cmbartley

Discontinue xrpcharts.ripple.com

1 hour ago, cmbartley said:

Most exchanges that link transactions to a ledger explorer use xrpcharts which is run, owned, and maintained by a company who claims they have no control over the network; but the fact their product serves as the de facto ledger explorer doesn't help their case.

I tend to disagree, the reason their product serves as the de facto ledger explorer is because it was by default the first. I'm also pretty sure any developer worth his/her salt who wants to work on the XRPL would already know the status of Ripple and their lack of control.

Edited by Trickery

The ledger is open source. But some people can't use it? Can't even display aggregated data? 

Come on, seriously. How does displaying aggregated data from an open network pose any threat? 

Edited by Guest

27 minutes ago, LordVetinari said:

The ledger is open source. But some people can't use it? Can't even display aggregated data? 

Come on, seriously. How does displaying aggregated data from an open network pose any threat? 

Huh?   What am I missing?   Did a post get deleted or something?

I kinda agree with what you are saying, but on the other hand, I find xrpcharts very insightful and useful. I haven't seen all functionality yet in other currently available tools.

One page in particular would be interesting, namely the https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/validators page. https://data.ripple.com is sort of the backend from xrpcharts and contains some knowledge that only the company Ripple can know. In particular the knowledge of which domain belongs to which validator is only available at data.ripple.com. Coupling a validator pubkey to domain name is sort of one of Ripples prerequisites for becoming a validator on their UNL. But as matter of fact, https://github.com/ripple/rippled/pull/2836 will make this information available in other ways. I think the other information is already attainable via other means than data.ripple.com.

Because Ripple is the creator and maintainer of the currently most important UNL, I do think they should keep on publishing the info for their UNL as good and transparant as they can.

The other info on xrpcharts.ripple.com should ideally be available in other tools.

44 minutes ago, lucky said:

XRP is centralized" posts, I come to the conclusion they all boil down to Ripple owning 60% of the tokens.

I agree this is a problem for Ripple and will remain so until the distribution landscape looks very different. 

Ripple distancing itself from XRP through their 2018 rebranding campaign

Part of the problem is that other than decentralizing the UNL, their distancing was mostly rhetorical.

Abandoning xrpcharts will not change the ownership issue, therefore it will do nothing for the "XRP is centralized"  argument, and will give further amno to the hypocrites argument

I disagree because Ripple does not need to make annig deal about discontinuing xrpcharts, they simply need to pull it from the website they can still host the code at github. The point would be that commercial entities would not be able to link directly link to ripple's website for this data and the perception might slowly change over time as the ecosystem seems, and is, less dependent on Ripple.

I love xrpcharts. There is no other chart that matches its visual quality. Ripple should be proud on that, and not abandon it.

It's awesome, but it's existence may have stiffled independent development. 

2 hours ago, BrownBear said:

People who view the XRPL as centralised will continue to do so regardless of who maintains an explorer.  

It's FUD.

Name a non-Ripple employee who has the power to update the official rippled code on github.

Edited by cmbartley

I tell you why I wouldn't build anything on RXPL (but my opinion is changing):

• XRPL was centralized until mid 2018. All the nodes in the UNL of basically every server were controlled by Ripple. You can understand that building a business with a piece of software that basically could stop anytime because it's owned by a single company is not that good (unless you sign contracts with this company and they guarantee you the service and so on). But in 2018 the things changed and we moved to decentralization which was awesome IMO.
  • TPS: Ripple claims the XRPL can handle 1500 TPS but I haven't seen any theoretical nor practical proof of this. Imagine I build a decentralized exchange on XRPL and then 1M users sign up and we discover that XRPL can only handle 100TPS. It would be a disaster.
  • Interfaces: ripple-lib seems the most advanced tool to interact with XRPL, but the documentation sucked until last year, and it is continuously changing making impossible (or very time/resource consuming) to build something with it. In 2018 we have seen lots of changes, but maybe next year Ripple will hire someone else and he will change everything again as already happened (3 times already). One can build their own tools to interact with rippled but since it's a very complex system it'd requires lot of work.

But as I said things are getting better and better...so maybe it's just a matter of time.

1 minute ago, tulo said:

I tell you why I wouldn't build anything on RXPL (but my opinion is changing):

• XRPL was centralized until mid 2018. All the nodes in the UNL of basically every server were controlled by Ripple. You can understand that building a business with a piece of software that basically could stop anytime because it's owned by a single company is not that good (unless you sign contracts with this company and they guarantee you the service and so on). But in 2018 the things changed and we moved to decentralization which was awesome IMO.
  • TPS: Ripple claims the XRPL can handle 1500 TPS but I haven't seen any theoretical nor practical proof of this. Imagine I build a decentralized exchange on XRPL and then 1M users sign up and we discover that XRPL can only handle 100TPS. It would be a disaster.
  • Interfaces: ripple-lib seems the most advanced tool to interact with XRPL, but the documentation sucked until last year, and it is continuously changing making impossible (or very time/resource consuming) to build something with it. In 2018 we have seen lots of changes, but maybe next year Ripple will hire someone else and he will change everything again as already happened (3 times already). One can build their own tools to interact with rippled but since it's a very complex system it'd requires lot of work.

But as I said things are getting better and better...so maybe it's just a matter of time.

Thanks for your perspective. Ripple still is the single entity with sufficient resources to make the ecosystem friendly to independent developers. No other entity has as much skin in the game. It seems that part of the reason they funded XRPLLABS was in order to support the idependent development of more infrastructure, that's the message came through from Wieste's AMA anyway.  BigQuery was the first step and the signing platform will be another piece of intermediate infrastructure that I presume will make the lives of other devs easier. 

I'm not a dev myself but have been reading since 2014 that the documentation was poor.