BobWay

Hi! I'm Bob

37 minutes ago, BANKXRP said:

Hi Bob i feel Canada banks are underestimated by many people. Could you elaborate on how deep they really are. What they are most interested in using or are using. Rewards points come to mind. Does RBC cross border banking run on ripple. Thats actually how i found out about ripple. How about TD cross border banking.

Any information on xPool

Thanks for all your answers.

In Canada there are people of many nationalities. And many send money back to their country of origin. I have heard that there is a company with a very good solution for this sending money out of the country. And it's not sending the money in a suitcase by plane or the slower swift solution.

@BobWay I must confess that when I saw your "Hi! I'm Bob" post a few days ago, I thought to myself, "Here we go again, either another newbie or someone coming to spread FUD yaaaah...." So, I ignored the thread because I didn't feel bothered, but day-after-day I kept seeing your thread within the top 6 of Active Topics being discussed and was thinking to myself, "Who is this damn Bob character?" So, I decided to take the plunge and soooo glad that I did. At first, I was very much a skeptic as we have seen many "so-called insiders" and "imposters" that have tried to weasel their way into the forum just to stir up drama etc. However, I thank you for your insight behind the "Iron Curtain" of Ripple (joking). You have been a breath of fresh air to the community here.

I could've missed this topic being discussed but was wondering if you could provide some insight into Codius and Ripple's plan for how they intend to execute and promote the platform. Codius has been flying under the radar and in incognito mode for quite some time.  I just wish we had more insight into what's going on with Codius. It seems to have gone incognito again. The last bit of news I've heard about Codius was from David Schwartz at the Unchain conference (26:37 – 28:18) July of last year where he stated that Ripple had most of the design built and ready to go, but did not think Ripple had the engineering resources available to fully execute the platform. However, he did mention the possibility that Ripple could fund the execution of the Codius platform via their xPring initiative. 

Posted (edited)

Hey Bob, welcome to XRPchat and thanks for your contributions!

Could you please tell us some things about the early days of Ripple, as that information seems to be fairly fragmented?

E.g. what was the origin of the name Ripple, was it a thing Ryan Fugger came up with? What was his contribution? Also, what was exactly the role of Jed? David recently mentioned: "Jed had the original idea to use a distributed agreement algorithm instead of PoW to solve the double spend problem in a distributed ledger. He hired me in late 2011 to see if that was possible and, if so, if it was good for anything."

As we mostly hear things about Jed like the MtGox story, Jed leaving Ripple with some issues, I wonder how you guys feel/think about him.

Also, the road that did lead to the current focus of Ripple, was that primarily inspired by Chris? Was there much input from the Ripple investors (i.e. strategic investors/venture capital firms)?

Last one for now, I promise ;) ... what do you think that we as a community could do to support Ripple, XRP and IoV in general?

Edited by Rey
typo

@BobWay, thank you again for taking the time to answer our questions and share your wisdom and experience. This thread has been a much needed breath of fresh-air here! I look forward to reading more of your posts as you have time to respond to them.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for this thread, Bob, it's really enlightening. I realize you're swamped now with questions, but I'm curious about a few things and forgive my highly limited understanding of technical concepts so some of the questions might not even make sense (if so, just ignore):

1/ If Ripple are serious about making XRP a global bridging/settlement asset, how are they planning to lift the relatively low ~1,500 txps limit to on-ledger scaling?

2/ (a) Do you know much about Elixxir (Chaum's latest endeavour, backed by Larsen) and if so, can you comment on it i.e. its supposed potential to scale "limitlessly" using pre-computation methods? (b) Could Ripple hypothetically "borrow" some tech and even upgrade the XRPL if it was proven to scale as per the claim, or are the technologies just too different?)

3/ How far can the DEX concept go? For example, I don't really understand what having trustlines over ILP means, but I've heard it mentioned, and you mentioned ILP accounts. But what's the account "on" if it's just over ILP? If you can decentralize exchange of value via Gateways on XRPL, and Ripple pivoted to ILP bank ledgers instead of Gateway issuances, could we just end up with a kind of ILP-DEX using XRPL as a "hub" for distributed orderbooks too? (Sorry if that's a dumb Q for obvious reasons I can't visualize).

4/ Riffing on the above, how much dev time went into autobridging, synthetic orderbooks and so forth at Ripple; was it abandoned or ever end up in commercial products?

5/ I imagine Ripple sort of ending up like a Google for payment routing, with a hub model. I guess one could theoretically decentralize search, but in practice it wouldn't work well because centralized governance leads to focused innovation. Ultimately do you see XRPL becoming an automated hub for payment searching/routing over an ILP global infrastructure, a bit like Google is a hub for searching data?

Thanks! :)

Edited by zerpdigger