New Video Explaining Xrp as a Scam

I stopped watching just after one guy said "I don't know Ripple so I Googled it during the day and now I can explain everything in 90 min. although I still don't really understand what Ripple is...but I've learned that some guy named Jed was there once and I don't trust him...so Ripple is a scam"

Edited by Malloy
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll take these on: "There is no code or automated process that handles forks if consensus is not reached, and the network does have to split. If there is a fork, the losing side has to discard t

Google is a scam because their search engine is not necessary for the Internet to work. Well, umm, yeah. Google works to build, preserve, protect and promote the Internet, even though the Inter

I'm not going to address all the points exhaustively, one by one, but let me respond to a couple of them really quickly. This is a flat out lie. Our version-setting commits (in other ways, the

1 minute ago, Malloy said:

I stopped watching just after one guy said "I don't know Ripple so I Googled it during the day and now I can explain everything in 90 min. although I still don't really understant what Ripple is...but I've learned that some guy named Jed was there once and I don,t trust him...so Ripple is a scam"

Exactly.  This is why many of us laughed at them and moved on.  It wasn't even worth listening to their points, to comment on them.  The entire video was discredited completely in the first 2 min.  

5 hours ago, RafOlP said:

After reading this and the news about the Japan guy, it looks like the scum of the bitcoin community is trying to fight XRP after laughing at it. It reminds me of a commonly used phrase...

This was also the first thing that came to my mind.

Think it was Ghandi?

3 hours ago, Haydentiff said:

He gave a scenario where there are nodes on one side of the country and nodes on the other. If a cable breaks, then each side doesn't have the same information and a clique can become disjointed.

Isn't this the whole point of TCP/IP, what the whole internet is based on?

Traffic doesn't have go down one route it has multiple pathways.  Even if it somehow managed to happen that every land/sea cable around and between nodes were to break there would still be satellite connections if necessary.

Guest Haydentiff
57 minutes ago, rippleric said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a country is disconnected from the other half then everyone has bigger problems to worry about than the ripple ledger forking :) Or if the USA is disconnected from the rest of the world, or another country is, then there are bigger problems to worry about, but it would seem that said country could resync to the rest of the world when back online :blink:

Didn't the east coast lose internet connection recently?

3 minutes ago, Haydentiff said:

Didn't the east coast lose internet connection recently?

Not sure, but if I'm a financial institution or government or corporate entity I have a fairly robust disaster recovery plan, meaning i don't locate all my servers locally in one place so I can keep my business or validator 100% uptime. If I'm a global company I have servers in different parts of the world, redundant servers / validators. 

Guest Haydentiff
Just now, rippleric said:

Not sure, but if I'm a financial institution or government or corporate entity I have a fairly robust disaster recovery plan, meaning i don't locate all my servers locally in one place so I can keep my business or validator 100% uptime. If I'm a global company I have servers in different parts of the world, redundant servers / validators. 

Right. You have validators all over. But there could be a clique on the west coast that comes to a different consensus than that on the east because the west coast has more information.

1 minute ago, Haydentiff said:

If Peter's paper and his criticisms of Ripple are so laughable, why aren't we able to easily correct his errors?

It seems only employees on this forum think it's worth the time to prove him wrong. Todd talks about extreme cases of outage and problems, i don't think he looks at it realistically from the point of view that ripple is or has already addressed those concerns. Not saying they're not valid points, or it can never happen, but there is risk with all systems, ledgers, blockchains, you just have to manage it accordingly.  

Just now, Haydentiff said:

Right. You have validators all over. But there could be a clique on the west coast that comes to a different consensus than that on the east because the west coast has more information.

if you set your UNL up correctly, or randomly as @nikb has stated your chances of forking because of a clique or collusion are extremely low, you're talking about global outage to take down ripple or make it fork at that point no?

Guest Haydentiff
1 minute ago, rippleric said:

if you set your UNL up correctly, or randomly as @nikb has stated your chances of forking because of a clique or collusion are extremely low, you're talking about global outage to take down ripple or make it fork at that point no?

No, I'm talking about the east coast losing internet connectivity.

6 minutes ago, Haydentiff said:

No, I'm talking about the east coast losing internet connectivity.

Maybe @nikb can provide a better answer, but my understanding is that when the east coast comes back online they assess the situation with regards to local, regional, global connectivity and the current state of validator consensus agreement / history and go with the most recent and accepted ledger, just like right now if nikb shuts down his validator and turns it back on he knows he can trust whatever validators are in his UNL and have been running and have not shut down on the west coast or wherever have the most recent and agreed upon ledger. I'm guessing as soon as the east coast went down maybe some transactions failed, so they'd have to reconcile, fix any payment errors, and resubmit once back online with the west coast and the rest of the world.

Edited by rippleric
Guest Haydentiff
Just now, rippleric said:

Maybe @nikb can provide a better answer, but my understanding is that when the east coast comes back online they assess the situation with regards to local, regional, global connectivity and the validator consensus agreement / history and go with the most recent and accepted ledger, just like right now if nikb shuts down his validator and turns it back on he knows he can trust whatever validators are in his UNL and have been running and have not shut down on the west coast or wherever have the most recent and agreed upon ledger. I'm guessing as soon as the east coast went down maybe some transactions failed, so they'd have to reconcile, fix any payment errors, and resubmit once back online with the west coast and the rest of the world.

The validators on the east coast still ran, they just did it with less information than the west coast had.

5 minutes ago, Haydentiff said:

The validators on the east coast still ran, they just did it with less information than the west coast had.

So then if they are not connected to the internet or not in sync with other validators then their agreement : disagreement ratio would be off 0 : 100 and they know they have connectivity problems and need to reconcile before making any payments or trades, you have someone monitoring that or have an alert, some type of failsafe to tell you when your validator is not performing as it should. 

I'm trying to see a scenario where the east coast is running offline with validators still running, to me that would mean all of wall street and everyone loses connectivity therefore you already know your shut off from the rest of the world, you don't do anything until your back online with the rest of the world...

Edited by rippleric
Guest Haydentiff
5 minutes ago, rippleric said:

So then if they are not connected to the internet or not in sync with other validators then their agreement : disagreement ratio would be off 0 : 100 and they know they have connectivity problems and need to reconcile before making any payments or trades, you have someone monitoring that or have an alert, some type of failsafe to tell you when your validator is not performing as it should. 

The answer, I think, is that if a cable broke the drop off would be such that the clique couldn't reach consensus so they'd not advance to the next ledger.