Ryyy20

Susan Athey gives lecture at Stanford, BTC maxi cries

7 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

I was blown away the first time I heard BTC is a support for the Solar industry and therefore a Good Thing.  

If you can believe that then I have a bridge I want to sell you...

People make themselves believe all kind of nonsense (us included, but in this specific case we are right about the energy usage of bitcoin).

Funny thing is some of the comments in the thread say bitcoin lightning is going to make XRP obsolete. The lightning network crashed on testing micropayments from what I’ve read. If it can’t even handle that, it’s got a loooong way to go. Reading threads like that one just make me laugh.

12 hours ago, NightJanitor said:

Now, if she shuts him down and won't answer, then she has no place in the classroom - but there's a line there, as well, as many of these kids want to lecture, before they know anything, these days, and maintaining classroom control and not letting the "activists" (for whatever reason) interrupt the education of all the other students is also a priority...

Meta, this doesn't surprise me very much.  The lower schools seem to be cranking out kids who haven't been exposed to critical thinking and just want their "ideas" reinforced.

And if they aren't coddled... well, that's what they think Twitter was designed to handle, via the stirring up of a "faux outrage mob" that, they hope, will imperil the teacher's job...

Tired of that.  Grow up, get with the program.  Ask your questions.  Seek out your teacher.  Get sources.  Do the reading.  Have better/more questions, after?  Delighted teacher!

download.jpg

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/stanford-student-calls-out-crypto-professor-inaccurate-bitcoin-lecture/

In January of 2019, student Conner Brown attended a guest lecture by a Professor Susan Athey at the University of Stanford Graduate School. She gave a presentation to his “Evolution of Finance” class titled “Blockchain and the Future of Finance.” According to Brown, the presentation contained “multiple misstatements” about Bitcoin and its fundamentals.

You can view Susan Athey's full presentation here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oLHfKorF3PVTZr4sTdMfmYlisNwNJLbB/view

You can view Conner Brown's letter here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MA5I08fBY-b_oOPm9drWZ523sdPVw5WBiD5y32SKsJU/edit

Susan Athey is the Economics of Technology Professor at Stanford Graduate School of Business.  She received her bachelor’s degree from Duke University and her PhD from Stanford, and she holds an honorary doctorate from Duke University. She previously taught at the economics departments at MIT, Stanford and Harvard. Her current research focuses on the economics of digitization, marketplace design, and the intersection of econometrics and machine learning.  She has worked on several application areas, including timber auctions, internet search, online advertising, the news media, and virtual currency. As one of the first “tech economists,” she served as consulting chief economist for Microsoft Corporation for six years, and now serves on the boards of Expedia, Rover, and Ripple.  She also serves as a long-term advisor to the British Columbia Ministry of Forests, helping architect and implement their auction-based pricing system.

Yeah, sit down and shut up son. You might actually learn something.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, StellaBlueZerps said:

BTC guy:  “That being said, Bitcoin is a creature of the internet. Its properties are difficult for academics to appreciate due to its deeply interdisciplinary and evolutionary nature. This makes it difficult for developing a curriculum because of the siloed design of academic disciplines and the slow pace of the peer review process. The internet will always be the best place to pursue a Bitcoin education.

Translation:  "I have a smartphone.  You are too old to get it."

Called it!  He wants to teach the class (and is a cry-bully). B)

Edited by NightJanitor
"Kids these days."