Epic Pennant on BTC Chart

On Flare. It really is complicated and hard to understand. That's because it doesn't exist yet. It's an abstract white paper that's lacking in a lot of the details. We will find out more as we get closer to launch. It will have easy to use interfaces (at least for people used to crypto, it won't be easy for normies) that will cover up how the sausage is made.

Will it be an ETH killer? I don't know, but probably not. Ripple was designed to be a better Bitcoin, but has yet to live up to that promise. It is a better Bitcoin (faster, cheaper, multi-currency, etc.), but being technically better necessarily doesn't mean real world success. See the famous case of Betamax and VHS.

So I have high hopes for Flare, but I also realize that gaining real world adoption is a tough uphill battle.

Edited by brianwalden
  • Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well guys for those of you that got in late 2017, this is what the beginning of a Bull Market feels like.  There will be ups and downs of course, but it will get much crazier with much higher valuatio

Just taking the time to say a huge thank you to you @Eric123. I have been reading this thread daily for a long time now. I don't often sign in to post something so this thank you and acknowledgment of

I was a bit bored, so I decided to analyse the reactions in the first 404(!) pages of this thread. In those 404 pages, 3938 comments received a reaction, and in total there were 11515 reactions g

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, brianwalden said:

On Flare. It really is complicated and hard to understand. That's because it doesn't exist yet. It's an abstract white paper that's lacking in a lot of the details. We will find out more as we get closer to launch. It will have easy to use interfaces (at least for people used to crypto, it won't be easy for normies) that will cover up how the sausage is made.

Will it be an ETH killer? I don't know, but probably not. Ripple was designed to be a better Bitcoin, but has yet to love up to that promise. It is a better Bitcoin (faster, cheaper, multi-currency, etc.), but being technically better necessarily doesn't mean real world success. See the famous case of Betamax and VHS.

So I have high hopes for Flare, but I also realize that gaining real world adoption is a tough uphill battle.

Especially as society descends into anti-fundamental/hype/meme investing trends. Nothing burgers, to this point in the race, are still ahead. Long way to go though. 

49 minutes ago, Julian_Williams said:

Very interesting.  I think you would be surprised how many contributors to forums are closet introverts having their say.

I think you're describing most of crypto and most of the meme stocks and most of the other junk of late...  Veblen goods...

7 hours ago, brianwalden said:

Right this is what I mean. Under the hood it is as complicated as any crypto, but that is not just limited to Flare. 

7 hours ago, brianwalden said:

Will it be an ETH killer? I don't know, but probably not. Ripple was designed to be a better Bitcoin, but has yet to live up to that promise. It is a better Bitcoin (faster, cheaper, multi-currency, etc.), but being technically better necessarily doesn't mean real world success

This implies that BTC has had 'real world success' which I think is debatable. It has seen price appreciation, sure. But so have many other cryptos. Is BTC actually solving any real world problems? It did in the early days, because it allowed people to send money anonymously (Silk Road) but now that function has been taken over by better privacy coins. 'Store of Value' and 'Digital Gold' are just slogans.

Re: XRP, we could argue that every time ODL allowed someone to send a remittance more cheaply it was seeing 'real world success'. Again, as I've pointed out elsewhere, the fact that Gala Games will save thousands of dollars a week on minting their NFTs using Flare is another example of 'real world success'. 

Never forget, behind all the slogans, big numbers, and jettisoning of 'libertarian principles', BTC doesn't even perform its primary function well.

Edited by Seoulite
3 hours ago, Seoulite said:

This implies that BTC has had 'real world success' which I think is debatable. It has seen price appreciation, sure. But so have many other cryptos. Is BTC actually solving any real world problems? It did in the early days, because it allowed people to send money anonymously (Silk Road) but now that function has been taken over by better privacy coins. 'Store of Value' and 'Digital Gold' are just slogans.

Yes it is a real world success, that enabled blockchain, exchanges, trustless p2p and other things if you try to keep your bias aside you will see that. 

Unfortunatelly Ripple and XRP enabled a lot of promisses that end up in court with SEC. So called "banker coin" ended up just slogan, and new way is: payments. Moreover so called ODL, that had seen so many transformations, is still a mythical beast with no actual data from Ripple. 

FLR is no escape here, if Ripple somehow invested in Flare Network, than obviois question what share and vote they have in Foundation? Meh, I went aside.

4 hours ago, xrp-nuke said:

Yes it is a real world success, that enabled blockchain, exchanges, trustless p2p and other things if you try to keep your bias aside you will see that. 

Unfortunatelly Ripple and XRP enabled a lot of promisses that end up in court with SEC. So called "banker coin" ended up just slogan, and new way is: payments. Moreover so called ODL, that had seen so many transformations, is still a mythical beast with no actual data from Ripple. 

FLR is no escape here, if Ripple somehow invested in Flare Network, than obviois question what share and vote they have in Foundation? Meh, I went aside.

It is your bias against his bias, against all of our biases. You truly think you are the only one who is not biased and the rest of the world is the idiot? There is a name for that.

Banker coin was a BTC maxi's name for XRP, not a slogan. Funny you think that was an intended name, must be the bias.

5 hours ago, xrp-nuke said:

Ps.

If it could do all the above, but does not have to consume the amount of energy of the country Denmark to do 6 transactions per second. Then who in his right mind would stick with it, unless that person has a lot of wealth to gain from it.

People who have nothing to gain from BTC can have a more objective view of it than people who hold it and want to profit from it. So stop telling other people are biased while you're holding BTC.

Having said that: Please go up again BTC, I need to make profits in alts!

39 minutes ago, Caracappa said:

It is your bias against his bias, against all of our biases. You truly think you are the only one who is not biased and the rest of the world is the idiot? There is a name for that.

Banker coin was a BTC maxi's name for XRP, not a slogan. Funny you think that was an intended name, must be the bias.

Hello adhominem boy! Welcome back! I see you still like to put words into people mouths, once I already educated you and show on how silly your groundless statements are, but you never learn.

I guess best way for yourself will be to block me with some astounding last message and silly gify!

30 minutes ago, Caracappa said:

If it could do all the above, but does not have to consume the amount of energy of the country Denmark to do 6 transactions per second. Then who in his right mind would stick with it, unless that person has a lot of wealth to gain from it.

You absolutely delusional and not following discussion, a random, disgusting, irrational, bot alike throwaway message.

32 minutes ago, Caracappa said:

Having said that: Please go up again BTC, I need to make profits in alts!

You beg BTC? Wow

5 minutes ago, xrp-nuke said:

Hello adhominem boy! Welcome back! I see you still like to put words into people mouths, once I already educated you and show on how silly your groundless statements are, but you never learn.

I guess best way for yourself will be to block me with some astounding last message and silly gify!

You absolutely delusional and not following discussion, a random, disgusting, irrational, bot alike throwaway message.

You beg BTC? Wow

Oh dear... Ofcourse I won't block you. You are way too much fun to do that. It's just that every single point that you accuse other people of are a mere reflection of yourself and your own actions.

How am I putting words in your mouth? You call people biased when they don't agree with your bias. Everybody is biased is the point I try to make. Someone holding BTC is more biased towards BTC than people not holding it because they want to profit from it. Pure logic right? 

I'll make it simple:

• If there was a way to do all the things BTC does but with a lot less power consumption, would you choose it:      Yes/No
  • If there was a way to do more than BTC can do, and with a lot less power consumption, would you choose it:      Yes/No

If 'No', then please tell me why not because I can not find the logic in it, which could very well be my failure.

27 minutes ago, Caracappa said:

How am I putting words in your mouth? You call people biased when they don't agree with your bias. Everybody is biased is the point I try to make. Someone holding BTC is more biased towards BTC than people not holding it because they want to profit from it. Pure logic right?

I will educate you one more time, XRP is 70% of my protfolio, and it never was lower and at some times even higher. So, what you were talking about bias and __logic__? 🥺

34 minutes ago, Caracappa said:

I'll make it simple:

• If there was a way to do all the things BTC does but with a lot less power consumption, would you choose it:      Yes/No
  • If there was a way to do more than BTC can do, and with a lot less power consumption, would you choose it:      Yes/No

If 'No', then please tell me why not because I can not find the logic in it, which could very well be my failure

What? Will be very kind on you and repeat myself one more time:

11 hours ago, Seoulite said:

This implies that BTC has had 'real world success' which I think is debatable

Question: what was before BTC and what happened after BTC? 

11 hours ago, Seoulite said:

BTC doesn't even perform its primary function well

Question: you face a lot of double spend on BTC network?

P.S. back to your questions: If you want to remove prove of work, than you need to come up with alternative to fairly distribute tokens, yes/no?

So far, every coin/asset developer wants a huge ownership in tokens for obvious reasons, for "free".

3 minutes ago, xrp-nuke said:

P.S. back to your questions: If you want to remove prove of work, than you need to come up with alternative to fairly distribute tokens, yes/no?

So far, every coin/asset developer wants a huge ownership in tokens for obvious reasons, for "free".

Yes. 

That is absolutely a problem I dislike with every asset. Ripple holding so much is a problem. But even in proof of work there is this problem. As the people who were early (including Satoshi's 1mln) will always have the most. PoW does not solve it by sharing the last few of BTC's with a Chinese mining pool while 95% of the allready mined BTC is in hands of only a few people. That exact problem exists everywhere there is value or power unfortunately and is were Satoshi's wish/vision failed because of human greed.

5 minutes ago, xrp-nuke said:

I will educate you one more time, XRP is 70% of my protfolio, and it never was lower and at some times even higher. So, what you were talking about bias and __logic__? 🥺

This is not education. Your portfolio has nothing to do with this. I held some BTC in the past. I can still disagree with BTC's metrics.

7 minutes ago, xrp-nuke said:

What? Will be very kind on you and repeat myself one more time:

You are not answering the question. You don't like the question or the answer?

8 minutes ago, xrp-nuke said:

Question: what was before BTC and what happened after BTC? 

Question: you face a lot of double spend on BTC network?

Q1.  What was before the steamlocomotive and what happened after the steamtrain. Diesel > electricity > magnetic > teleportation (sooooon)

Q2.  No there are no double spends that we know of. And that for only 121 Terrawatts of electricity annually, impressive!! I've got a tree in my backyard that does not double spend.