rodsvarious

The skeptical thread. What are the biggest problems that you find with Ripple?

The lack of heavy volume is a little concerning to me.  XRP normally hovers in the 400 million range.  I can understand BTC beating it on volume, but why ETH and especially why EOS.  No other currency has the good news and corporate adoption that Ripple has, so is a little baffling why more volume is not there, unless the people that are buying are all just holding, not trading like they are with the others.

30 minutes ago, princesultan said:

I’m not sure I buy into that but it could be possible. Anyways, this thread sucks and should probably be closed. 

Second thread this week. "Private Ledger Debate" is a beautiful read.

1 minute ago, Greeny said:

The lack of heavy volume is a little concerning to me.  XRP normally hovers in the 400 million range.  I can understand BTC beating it on volume, but why ETH and especially why EOS.  No other currency has the good news and corporate adoption that Ripple has, so is a little baffling why more volume is not there, unless the people that are buying are all just holding, not trading like they are with the others.

There's a few fomo preachers holding the front door open while everyone else is making their escape out the back .

"just hodl" they say , 

"buy the dips " they say ,

with each bit of positive news comes a wave of sales to absorb the gains .

1 hour ago, princesultan said:

I’m not sure I buy into that but it could be possible. Anyways, this thread sucks and should probably be closed. 

This is actually a great thread and refreshing to see something different to the umpteen "end of year prediction threads" or your "what caused the price to rise by 1 cent thread" or even "Company X that nobody has ever heard of has managed to send $10 via xRapid, let's all rejoice" thread.

And why would an FI tweet about sending a few bucks via xRapid and brag that it has saved and benefited so many people in many ways?

If that's the case then why the **** not send $100,000 or even higher amounts via xRapid if it's clearly benefiting everyone involved? Surely even the piddliest of FI's out there make hundreds of thousands of cross border payments in a single transaction.

Apologies if I sound downbeat or depressing but these are simple things that need to be addressed.

Edited by Moonraker

When I first started accumulating XRP, it was a few months after the previous ATH.  XRP was trading in a range of $0.15-$0.30.  The mood on the forum was pretty negative as there were some who bought in near the previous ATH.  During Q4 2017, as several other digital assets surpassed XRP in market cap, the mood became very negative.  That is until XRP had its own run.  The mood turned euphoric, and many could not believe seeing $1, $2, and then $3.  However, I believe most on here did not have ill intent.  They were understandably caught up in the excitement.

In regards to the OP's original question, the "rich list" is IMO both XRP's greatest asset and liability.  Ripple's stake in XRP will allow them and their partners to strategically grow the XRP Ledger.  On the other hand, it could be argued Ripple and their executives are trying to replace one form of rent seeking behavior with another.  Both of these could impact the overall success of XRP.

3 hours ago, Moonraker said:

And it's not our job to make them rich which we are clearly doing. Only those that invested before the bull run in December 2017 and cashed out in the 1 month window after that will have benefited. Anyone that hesitated to cash out during that time will, in my opinion, have to wait many years before they will see a return in investment. And that reward will be far less than the ATH of December 2017 but will still never the less make a profit.

Hence the reason I'm warning everyone here to think twice before investing more because, if and when this thing goes **** up, all the FOMO spreaders here will disappear and everyone will be like "well we did say not to invest more than you can afford to lose"  and "we all knew the risks before investing" etc etc. 

Don't be blinded by this very real possibility. Are you really willing to keep throwing money into this for the next 5 years at least without any guarantee of a reward? 

I would suggest that if you've achieved yiur original goal of accumulation then stop there. We all know what happens when people become greedy - very rarely does it bode well.

Those that are yet to invest, go ahead and think carefully for what your accumulation target is and don't exceed it based on FOMO.

Are you out of your mind thinking something like that. Ripple is not a company full of liars and cheats. I’m in no way afraid of losing any money in xrp or digital assets because I actually keep up with the news. I’m reassured everyday that it’s just a matter of time. I’ll keep buying on the cheap if you want to miss this opportunity be my guest good luck

2 minutes ago, Kpuff said:

Are you out of your mind thinking something like that. Ripple is not a company full of liars and cheats. I’m in no way afraid of losing any money in xrp or digital assets because I actually keep up with the news. I’m reassured everyday that it’s just a matter of time. I’ll keep buying on the cheap if you want to miss this opportunity be my guest good luck

If you believe that Bitcoin will reach $20,000 again then go ahead and keep buying as it will mean the price of XRP will reach $3.

The opportunity you talk about buying on the cheap has been in existence for the past 7 years, bar the 2 months in between during the ATH. We will never see prices like this is a phrase that comes to mind.

Other than the value of Bitcoin, has anything else affected the price if XRP to date, even with all the good news surrounding it? The answer is no. So you're basically pinning your hopes on Bitcoin now and, at the same time, people here are wanting to see Bitcoin die.

Now if Bitcoin dies then it will drag XRP down with it. However, I still see XRP recovering but it will take at least 5 years to recover and even then the price won't exceed the current ATH IMO.

4 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

If you believe that Bitcoin will reach $20,000 again then go ahead and keep buying as it will mean the price of XRP will reach $3.

The opportunity you talk about buying on the cheap has been in existence for the past 7 years, bar the 2 months in between during the ATH. We will never see prices like this is a phrase that comes to mind.

Other than the value of Bitcoin, has anything else affected the price if XRP to date, even with all the good news surrounding it? The answer is no. So you're basically pinning your hopes on Bitcoin now and, at the same time, people here are wanting to see Bitcoin die.

Now if Bitcoin dies then it will drag XRP down with it. However, I still see XRP recovering but it will take at least 5 years to recover and even then the price won't exceed the current ATH IMO.

Sorry I just don’t see it that way. I don’t see bitcoin hitting 20,000 again more like 1,000,000$ to me. As far as xrp as the markets mature you will and already have seen steady growth not correlated with btc. I look at the xrp/btc chart and all I see is upward movement from 2013 up to now. Bitcoin can go up or down as much as it wants but xrp always comes back stronger than before 

1 hour ago, Moonraker said:

This is actually a great thread and refreshing to see something different to the umpteen "end of year prediction threads" or your "what caused the price to rise by 1 cent thread" or even "Company X that nobody has ever heard of has managed to send $10 via xRapid, let's all rejoice" thread.

And why would an FI tweet about sending a few bucks via xRapid and brag that it has saved and benefited so many people in many ways?

If that's the case then why the **** not send $100,000 or even higher amounts via xRapid if it's clearly benefiting everyone involved? Surely even the piddliest of FI's out there make hundreds of thousands of cross border payments in a single transaction.

Apologies if I sound downbeat or depressing but these are simple things that need to be addressed.

The liquidity isn't sufficient for large transactions at the moment, so smaller payments are the focus in the near future.  Xrapid is less than 4 months old, and Ripple has already managed to add about a dozen or so production contracts. Having been self-employed my entire adult life, I'm impressed with what Ripple has been able to accomplish in such a short period of time.  It's a matter of improved regulatory clarity, liquidity, and Ripple continuing to add production contracts.  I think we'll see improvement in all three of those categories in 2019, and that's why I continue to remain optimistic about XRP in the near future and long term.     

Edited by ZerpEnthusiast

My biggest concern is adoption taking too long. I think mainstream xrapid\XRP adoption needs to happen within 2 years. 

The landscape is changing quickly, and there will be disruptors and new tech outside of ripples control that may throw a spanner in the works.

Who knows, time will tell.

4 hours ago, Helmsdeep said:

There's a few fomo preachers holding the front door open while everyone else is making their escape out the back .

"just hodl" they say , 

"buy the dips " they say ,

with each bit of positive news comes a wave of sales to absorb the gains .

Ok then:

“ sell and buy the highs” 

Happy? 

2 hours ago, Gilligan said:

Ok, I get what you are saying, but IMO, you are letting the frustration of this prolonged bear market get in the way of critical thinking.  When you say "everybody" was saying the price will go up during Swell, I believe you are generalising in the extreme.  I recall a lot of posts around the time of Swell 2018 warning people not to get excited about price movement possibilities, but yes there was enthusiasm regarding what sort of announcements may be made, and rightly so as it turns out :)   Yes, there is/was the expectation that xRapid would cause the price to rise, but if anyone thought that was going to happen within 2-3months of it going live, then their expectations were a little high I think. I know basically nothing about the financial/technological world but even I could see that it would probably take a while to ramp up, especially with the unsure regulatory environment we are stuck in.   People say it all the time, but patience really is key.  Nobody knows what is going to happen in this space for sure 2 weeks or even 2 days away so for you to keep saying vehemently that nothing will happen for years, and calling out people who have a more balanced view based on actual facts, is in my opinion, ill advised.   I understand the frustration, but I really think there is no way you can say with authority that people are deluded for believing in and being patient with the progress of XRP.

Thanks, agreed, awesome post @Gilligan