Sign in to follow this  
kryptoroi

Exclusive: MoneyGram exploring options, including potential sale

35 minutes ago, RikkiTikki said:

It's time for Ripple to put it's business hats on something amazing can come out of this if the game is played right.  Obviously MoneyGram is in need of a cash infusion to pay down debts and remain well (MoneyGram) The old way of business isn't cutting.  In comes Ripple to save the day not to buy MoneyGram no but offer them a cash incentive to utilize Xrapid. More like an alignment as opposed to a buying MoneyGram they are already partners but maybe Ripple does not care if MG sinks who knows.

Except that XRP doesn't have anywhere close to the required liquidity to even allow MoneyGram to switch over to it. And that's on top of the challenges required in rebuilding your business model from the ground up. This would be nothing short of a boondoggle, and I guarantee you Ripple knows they want no part in this. 

9 minutes ago, doopers said:

Except that XRP doesn't have anywhere close to the required liquidity to even allow MoneyGram to switch over to it. And that's on top of the challenges required in rebuilding your business model from the ground up. This would be nothing short of a boondoggle, and I guarantee you Ripple knows they want no part in this. 

Correct nobody is expecting this to be just a plug, play and go scenario it would be a crawl, walk, run scenario and who knows at this point how far they have really got with their current partnership I'm just stating a possibility without being over analytical who knows which way this will go in regards to Ripple it's not far fetched for partner companies to help each others out in time of distress with some mutual agreement that would benefit them both moving forward. With that said Ripple is in a better position then anyone to lend a hand to MG will that transpire "Your guess is as good as mine."  Maybe they will both form a totally new company who know.

Edited by RikkiTikki

2 hours ago, doopers said:

Everyone keeps talking about the "non-existing" or "insufficient" liquidity.  What's so wrong with MG on-boarding Ripple and only using xrp for a few of their transactions? Everyone keeps thinking they would have to use XRP in all their transactions.

1 hour ago, kryptoroi said:

Everyone keeps talking about the "non-existing" or "insufficient" liquidity.  What's so wrong with MG on-boarding Ripple and only using xrp for a few of their transactions? Everyone keeps thinking they would have to use XRP in all their transactions.

Exactly!!! It's not like they can't start with a corridor they serve where there is liquidity and go from there people talk like it's Xrapid all over or nothing.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:30 AM, XRP-Observer said:

I don't think Ripple will buy Moneygram. They could have started a remittance company a long time ago without the burden of legacy systems that Moneygram has. I think Ripple stay focused on providing payment solutions to financial institutions, they don't want to have their own payment company. Should they buy Moneygram or run another similar company, I think others would always suspect that the Ripple's company gets some kind of preferential treatment. Ripple would no longer be seen as a neutral supplier, which would hurt their business. Just my opinion.

Moneygram problems are telling me that old ways of running remittances are really not sustainable, which is good news for Ripple, even if Moneygram is their client.

Totally agree! I think it's less about the burden of legacy systems, and more about Ripple wanting to steer away from seeming like a competitor to the business they're trying to work with.

It would be a shame if lack of regulation prevented MoneyGram from taking full advantage of XRP due to concern over money laundering and financing terrorist groups. Maybe this can be held up as an example of how lack of regulation and slow movement is putting the U.S. in a bad position globally with regards to digital assets.

On 1/29/2019 at 2:30 PM, XRP-Observer said:

Moneygram problems are telling me that old ways of running remittances are really not sustainable, which is good news for Ripple, even if Moneygram is their client.

It all depends what direction one wanna go. One of the most important services for remittance in developing markets is the last mile. And I guess MG still has a strong position here. Imagine all those available last miles to become connected to for instance all the Mojaloop based mobile money services that are emerging all over Africa... The last mile always is the most critical one. I've friends in Africa and while I've no problems getting bitstamp/gatehub.EUR or XRP over there, the problem still is: how do my African friends get them retracted in local currency? That's a huge market opportunity and MG IS operating on that market..... Not saying Ripple should buy them (tbh that's not their core business), but I'm sure that, with cleverly building around xRapid (or @BobWay 's new "tool"?) MG might become revamped to a premium, fast & cheap service with the "last mile service" to avoid (expensive) "branches" but dropping straight into mobile money accounts....