something up for you. As for moderators, you could appoint them as you see fit, there's definitely some level headed members that have already contributed to this thread and have been in the forum along time. That will grow organically with time.  So hopefully you liaise with the staff and your guided in the right direction. I hope you enjoyed your steak dinner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BobWay

Hi Bob.  Thanks for this great thread and insightful ponderings.

There remains just one more set of questions which, if answered correctly, will prove your worth and true identity.  It is called the Binary Musical Triskelion Verification or BMTV and is listed below.

1) Beatles or Stones

2) Page or Van Halen

3) Mariah or Whitney

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, CurrencyGuy said:

There remains just one more set of questions which, if answered correctly, will prove your worth and true identity.  It is called the Binary Musical Triskelion Verification or BMTV and is listed below.

 1) Beatles or Stones

 2) Page or Van Halen

3) Mariah or Whitney

I know the test was not for me but I thought I’d find out my Triskelion identity...

Oh dear....  turns out I have some sort of Quantum Identity...   a superposition of 6 possible identity states...  because I like them all.

I’d like to pick just one....   but I’m all Heisenburgy about the possibilities.   :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Bob,

First of all it is amazing to finally get clarity on a lot of things that was a bit vague.Thank a ton :):) Could you kindly throw some light to the following theories that has been creating a lot of ruckus and dividing the community,

 

1)The infamous Bearableguy123 589$ Theory.

2)The Shane Ellis theory

3)50+$ in 24 hrs theory by Kichiro Fukui.

Any truth in any of these theories?Your answer could help put a lot of mind to rest :)

Edited by buzzearthling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...