Pablo

The next strategic direction for Ripple...channel partners?

@Pablo @King34Maine

Good point and well written! Considering the amount of change DLT brings and the fact that it touches the very core of the FI's business processes, you're right that it implies a lot of work and Ripple as well as their customers could use help from parties that are familiar with the industry.

A Ripple product implementation probably isn't just the installation of some software ... apart from ICT and business process redesign consult, training, pre and after sales, their customers would also need to consider impact on reconciliation, auditing, legal issues and many other things ...

Ripple could work on some implementation white books together with channel partners ...

So yes, I'd say it sounds like a good idea ... big ICT firms as well as accounting/consulting firms would be suited for the job ... 

Edited by Rey

I think if Ripple (and R3) will grow very large corporations in future then at some point their business model will change from DIY everything to software licensing & training. Good example for this would SAP company today that basically sells licenses to their software and they also organize very expensive trainings for consultant houses (Accenture, IBM, etc). Consultant houses (or channel partners) basically do everything else (install software, blue papers, Proof-of-Concepts, configurations, testing, debugging, programming, end user training, etc.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAP_ERP

The only consultant house that I know at the moment which can assist with Ripple software is Synechron.

https://www.synechron.com/finlabs/global-payments

Incredible and well-written points. @hallwaymonitor mentioned SAP, which feels like an accurate comparison to me since they touch so many parts of an org’s operating system.

Based on some of the POC’s and integration rumors (Temenos, SAP, TAS, Earthport, eventually GPI?) it looks to me like Ripple is trying to sidestep the heavy-lifting of doing that systems integration, legal/regulatory, end-user training by handing it off to connectivity partners to bear the risk.

Basically, I wouldn’t be surprised if those connectivity partners were the ones selecting and training the channel partners, since we can assume they have their own robust integration resources and recommended agencies. Ripple trains them, they train their partners, their partners do the work. Ripple obviously would be providing expert guidance and staying represented in those efforts but I doubt they’d be executing the work.

I think the days of Ripple working directly with individual FI’s are over except in the case of tier one customers. But I might be totally off base!

3 hours ago, aavkk said:

I was discussing this recently with @Hodor in that I noticed between R3 and Ripple each of the big consulting firms is represented as partners.  It seems logical to me that Ripple would empower them to grow the network exponentially fast.  I'll bet this is already in the works.  To date Ripple has been working with new clients 1 on 1 as a start-up and learning what works and doesn't.  Going from 0-200 customers takes a while and involves a lot of learning and tweaking of the products and services.  But going from 200-1000 customers could take <18 months!  Even though it was featured in the Ripple Drop episode about hiring integration engineers I'm betting you are correct @Pablo that Ripple plans to leaning on channel partners such as Accenture, Deloitte, HP, E&Y, BearingPoint, Capgemini and others at an increasing pace from here on out. 

I sure think you are all on the right track, I looked into each of these; sharing what I found...

Accenture

https://www.accenture.com/us-en/service-blockchain-financial-services

"Accenture strives to be at the forefront of blockchain innovation and its practical, real world application.

We provide our clients with a complete view of the blockchain-based technology landscape and its potential business implications. Our global team of experts works with each client to help build smart strategies around effective use-cases, investment and implementation.

Blockchain has the potential to drive profound, positive change. We are working closely with leaders from across a broad range of industries, governments, consortia, the academic community and our key technology alliances to move technology forward so that, ultimately, it can help to improve the way the world lives and works."

Deloitte

https://www2.deloitte.com/lu/en/pages/technology/articles/deloitte-integration-ripple-technology-temenos-t24.html 

About Deloitte

“Deloitte” is the brand under which tens of thousands of dedicated professionals in independent firms throughout the world collaborate to provide audit, consulting, financial advisory, risk management, and tax services to selected clients. These firms are members of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited (DTTL), a UK private company limited by guarantee. Each member firm provides services in a particular geographic area and is subject to the laws and professional regulations of the particular country or countries in which it operates. DTTL does not itself provide services to clients. DTTL and each DTTL member firm are separate and distinct legal entities, which cannot obligate each other. DTTL and each DTTL member firm are liable only for their own acts or omissions and not those of each other. Each DTTL member firm is structured differently in accordance with national laws, regulations, customary practice, and other factors, and may secure the provision of professional services in its territory through subsidiaries, affiliates, and/or other entities."

EY

https://www.ey.com/gl/en/services/specialty-services/ripples-projects 

Helping impact entrepreneurs change lives

"We believe a better working world is one where everyone can contribute to and share in the benefits of sustainable economic growth.

With billions of people still excluded from the decent work, opportunities, goods and services that most of us take for granted, that world may feel a long way from reality. That’s why we’re proud to support impact investors and entrepreneurs making it their business to tackle the causes and symptoms of this inequality.

Their businesses are already changing millions of lives by:

Innovating better answers to some of society’s toughest challenges

Driving sustainable inclusive growth in their communities

Accelerating progress toward the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)

Through Ripples Projects, we’re helping them change millions more by helping improve their resilience, productivity and capacity for sustainable growth."

Bearing Point

https://www.bearingpoint.com/en-us/our-success/thought-leadership/can-the-financial-services-industry-master-blockchain/ 

"If there is one idea guaranteed to generate a buzz of excitement in financial circles at present it is the complex but intoxicatingly cutting-edge technology known as ‘blockchain’.

Few in financial markets claim to fully understand how blockchains work, but that has not prevented an explosion of interest over recent months, leading to talk of a once-in-a-generation shift that could be a game changer for global financial markets.

According to some usually sober voices, the forthcoming blockchain revolution is likely over the coming decade to mirror the impact of the internet in the previous one, transforming business models, connecting new counterparties and generating sweeping efficiencies that might reverse the fortunes of the post-crisis financial sector.

‘Any conversation in financial circles nowadays is likely to move very quickly onto the subject of  blockchains,’ says Dr Philip Godsiff, Senior Research Fellow at the Surrey Centre for the Digital Economy at Surrey Business School. ‘We may be moving away from an internet of entertainment, shopping and advertising to a new era in which the technology is actually doing serious business’ (see interview below)."

Capgemini

https://ripple.com/insights/capgemini-blockchain-tech-can-transform-global-financial-network/ 

Capgemini: Blockchain Tech Can Transform Global Financial Network

"Capgemini has published its incredibly comprehensive World Payments Report 2015 https://worldpaymentsreport.com/, which does a good job of highlighting many of the themes we’ve seen popping up all year. 

Payments volume continues to grow at a healthy clip, boosted by non-cash transactions and the rise of emerging markets. For instance, China, which is expected to move into fourth place globally in payment volume, overtaking South Korea and the UK, saw non-cash transactions expand 37.7% with mobile payments increasing 170% in 2014.

Then there’s the growing popularity of alternative, non-bank payment channels, what Capgemini calls hidden payments—since those transaction volumes aren’t easily tracked, which includes but is not limited to closed loop cards, mobile apps and digital wallets like Paypal and Alipay. These hidden transactions could equal 10% of total non-cash payments volume. One way to interpret the situation with hidden payments is that people aren’t getting what they need from the traditional system."

Edited by GiddyUp
bold

Channels were part of Ripple’s business model already; especially targeting potential kingpin partners already using their own channels. R3 debacle, encumbering regulations & the bear market have yet to wax wind in their sails. 

46 minutes ago, Pablo said:

And while I hate it as much as anyone, we might need to accept the rampant Twitter rage from maximalists and influencers for some time to come. But it’s irrelevant and so are they. Let’s face it, they don’t have much hope. The “store of value” pivot is like a badly formed comb-over these days. As for the Lightning Network, it’s nothing more than spray-on hair.

As much as we want it, I really doubt that Bitcoin is going to go away easily. Most of the new plays coming out from wall street and other big FI's have Bitcoin as the main crypto. I dont think FI's care much about superior tech as long they can profit from selling it. Even the SEC have indicated it from regulatory point of view. 

9 hours ago, Pablo said:

The “store of value” pivot is like a badly formed comb-over these days.

Yeah, noticed that, eh?  The "definitional dexterity" there is pretty funny...  Not too many people I know who buy a "store of value" which causes them to stay up late at night wondering "Is this thing going to be $0 when I wake up?"...  That... kinda defeats the purpose of a "store of value"... but, hey, what do I know?  Maybe that's just my 'opinion'.

:rolleyes:

(*waits for someone with ZERO sense of irony and/or humor to show up and lecture me, complete with copious links to wikipedia articles on cognitive biases*)

Edited by NightJanitor