mDuo13

New, Interactive XRP-Sending Tutorial

Love it! Great idea as far as demonstrating working functionality right in the documentation. Perfect use of the testnet! (Both the docs and the testnet have been an invaluable resource as far as understanding and testing the XRPL, keep up the great work!)

This reminds me of another idea we were mulling about pertaining to documentation / demonstration. We were thinking of throwing together a user-friendly guide to XRP for novices / newbies, something explaining what it is at a very high level (perhaps something similar to howhttps.works or why's poignant guide but with unique artistic style / content). Perhaps this could expand upon the idea presented here and embed some user-friendly way to send payments across the testnet ("click this button"... "look you've just transferred $100 USD across the network!")

Unfortunately we have too many other priorities at the moment so can't do this one justice, but perhaps if there is interest we could do this as a community effort, with a few members of the community collaborating on different fronts (an artist would be need).

Whaddya think #XRPCommunity? Yay or nay?!

2 minutes ago, devnullprod said:

Talk about timing @Hodor! (great posters hit 'submit' alike!) Would love to get your thoughts, if we did manage to throw something like this together, think we could get it up on the community blog?!?! :)

1. I think this is an absolutely fantastic idea.
  2. It's a poor fit for a "time-expiring" content site like a blog.

I think what you (or 'we' if you're envisioning this as a community project) would need to do is find a permanent home for such content, where it's easily accessible via:

1. Permalink or
  2. Intuitive navigation. 

That being said, I will definitely promote it in a blog when the content is available.  It's always good to have great introductory material for new XRP fans.  In many of the other networks, there is a nonprofit organization (loosely defined) that organizes that type of content.  We could host it on xrp.co or one of Wietse's sites if he's open to it. 

Just tag Wietse into the conversation when you think it's appropriate. 

@devnullprod Yes, that would be great!

I would also like to see a bit more security advice about connecting your local machine with the outside world. I’ve only used (struggled with :) ) RippleAPI in offline mode which you kindly helped me out with before, but I’m wary of connecting my airgapped Pi to the internet.

I’m guessing my fear is not needed as much as I think it is as I use online banking etc on my PC, without worry, but the world of crypto wallets and key-pairs begins with secrets and security.

@Flintstone definitely! Though would have to say that level of detail would be more suited for an involved technical guide where the consumer is at least an acquainted end user, already familiar with the basic concepts. The concept that I was thinking about would moreso be a handful of pages (or perhaps 'panels') mostly constituted of comic-like content, which would start with general economic trade & banking concepts that most adults can grasp and eventually evolve into the top level features of XRP and what it brings to the table. Something you could show to your grandparents who are acquainted with writing checks and perhaps wiring money / using western union, and use that knowledge to help them understand the XRP 'brand'.

Edited by devnullprod

@Hodor awesome, great to have your support! I'll put this out there, if we can find an artist that would be willing to do the final illustrations, we'd be willing to build and host the site, and even storyboard it if need be. Agree that this would work best as a easy-to-find / navigate independent sort of thing, where you can give the link to someone and they can easily click through like a book.

Hey, I have a server that is being used to host xrp content. No reason why couldn’t be used for what your intending! We already have the ledger downloaded for easy access to queries and debating hosting a node, just need some more developers for that side of project. 

I'm overjoyed that these docs are inspiring the community to start working on similar efforts. There's a lot of room for helpful content out there! You guys are doing great work.

I plan to continue to lead by example here, and I do have access to some professionals at Ripple, but I'm also very excited to see what the community puts together. Let's BUIDL together!

10 hours ago, devnullprod said:

where you can give the link to someone and they can easily click through like a book.

That would be very helpful for sharing with others!  :JC_doubleup: