Jump to content
Rickyh89

XRP ledger available for developer ideas

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, devnullprod said:

Awesome, no sweat, the beauty about being to the game this early is there are so many possibilities for implementations. They way we see it is it doesn't even matter if there is some overlap in feature sets between sites, different users have different preferences and will be drawn to different platforms and interfaces. We each just have to doing our own awesome thing and the entire ecosystem will benefit as a whole (including increased adoption of XRP). As features shore up and developer interest becomes more concrete different groups can come together and collaborate in different ways.

Definitely looking forwards to seeing what you'll produce, keep us posted!

3

(emphasis mine)

Well said. People come from diverse backgrounds and everyone has a different taste and preference. Giving more choice to users benefits everyone in the ecosystem!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure how to say this.   

I’m slightly worried about but also pleased to see this dev take up of ledger capabilities.

I wish you all well,  and hope you all bloom into giant services.  But at the same time I’m slightly worried about something that isn’t discussed much (at least to my knowledge these days it hasn’t been...).

My concern is around the possible ramifications of us all pulling open the curtains behind which enterprises normally function.  

Banks are all about privacy, and I do wonder what the ramifications of pulling this data apart might be in regards to their possible take up of the technology.

I’m sure that Ripple have worked through all this and have a way for enterprises to ensure the privacy that is both their expectation and their right.  It’s a bit of a double-edged sword that the ledger is both secure and public.

But irrespective of any slight misgivings I might have,  there is no way to stop human ingenuity,  so trying to avoid looking into the ledger would never work.   So knowing that deep data mining is inevitable on the ledger,  I guess I just have to trust that Ripple and R3 and everyone else developing payments applications are able to assuage and mitigate any client fears about their privacy.

I assume that these ramifications have all been discussed and dealt with in the Ripple/R3 organisations,  and therefore will not be an issue.  At least I hope so.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah sure... it’s a community project. I put some money up for server to get us going and see where we end up with traffic. Hopefully people are interested when done.

Coil it [emoji57]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

I’m not sure how to say this.   

I’m slightly worried about but also pleased to see this dev take up of ledger capabilities.

I wish you all well,  and hope you all bloom into giant services.  But at the same time I’m slightly worried about something that isn’t discussed much (at least to my knowledge these days it hasn’t been...).

My concern is around the possible ramifications of us all pulling open the curtains behind which enterprises normally function.  

Banks are all about privacy, and I do wonder what the ramifications of pulling this data apart might be in regards to their possible take up of the technology.

I’m sure that Ripple have worked through all this and have a way for enterprises to ensure the privacy that is both their expectation and their right.  It’s a bit of a double-edged sword that the ledger is both secure and public.

But irrespective of any slight misgivings I might have,  there is no way to stop human ingenuity,  so trying to avoid looking into the ledger would never work.   So knowing that deep data mining is inevitable on the ledger,  I guess I just have to trust that Ripple and R3 and everyone else developing payments applications are able to assuage and mitigate any client fears about their privacy.

I assume that these ramifications have all been discussed and dealt with in the Ripple/R3 organisations,  and therefore will not be an issue.  At least I hope so.  :) 

So here is my take on this because I’m sure every person who digs into ledger has thought before doing so lol. Having the ledger be so open and having people dissect it is more to our benefit to show people how decentralized and open xrp really is. Each and every one of us can host a node,  use the ripple API, use various coding languages to write tools and programs for XRP etc. this should really be embraced.

to address your main concern, IMO I think if we were not actively dissecting all of ripples transactions and escrow, someone else would be without good intentions. At least we are putting out complete information and not just select portions which allow FUD. Also, I think the more we get into the research, the faster we could see the escrow get reduced. As much as I think ripple has a master plan for the escrow up until depletion, this could be their biggest weakness(in XRP success, not ripple). Consider it like competition, it forces them to be on their A game. The more information we make available the better.

As for the banking industry liking their privacy, I think this is good for them. Banks have been held back IMO with these vostro / nostro accounts. Due to that the use of XRP is inevitable and is just a matter of time. What we try to track is volume between exchanges in different areas. If this information were to be public, I really do not think it would affect banks. No one cares how much xrp a bank holds because they are not selling it for profit, they’re using it to benefit the customers. Don’t forget that xrapid providers have been publicly putting the successes of xrapid in media. This is honestly advertisement for them. If you had to send money to family in another country, would you go to place that takes 5 days and might somehow just lose the transaction, as well as pay huge fees(let’s face it so many people send money home WEEKLY to family) or would you go to a place who is essentially advertising they can send money for low cost and basically instantly.

finally, DON’T shun me for this and this is my personal view, not the view of our group. If you think about supposedly where the bitcoin maxi point is, many want the transparency of the banks. The banking industry is moving into a new era and IMO we now have a way to shape that industry. Not completely reforming banks or getting rid of currency(whatever extreme views people have), but we can form how new companies like ripple(who influences banks because they have product needed by them) produce products. If XRP were to not be purchased by normal people and only by banks than it would ruin settlement. They need us and this goes for any coin that may compete in the space. Ripple needs us to use XRP for regular day to day stuff to supply on and off ramps for xrapid settlement because one day if xrp is $589 than it’s doubtful any of us will still be holding bags, also I don’t see people buying it for investment. It needs to have real use case for everyday people and not just banks(xspring). If we continue to demand openness and transparency through whatever process we can(tools,website,media etc) then it’s much more likely companies moving forward accept this as a new normal. Do not think banks at this point still think crypto will go away.

sorry for the rant there haha. Also I am on my phone so hard to really go over this several times for grammar so go easy on me. To sum it up, the more we force transparency the better the end result is for us moving forward in crypto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rickyh89 said:

sorry for the rant there haha. Also I am on my phone so hard to really go over this several times for grammar so go easy on me. To sum it up, the more we force transparency the better the end result is for us moving forward in crypto.

that was a great reading, thanks for your time ranting it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, xrpscan said:

This looks like a great initiative! You are correct in your assertion that xrpscan.com doesn't do deep ledger analytics. That, in fact, is our current goal - to provide great UX for shallow XRPL queries and aim to be the fastest ledger explorer. We use Ripple's Data API in 3 places:

  • Historical transactions
  • Historical payments
  • Validator analytics

Everything else is powered by our own rippled instance. Ours isn't configured as a full history server, but it's great to see other projects setting up full history servers.

That said, if you're interested we can contribute our cache of RippleTrade username mappings. Let me know what you think!

First I have to say that I meant nothing negative by saying it’s API calls. Honestly anything at all being hosted and able to be used by everyday people is contributing in a huge way. The first project I was doing was just simple program to let users run every individual API call offered by ripple inside a GUI program. It was allowing them to click which type of input was allowed for each call and how the ledger responded. Stuff like this lets people be hands on and then see how cool he ledger reallly is. We all are operating within the same scope of information and it does make it tough to start a new project with just the information. We all end up repeating same information at some point. I initially wanted one place for everyone to get full access but after starting this I quickly realized that would be one big ass site haha. Any way we can help you out or if you feel want to help us then I’m all in! Keep us in mind if needing queries done or something else we can do.

Edited by Rickyh89

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, cmbartley said:

Anyone know who runs the 5 unverified validators on UNL?

https://xrpscan.com/validators

Ripple knows.

Also external viewers of that data don't seem to store this information over time and just display the results of recent API calls from the same place, so it is a bit hard to find out once they drop out of Google's Cache.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

Ripple knows.

Also external viewers of that data don't seem to store this information over time and just display the results of recent API calls from the same place, so it is a bit hard to find out once they drop out of Google's Cache.

Thanks, looks like someone has stored the associations: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...