Capone

Price manipulation

Just now, opaopa said:

The only problem with your reasoning is that movements like this make fewer people want to speculte since the movements make the market seem irrational. I think everyone agrees that these movements are hurting crypto and therefore exchanges in every perspective except the very short term.

We cannot underestimate greed and fear. Everytime there is a spike, do you not think that there are folks who will chase the price up? Everytime there is a massive dip, do you not think there are folks who will short the markets? Also, I believe not every exchange that is in the crypto market now is aiming for the long-term. Some are probably just here to milk the markets while the sun shines.

5 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

We cannot underestimate greed and fear. Everytime there is a spike, do you not think that there are folks who will chase the price up? Everytime there is a massive dip, do you not think there are folks who will short the markets? Also, I believe not every exchange that is in the crypto market now is aiming for the long-term. Some are probably just here to milk the markets while the sun shines.

The sun stopped shining a year ago my friend. ;) However, I do agree that there are some exchanges, i.e. Bitmex, that are manipulating the market for short term gains. I read your first comment as if you were saying that there is a general incentive for every / most exchanges to manipulate the market with these "Bart-patterns" and i would argue that instead these movements are hurting most exchanges, it's the minority of exchanges that are profiting from this and the minority of exchanges that are manipulating the market.

I'd say the biggest incentive to manipulate the market, apart from the obvious financial gain, is the impunity. There are no rules or laws to break, no fear of getting caught. The absolute worst that can happen to an exchange doing this is getting called out on Twitter or something similar, and that could and would be spun so much that nobody would be the wiser.

It is the 1920s all over again for these guys, why would they not take advantage? It's free money for them.

Edited by Ylod
typos, as usual

This is just whales nailing the door shut. It's been going on since the introduction of BTC futures.

A whale, or group of whales (a 'pod' ... I believe is the correct term B)), dumps a significant amount of BTC into the market which causes a run of long futures liquidations, tanking the price even further and increasing the profits made on short positions!

307698189_ScreenShot2019-01-10at10_09_04.png.4facd38c44220ed3ad9244932c7f4ab1.png

9 minutes ago, zerpdigger said:

manipulation by alien lizard rothschild bogdanoff-bilderbergers who also built the pyramids

Why don't we forward that one to the SEC :)

On 1/10/2019 at 1:26 AM, Cobalt said:

The big question is where re we now and will fear rule or greed? 

On 1/10/2019 at 2:14 AM, Tripple said:

This is just whales nailing the door shut. It's been going on since the introduction of BTC futures.

A whale, or group of whales (a 'pod' ... I believe is the correct term B)), dumps a significant amount of BTC into the market which causes a run of long futures liquidations, tanking the price even further and increasing the profits made on short positions!

307698189_ScreenShot2019-01-10at10_09_04.png.4facd38c44220ed3ad9244932c7f4ab1.png

At the end of the day for XRP to survive we need to break away sooner than later from BTC. 

1 hour ago, zerpdigger said:

take it from a pro:

Price manipulation is detrimental to all and should be called out every time. Also by joining together in denouncing these mafiosos maybe we can get the SEC to try and take action.