devnullprod

Another Question: Out of order transactions in a ledger

Today just doesn't seem to be my day! While tuning and verifying our db I noticed a particular situation with some ledger traffic that seemed to trip up our synchronization system. The incident which we noted was in ledger 45263657 particularily with the two transactions originating from "rQK6HjFraXpWo4RiKKjuumrnrZpTFDtbAX".

https://wipple.devnull.network/live/ledgers/45263657

This particular case is a bit strange because they appear in the transaction log appearingly out of order (Sequence 109 is before 108), the later is right after the former, and the former deletes a RippleState object which is modified in the later. It is our understanding that if a transaction comes in out of order rippled will hold onto it for a while or until the sequenent missing transactions comes in, so perhaps this is the case there, but my question is why the transaction list in the ledger would not be sorted by final transaction application order? Also how can one reconstitute this order for use of tracking changes locally.

Thanks again!

I think your ordering is off. I haven't looked deeply into transaction metadata, but from a quick glance I'd assume transactions must be sorted according to the metaData.TransactionIndex field of each transaction, not in the order that rippled sends them to you.

Interestingly, the documentation is slightly wrong (an index of "2" means it is the third transaction of the ledger because the field starts at 0, not 1).

Glad I could help, please donate to Wikipedia or the TOR project instead of tipping me.

30 minutes ago, cmbartley said:

So why won't Ripple respond to Sukrim's job application?...

That was 2-3 years ago, and it was an inquiry, not an application. Also Rome is the wrong person for that anyways. Thanks for following up on my behalf, but I'm more than capable myself of bugging Ripple about stuff. ;-)

17 hours ago, Sukrim said:

That was 2-3 years ago, and it was an inquiry, not an application. Also Rome is the wrong person for that anyways. Thanks for following up on my behalf, but I'm more than capable myself of bugging Ripple about stuff. ;-)

True.

On 2/21/2019 at 12:45 PM, Sukrim said:

I think your ordering is off. I haven't looked deeply into transaction metadata, but from a quick glance I'd assume transactions must be sorted according to the metaData.TransactionIndex field of each transaction, not in the order that rippled sends them to you.

Exactly right. The order you get the transactions back is undefined (but is, currently, hash order).

The TransactionIndex field contains the proper index and should used to sort the transaction set for a given ledger.