Still1

Is XRP approaching the "knee of an exponential curve"?

5 hours ago, BrownBear said:

Notice the pattern?

image.jpg

1- is this chart from 2011? the "E" appended to each year makes me assume "Estimated"

2- i realize this may not be the point that you intended, but this chart shows that internet devices have iterated and left the originating tech in the dust.  PC = gen1 crypto, Smartphones=gen2, tablets=gen3 - to me this seems to prove that our current digital asset state will soon be outdated.  (Smartphones taking over PCs)

9 hours ago, Tinyaccount said:

There are always some assumptions in your negative views:

I’ve highlighted one here for your convenience.  You assume things will always stay in this low volume condition,  and therefore supply will always be abundant.  Like many of your other ones....    it is not as much a given as you seem to think it is....

I never said forever, talking about today and the near future.

1 Billion XRP to be dumped every month for the next few years seems like an overly abundant supply, especially when you consider that XRP prices are not tethered to any commodity or Govt fiat. (Inflation and deflation are unchecked)

Let’s see how old you are when the easy supply of XRP runs out, and there is finally pressure for banks (mm) to buy their XRP from us😂 Hodlr’s

Heck, as a group, I believe we hold almost .02% (yes less than 1%) of the total supply. Shouldn’t be long till RL runs out, and they need our coins.

Truth is, only another pump and dump will save you, because there is no logical model for XRP utility. Banks and FIs cannot simply say XRP is now worth $x.xx while at the same time you cannot even buy a cup of coffee, in any country using 100 of them. Value means value, it cannot be a valuable container for banks, and then say, it is also worthless, for the world’s population, at the grocery store. (Unless you want XRP tosimply be a banker’s coin) 

Banks only vault items that have value on their own streets. As valuable as a signature is to a banker, they have no need to lock up their pens each night. The pens themselves are virtually worthless because the supply is abundant.

I cannot think of a real world model, where the container is worth more than the cargo.

On 1/28/2019 at 10:09 AM, Valhalla_Guy said:

...there is no logical model for XRP utility....

I cannot think of a real world model, where the container is worth more than the cargo.

1. Paying TX fees was the original utility value for XRP within the XRPLedger network. I think of this like Postal Stamps, which have the utility of being able to cover the transaction fee in the Postal Network. So the in essence people holding XRP are just collecting digital postage stamps that only work on XRPLedger.

2. The utility value that came after the strategy became, "XRP as a bridge currency"... is a temporary store of value. For the duration of the transaction, the XRP becomes the cargo in the container, the cargo is the value which is being moved through the network, and it has taken the form of XRP. 

This is not the lofty "store of value" that is BTC, because BTC will store your value safely forever and ever and ever and ever. While XRP will only store your value while in transit.

In short XRP is both the letter in the envelop, and the stamp on the on the envelop. An XRP transaction is like mailing a bunch of stamps. (you can also put an IOU in the envelop)

Edited by KarmaCoverage

It’s called a hockey stick prediction, intended to induce a response, driven purely by emotion. Mr.  Al Gore’s hockey stick, global temperature climate prediction is a good example. It was intended to drive people to give up their own money, through fear of death, and or compassion for the planet. Some folks get stuck on the visualizations, followed by  irrational decisions.
See no reason, other than hype, that a true asset, which also has an over abundant supply; would ever experience an exponential curve growth, based on utility alone. 
What? You a coal-roller?

You could be onto something, yes!  After last December, I'll never doubt it again.  And now the players are bigger and the stakes broader...
300 FIs on xrapid brings on the network effect. This is more or less what BG said. No, not referring to the retarded ridler.

2 hours ago, KarmaCoverage said:

1. Paying TX fees was the original utility value for XRP within the XRPLedger network. I think of this like Postal Stamps, which have the utility of being able to cover the transaction fee in the Postal Network. So the in essence people holding XRP are just collecting digital postage stamps that only work on XRPLedger.

2. The utility value that came after the strategy became, "XRP as a bridge currency"... is a temporary store of value. For the duration of the transaction, the XRP becomes the cargo in the container, the cargo is the value which is being moved through the network, and it has taken the form of XRP. 

This is not the lofty "store of value" that is BTC, because BTC will store your value safely forever and ever and ever and ever. While XRP will only store your value while in transit.

In short XRP is both the letter in the envelop, and the stamp on the on the envelop. An XRP transaction is like mailing a bunch of stamps. (you can also put and IOUs in the envelop)

The medium is the message - Marshall McLuhan

9 hours ago, aye-epp said:

1- is this chart from 2011? the "E" appended to each year makes me assume "Estimated"

2- i realize this may not be the point that you intended, but this chart shows that internet devices have iterated and left the originating tech in the dust.  PC = gen1 crypto, Smartphones=gen2, tablets=gen3 - to me this seems to prove that our current digital asset state will soon be outdated.  (Smartphones taking over PCs)

It was from 2012 (as you cannot collect 2011 data if the year hasn't finished yet.) But the entire point was tongue-in-cheek - smartphone adoption is directly correlated with the ease in which **** was viewable and not because of 'a technology sold through a well-established distribution system.' This is the joke.

I know correlation does not imply causation - But I thought I was being funny.

7 hours ago, KarmaCoverage said:

1. Paying TX fees was the original utility value for XRP within the XRPLedger network. 

Hmmm.   Are you sure that is correct?

That is not my understanding.  I believe the original intent was broadly the same as now.  

Um,  I must disagree wholeheartedly with nearly every idea behind this statement.  

There is nothing ‘lofty’ about a store of value.  

BTC will not store your value eternally.  So many things wrong I don’t know where to start.  

And XRP WILL store your value longer than ‘only while in transit’.  In fact after the transit it still has the value it transmitted with.  Just a different owner.  

I’m not trying to start a conversation because I don’t have the time or desire right now...  but I couldn’t leave your statement unchallenged.  I was hoping someone else would do it.  

8 hours ago, Valhalla_Guy said:

Take a Boeing 747 cargo jet and fill it with watermelons.

In short XRP is both the letter in the envelop, and the stamp on the on the envelop. An XRP transaction is like mailing a bunch of stamps. (you can also put and IOUs in the envelop)

These two statements contradict each other.

1 hour ago, Tinyaccount said:

Um,  I must disagree wholeheartedly with nearly every idea behind this statement.  

There is nothing ‘lofty’ about a store of value.  

BTC will not store your value eternally.  So many things wrong I don’t know where to start.  

And XRP WILL store your value longer than ‘only while in transit’.  In fact after the transit it still has the value it transmitted with.  Just a different owner.  

I’m not trying to start a conversation because I don’t have the time or desire right now...  but I couldn’t leave your statement unchallenged.  I was hoping someone else would do it.  

Yeah I was being a bit over the top and sarcastic about BTC as a "store of value". 

Within the context of the purpose of RippleNet and ILP and the IoV... The utility of XRP is to embody the value while in transit, across networks and jurisdictions.

That does not mean that you can't hold XRP for longer than "while in transit", just that the value being denominated is useful and has utility while the value is in transit through the network that is being built.

1 hour ago, Tinyaccount said:

Hmmm.   Are you sure that is correct?

That is not my understanding.  I believe the original intent was broadly the same as now.  

Yes, the original purpose of XRP was to add a transaction cost for "anti-spam" reasons. 

Just now, KarmaCoverage said:

Yes, the original purpose of XRP was to add a transaction cost for "anti-spam" reasons. 

I must admit I still feel sceptical.  I’m wondering if you might have misunderstood something there.  

Of course,  I could be the one not understanding.  

Were you around then?  How do you know this.  (Not asking to be argumentative...   just wanting to be convinced one way or the other)

@lucky @Sukrim sorry to bother you....    do you know if the original purpose of XRP was as a fee payer anti spam only as KarmaCoverage suggests?

It seems unlikely since the fees go to no-one and the supply is huge compared to any fee requirements.  

Actually in saying that...   I’m now more certain than previously that KC is wrong...