Babelly

Escrow Sales, Who's buying?

Just wanted to touch on escrow sales.  Obviously 1 billion XRP are released each month with the majority being sent back to escrow.  These sales fund the ecosystem, Xpring, operational costs etc etc. Each month they sell roughly $300mm (don't quote me on that) roughly, depending on the month.  My question is, who are they selling to?  FI's are the obvious answer, but do we know any which one in particular.  NDA's probably protect such sales  confidentiality, but I frequent this forum pretty much daily and I've never seen any discussions or "TinFoil" hat theories who the actual buyers are.  

Our answers are pure speculation but if were going to entertain "Bearable Guy", "589", and SamIam to "50$ overnight" we might as well speculate on something that is concrete.  Any breadcrumbs to follow in regards who the actual buyers are?

Cheers and HODL

Your post got me thinking.. is BG123 thread still alive? Was surprised to learn that it is 192 pages and still counting! Oh, man.. Agent Mulder would have been so proud of them (us? you? me?)

On a serious note, why do you think all 300m are sold? I’d expect most of XRP to be distributed “for free” with certain strings attached. Maybe this is just my wishful thinking, I’d actually prefer this. 

2586F861-D70F-4996-B3E7-7F17C5FB29C7.jpeg

Edited by Lamberth

I believe since ripple is a private company they aren’t required to release any information to the public. And the escrow sales will remain confidential unless they decide one day to disclose that info. And yeah FIs and such are most likely the ones buying but I do remember seeing that they don’t sell to just anybody it has to be towards an institution that leverages xrp which is great for xrp and it’s holders imo.

26 minutes ago, Lamberth said:

Your post got me thinking.. is BG123 thread still alive? Was surprised to learn that it is 192 pages and still counting! Oh, man.. Agent Malder would have been so proud of them (us? you? me?)

On a serious note, why do you think all 300m are sold? I’d expect most of XRP to be distributed “for free” with certain strings attached. Maybe this is just my wishful thinking, I’d actually prefer this. 

2586F861-D70F-4996-B3E7-7F17C5FB29C7.jpeg

Bearableguy is alive and well. Still ahead of the curve too, just not on xrpchat. 

I had a discussion with Dr. T/XRPTrump on this topic on Twitter.  My theory is that Ripple distribute or sell XRP at a discount under NDA.  One way or another, they manage the supply/demand to maintain a low price which makes XRP more attractive to the FI's to buy/hold and eventually either sell or use for liquidity.  He didn't seem to be buying the theory or maybe I didn't do a good job of selling it.  But I'd be interested to hear if anyone thinks it's plausible. 

@Jtadaly I’ve endlessly debunked this belief in low priced OTC.  There is zero evidence for it,  and some credible, provable evidence for the opposite...  that the OTC sales are either mid point spread or even ABOVE current price.

There are also only airy fairy dreaming reasons why they would sell cheap, and sensible business reasons why they wouldn’t.  

I’m not interested in debating this though...  believe whatever suits.

If anybody ever sees even a skerric of evidence for cheap sales,  I’d love to see it because I’ve been arguing the opposite for what seems like an eternity.

5 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

@Jtadaly I’ve endlessly debunked this belief in low priced OTC.  There is zero evidence for it

5 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

If anybody ever sees even a skerric of evidence for cheap sales,  I’d love to see it because I’ve been arguing the opposite for what seems like an eternity.

Not conclusive, but Toast Wallet in their Discord certainly seemed to suggest it is (or was) an option.

9C6723B9-4D75-4A03-9FFB-91A180FDB087.thumb.png.146c61f4f31e4c3801b5b20ff216ce3a.png

24 minutes ago, XRP-JAG said:

Not conclusive, but Toast Wallet in their Discord certainly seemed to suggest it is (or was) an option.

9C6723B9-4D75-4A03-9FFB-91A180FDB087.thumb.png.146c61f4f31e4c3801b5b20ff216ce3a.png

Thanks for that.  It’s the first time I’ve seen it from anything other than random speculation.  

There was a time when direct FIAT to XRP was difficult for many people in various parts of the world.   Toast wallet would have been a viable option for those folk.  So it was perhaps a special case where it furthered Ripples XRP distribution ends and not just a FI buying OTC for its own use situation.  

But even that has now apparently been removed which if anything, further supports the idea that you don’t get XRP cheap OTC.

So it looks like it nearly was a situation in that special case where OTC would have been cheaper than spot, but it didn’t come to pass.  If anything it’s more evidence that there is no discounted xrp OTC.

@Tinyaccount

On a side note, it certainly would not appear beyond the realms of possibility that Ripple give, lend or discount XRP to further the adaption of the eco system. Also, you’d expect this all to be strictly under wraps. If bank A finds they paid more than Bank B... probably would not be impressed.

24 minutes ago, XRP-JAG said:

On a side note, it certainly would not appear beyond the realms of possibility that Ripple give, lend or discount XRP to further the adaption of the eco system.

Perhaps.  But as against that...   the 5 Billion XRP deal with R3 was revealed in court to be actually at a higher rate than current price and with selling restrictions.  Also David Schwartz has said they do not sell cheap.  

So I don’t think they do.  I could be wrong though.  

4 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

Perhaps.  But as against that...   the 5 Billion XRP deal with R3 was revealed in court to be actually at a higher rate than current price and with selling restrictions.  Also David Schwartz has said they do not sell cheap.  

So I don’t think they do.  I could be wrong though.  

Interesting, I thought the R3 settlement was all “undisclosed”.

Do we know what price they paid?

I imagine a 5B order on the exchange would have caused a few waves! :lol:

From memory ( often faulty) I think it was 14c

4 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

From memory ( often faulty) I think it was 14c

Now I’m confused...?

That was some 50% of market price at time of settlement of the law suit.

Original agreement was sub 1c I understand, but I don’t know how that related to market price at the time then.

Either way, R3 is a special case. The XRP “sale” was a compromise between the original agreed option price, and what a court settlement may have compelled them to do.