Sign in to follow this  
XRP_News

Ripple XRP Groupthink

Hi all,

I posted a video today about the concept of Groupthink, and how it may apply to the XRP Community or crypto communities in general.

Just something to think about going forward regarding our own decisions in this arena.  Interested in any thoughts you have on the issue!

XRP News

It applies on the whole society, groups everywhere, even your own family is a group with specific ideas.  Every group has it’s own rules, taboes, jargon, jokes etc. There’s an evolutionary reason for this human ( and other animals) behaviour, but I won’t go there now. 

So yes, independent thinking is hard to maintain, but worthwile striving for. This goes for pro-XRP groups as for anti-XRP groups.  Hearing both doesn’t garantee independent thinking though, that would be all too simple. Picking of both groups what you feel are logic and reasonable arguments , hopefully mixed with some original thoughts of your own, is the best thing to do imo. 

Yes, certainly hearing both sides doesn't guarantee independent or "objective" thinking, but it certainly doesn't hurt.  I just think crypto in general is extremely open to this dynamic and I think a lot of people fall into it, for instance, by filtering their social media to reflect their own views.  

16 minutes ago, XRP_News said:

Yes, certainly hearing both sides doesn't guarantee independent or "objective" thinking, but it certainly doesn't hurt.  I just think crypto in general is extremely open to this dynamic and I think a lot of people fall into it, for instance, by filtering their social media to reflect their own views.  

Yes, but it’s also way too simple to say that one is a victim of groupthinking when one agrees with a certain group.  So agreeing with 99% of the positive posts on this board still doesn’t make me a “ groupthinker” . Maybe my independent thinking just came to the same conclusions as the majority or general consensus.  Contrarian thinking isn’t the same as independent thinking, so fudsters can be the other side of the same medal. 

It’s the thinking proces that counts, not the outcome per se imho.

Edited by Ripple-Stiltskin

You missed out on "confirmation bias" which is definitely dangerous and something we all indulge in.

Without group-think we would not have shared beliefs, and shared beliefs are what hold cultures together but they cause make people go to war to.  This is all part of being human!

I'm just surprised that there a decent number of people on YT and twitter who think $1000 XRP is actually going to happen and soon. I gave humanity too much credit to begin with.

Edited by Archbob

1 hour ago, XRP_News said:

Just something to think about going forward regarding our own decisions in this arena.  Interested in any thoughts you have on the issue!

XRP News

Since you say you're interested in my thoughts on this "issue":

I didn't click on that, but, whatever, cool that you've just discovered "healthy skepticism" (if a little annoying that, like all people who first discover it, you start with whatever's already at hand or want to go around "waking other people up to this incredible new discovery")...  A little nitpick on your language:  "our own decisions in this arena"?  I don't remember consulting you, whoever you are, before I ever did anything - and I'm certainly not going to start now.  (You shouldn't be promoting what you claim to be against...)

Have fun spreading the "news" of your recent discovery, even though I think your time would be better spent in the silent meditation of reading and research;  that's your call.

:P

3 minutes ago, XRP_News said:

Your own decisions was in reference to your investment decisions in xrp.  

Here's an old joke for you, since you want to play:

There was once a 2nd grader who wanted to quit school.  He approached his teacher and told her so, to which she replied "But you are only a second grader, what will you do?"

"I'll teach first grade!"

:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, NightJanitor said:

Here's an old joke for you, since you want to play:

There was once a 2nd grader who wanted to quit school.  He approached his teacher and told her so, to which she replied "But you are only a second grader, what will you do?"

"I'll teach first grade!"

:rolleyes:

The NightJanitor is here!

17 minutes ago, princesultan said:

The xrp community definitely suffers from groupthink, no doubt about it. Anytime someone brings up something "negative" or contrary to good news, they are attacked. Likely like that with the other coins as well and their forums/following. 

Yeah but 99% of the time it is fud or something else that has been debunked 415 times before. There has been very little valid criticism.

Sign in to follow this