Still1

Is XRP approaching the "knee of an exponential curve"?

24 minutes ago, lucky said:

I’ll take that as a confirmation that after spending years in this forum, you still do not see the advantage of being able to send money as easy as data?

That's not what I said. I'm saying that using XRP as money is a bad use case for XRP. Also if data transfers had 4 seconds lag and would only work if globally confirmed, then you'd also see the difficulty with that "as easy as" statement...

24 minutes ago, lucky said:

Or you don’t see why only cryptographic digital assets have this potential?

There's not much "cryptographic" about digital assets, but that's nitpicking. I disagree that only digital assets have this potential (depending on your definition of asset). I think XRPL shows quite clearly that digital assets AND liabilities can go head-to-head in this space, since transferring 1 BTC/Bitstamp takes as long as transferring 12k XRP.

3 hours ago, Sukrim said:

Still the economics around them make them extremely unattractive to me.

Can you give me ONE reason for Bitcoin to be MORE attractive to hold as a value (aside hype or speculation)?

4 minutes ago, kanaas said:

Can you give me ONE reason for Bitcoin to be MORE attractive to hold as a value (aside hype or speculation)?

BTC is the Bridge Asset between fiat and digital assets in the current crypto market's environment.

Once it loses that spot as the main inter-ledger token, IMHO it will have no value.

Edited by KarmaCoverage

5 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

That's not what I said. I'm saying that using XRP as money is a bad use case for XRP. Also if data transfers had 4 seconds lag and would only work if globally confirmed, then you'd also see the difficulty with that "as easy as" statement...

There's not much "cryptographic" about digital assets, but that's nitpicking. I disagree that only digital assets have this potential (depending on your definition of asset). I think XRPL shows quite clearly that digital assets AND liabilities can go head-to-head in this space, since transferring 1 BTC/Bitstamp takes as long as transferring 12k XRP.

It is the combination of Interledger and the public XRPLedger as a global Xcurrency rail that will make value move as easy and as fast as data.

1 minute ago, KarmaCoverage said:

BTC is the Bridge Asset between fiat and digital assets in the current crypto market's environment.

Once it loses that spot as the main inter-ledger token, IMHO it will have no value.

Don't you think it WILL lose that spot being this expensive and slow to move "on ledger"?

13 minutes ago, kanaas said:

Don't you think it WILL lose that spot being this expensive and slow to move "on ledger"?

Oh yeah, to me it seems quite obvious that XRP is better/faster/cheaper/in production and awaiting regulatory approval.

ETH has already chipped away at BTC as, literally the only way to get into crypto. Many people buy XRP and others straight from fiat now.

So I actually already see BTC slipping. It is more popular though, and as these institutional companies open the market up to more dumb money... I still think BTC could hit another all time high.

Being a simple unit of account, I just dont see BTC as being worth much after the markets mature and it loses center stage. XRPLedger is so much more powerful of an accounting tool, you really cant compare the two.

Full disclosure,  I never have and never will own BTC. If it hits another ATH, I plan to short it, or buy puts if I can find some.

Edited by KarmaCoverage

45 minutes ago, kanaas said:

41 minutes ago, KarmaCoverage said:

39 minutes ago, kanaas said:

Maybe I'll do a lousy job, but let's try to be a devil's advocate:

- First movers advantage;

- BTC already has a certain value, being expensive might be a pro instead of a con;

- Same goes for its lack of speed, a store of value might need a certain balance of (il)liquidity;

- Many whales already have a position and there's already a lot of money invested in the market infrastructure (these things might be a bit less agile than we'd want). 

53 minutes ago, kanaas said:

Far more users, developers and companies building on top of it. I'm not that big of a fan of Bitcoin either though.

51 minutes ago, kanaas said:

It is the combination of Interledger and the public XRPLedger as a global Xcurrency rail that will make value move as easy and as fast as data.

If you want to use another layer on top, then you need to compare XRP with BTC on lightning or similar payment/state channel solutions. I guess I'll believe it when I see it. Is there something like https://codiushosts.com/contracts for Interledger?

7 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

Far more users, developers and companies building on top of it. I'm not that big of a fan of Bitcoin either though.

I don’t believe this for a minute. They just make more noise.

Edited by lucky

1 hour ago, KarmaCoverage said:

Maybe it can function as a hedge against XRP or other digital assets, admittedly other DA's could also get this function. I mean, right now we all complain about price manipulation, but as XRP gains more traction and becomes more important,  price stabilization instruments might be needed ...  

13 minutes ago, Rey said:

price stabilization instruments might be needed

Those are called derivatives, and they are being developed. The loans you see Uphold and other exchanges offering, are a type of derivative also. 

Here are some SWAPs, but what I'm waiting for is a full spectrum of strike prices on Options. https://www.cryptofacilities.com/resources/hc/en-us/articles/115002795913-Contract-specifications

These "perpetual swaps" are pretty cool, they settle every 4 hours continuously. https://www.cryptofacilities.com/resources/hc/en-us/articles/360008643453-Perpetual-Futures-Contract-Specifications

Edited by KarmaCoverage

8 hours ago, Sukrim said:

There's not much "cryptographic" about digital assets, but that's nitpicking. I disagree that only digital assets have this potential (depending on your definition of asset). 

What other digital asset than a cryptographic asset can you send from China to a wallet of someone in Brazil, over the Internet?

Digital asset of course in the sense that the asset has guaranteed just one owner (safe from double spending), and with 100% certainty that the value has actually been transferred, so not depending on a third party to fulfill its obligations.

9 hours ago, Sukrim said:

There's not much "cryptographic" about digital assets

How much cryptography do you think it needs before it can be considered a cryptographic asset?

They have cryptographic keys that are required to sign and then be cryptographically verified before a transaction can proceed.  

The wallets are cryptographically secured.

The nodes validating the network use keys and cryptography to verify that the entities and messages they send and receive as part of building the blockchain are crytopgraphically conclusively proven as valid.  

EDIT:   There are billions stored as tokens that are freely available to you and the rest of the world if you can crack their cryptography...   and yet they sit secure and have done for many years   

But you think there is not much cryptographic about it?

Edited by Tinyaccount