cmbartley

Golem now listed on Poloniex

Interesting to see Ethereum subtokens @coinmarketcap already occupying the 10,11,19, 29 rankings. MakerDAO is not even listed (hould be somewhere in the 20-30 million range). The fact that the projects hold big amounts of their tokens in combination with their massive ETH reserves will guarantee that those projects are exceptionally well funded without any angel or VC related money. 

41 minutes ago, Hodor said:

I've never heard of this subtoken - what is the use case for Golem?

Decentralized computing. You sell your computer's ability to perform computational work similar to how StorJ sells excess storage space.

On 2/18/2017 at 2:37 PM, cmbartley said:

You sell your computer's ability to perform computational work

I love this idea!  There is another coin that sells your computer's excess physical hard disk space as well, if I'm not mistaken.  I posted a piece about it a long time ago, but I've forgotten the name....

53 minutes ago, Hodor said:

I love this idea!  There is another coin that sells your computer's excess physical hard disk space as well, if I'm not mistaken.  I posted a piece about it a long time ago, but I've forgotten the name....

StorJ and Sia are the companies that have decentralized storage protocols. StorJ is a bit like Ripple in that they're more corporate and hold the majority of their tokens. They're further along than Sis but looks like they need more funding. They were at 75% of the 1M funding goal om BnkToTheFuture last I checked.

Sia has a much smaller team but is starting to make legit progress. This year another company will launch a physical storage device that connects to the Sia protocol (https://minebox.io). There are many Sia tokens and the Sia inflation rate is very high right now but slows in the future. There are also Sia funds which are expensive but pay dividends. Most Sia funds are still owned by rhe company. 

I own small amounts of both tokens.

14 hours ago, papa said:

Like the SETI app?

Yes, except that you should be able to run relatively arbitrary tasks (not just one very specialized task). Probably more like a BOINC project.

But we'll see how will this pan out because there is a massive oversupply of processing power (unreliable and with slow connections).

Edited by T8493

18 minutes ago, kanaas said:

Isn't SETI a BOINC project?

Yes, it is, but @papa 's video shows separate (specialized) SETI app (not the BOINC manager running the SETI tasks)

Edited by T8493