Sign in to follow this  
Jtadaly

Earthport, VIsa, MC and Ripple

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/mastercard-trumps-visa-with-233m-offer-for-earthport-37747891.html

MC has out-bid Visa's already generous offer for Earthport.  

Forgive me if this theory has been debunked (real life work taking precedence lately) but if Bank of America does indeed have an exclusivity agreement with Ripple, then the acquisition of Earthport takes on an all new meaning.  Payments is BIG business.  Current tech is making it easier and faster and if you already have a large payments business like MC and Visa, then adding to it makes sense.  However, if you can cut costs by 80% or more with Ripplenet, then buying a payments platform to add to your own is a must-have.  

If there is an exclusivity deal with BoA, a Ripple contract that pre-dates it is extremely valuable.  That might be why Visa and MC are duking it out over Earthport. 

Edit:  I forgot to also say that if Earthport has a contract (whether they have integrated Ripplenet or not) that pre-dates the BoA contract... it might be worth more than Earthport on it's own. 

\

JD

Edited by Jtadaly
forgot item

29 minutes ago, KarmaCoverage said:

I suspect that Earthport is a "Supernode" in the RippleNet network and that they are competing to buy a position in the network with the "highest eigenvector centrality".

This is strategic positioning.

1944420068_Nodecharacteristics.png.164beda6d9732f8238029984fb1ba8a0.png

Yeah, that is a logical assumption.

I know that people were wanting a better deal than the first cash offer too.

Please don't hate me for this...

But as someone who's been in the business world for quite some time, the bidding war over Earthport likely has very little to do with Ripple.  There are countless other strategic opportunities that Earthport could offer Visa & MC that have nothing to do with Ripple, XRP or crypto in general. 

Sorry to rain on the parade. I know we are all looking for a light in dark times, but just because a business is a Ripple partner doesn't make every news bit about them Ripple-centric. 

46 minutes ago, Kal316 said:

Please don't hate me for this...

But as someone who's been in the business world for quite some time, the bidding war over Earthport likely has very little to do with Ripple.  There are countless other strategic opportunities that Earthport could offer Visa & MC that have nothing to do with Ripple, XRP or crypto in general.

Pls elaborate: what other opportunities?

32 minutes ago, Live4xrp said:

Pls elaborate: what other opportunities?

Their relationship with Bank of America, obviously. Mastercard and Visa are eager to have a working relationship with Bank of America. The only way to do it is to buy a third party. It's the only way.

Earthport customers:

Ripple
Hyperwallet
Payoneer
BoA
Transferwise
Worldremit
Japan Post Bank
Xoom

If memory serves, all of these companies are working with Ripple. Except Ripple. Ripple is Ripple so they can't work with Ripple.

13 minutes ago, ADingoAteMyXRP said:

If memory serves, all of these companies are working with Ripple. Except Ripple. Ripple is Ripple so they can't work with Ripple.

Mind. Blown. :blink:

:biggrin:

I think you guys are falling into the A is associated with B and B is associated with C there A is associated with C trap.

I don't think this has to do much with Ripple:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-25/mastercard-outbids-visa-for-tiny-firm-in-30-trillion-industry

"Under former Chief Executive Officer Hank Uberoi, Earthport built a network of dozens of banks in more than 65 countries over years of shoe-leather dealmaking. Bank of America Corp., Japan Post Bank Co., and BNP Paribas SA are clients, as well as fast-growing fintech players such as TransferWise Ltd. Last May, Earthport announced the appointment of Amanda Mesler as CEO and Uberoi stepped down as executive chairman.

"Earthport isn’t known for the quality of its tech, but a lot of players have discussed buying the company for its network over the years," said Brad van Leeuwen, the head of partnerships at Railsbank Ltd., a London-based fintech firm."

Its not buying them for Ripple technology or supernode or whatever, its buying them for the banking network they've built up over 20 years they've been around.

5 minutes ago, Archbob said:

I think you guys are falling into the A is associated with B and B is associated with C there A is associated with C trap.

I don't think this has to do much with Ripple:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-25/mastercard-outbids-visa-for-tiny-firm-in-30-trillion-industry

"Under former Chief Executive Officer Hank Uberoi, Earthport built a network of dozens of banks in more than 65 countries over years of shoe-leather dealmaking. Bank of America Corp., Japan Post Bank Co., and BNP Paribas SA are clients, as well as fast-growing fintech players such as TransferWise Ltd. Last May, Earthport announced the appointment of Amanda Mesler as CEO and Uberoi stepped down as executive chairman.

"Earthport isn’t known for the quality of its tech, but a lot of players have discussed buying the company for its network over the years," said Brad van Leeuwen, the head of partnerships at Railsbank Ltd., a London-based fintech firm."

Its not buying them for Ripple technology or supernode or whatever, its buying them for the banking network they've built up over 20 years they've been around.

Agree...

...Ripple in the middle of 67 countries...Spider in the x-border web

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190125005164/en/Mastercard-Earthport-PLC-Announce-Terms-Recommended-Cash

With Mastercard's experience as a global network, its bank distribution, technology and reach, including Mastercard Send and Vocalink's faster payment capability, financial stability and brand, Mastercard UK Holdco believes Mastercard can complement and enhance Earthport’s existing capabilities and allow it to accelerate development of a more robust account-to-account cross-border network service

Yeah, both mastercard and visa have been testing and trialing many DLT B2B technologies for faster payments. You can't just assume that everything that says "Cross border payments" involves Ripple, especially if they don't really even mention Ripple. Many of the blockchains solution they are trying actually involve IBM if you've read the articles regarding VISA.

People often wonder why so much hype and rumors don't effect XRP price. Part of the reason is that many of those A is partnered with B and B is partnered with C so A is partnered with C assumption end up not being true.

And I thought we basically agreed that the Exclusivity contract with BoA didn't really make any sense. I mean Ripple is confirmed to have partnerships with over 100 banks.

Its a possibility that they may use Ripple to some capacity but its far from a given.

Edited by Archbob

I mentioned this in another thread. Both Visa and Mastercard are rolling out B2B DLT solutions.  The Earthport payment network is of course valuable with banking relationships and reach into many countries.  Real-time payments are obviously the future and similar to the reasons Earthport partnered with Ripple to offer DLT, Visa and MC are likely looking at offering their DLT and related products.  Whether, Ripple plays a role in the cross-border aspect is hard to say.  I like the chances better with MC.

43 minutes ago, Archbob said:

Its not buying them for Ripple technology

So let me get this straight...

Earthport’s technology is bad, no one bought them for 20 years, but after a year spent integrating their existing customers with RippleNet (all of their customers appear to be on RippleNet now) Visa and MasterCard are both trying to buy them for well over their market price.

But Ripple is not a factor? Are you sure you “work in business”?