Julian_Williams

Kuwait Finance House started operating an instant cross-border remittance service using Ripple’s blockchain

Just now, Julian_Williams said:

API stands for Application Programming Interface. For most people it is a user friendly interface - does your post invalidate the point I was trying to make?  I am not a programmer and very willing to learn.

That is an over simplification. It might also be an API to a giant statement machine that then executes an unfathomable number of operations in parallel to compute a result. Examples that come to mind are OpenCL, CUDA, OpenGL, Vulkan or Directx. :D 

16 minutes ago, TheXRPer said:

I love when people throw around the abbreviation API as if they know what it is. It's nothing more than using php to extract data from a server and showing said data through a GUI or something simple as Cascading Style Sheet (CSS). 

You're not much of an expert on the subject yourself, it seems.

22 minutes ago, TheXRPer said:

I love when people throw around the abbreviation API as if they know what it is. It's nothing more than using php to extract data from a server and showing said data through a GUI or something simple as Cascading Style Sheet (CSS). 

Not even close....Want to try again?

https://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/sites/default/files/kb/file/2018-12/API EG 045-18 Recommended Functionalities 10 December 2018.pdf

I’ll just drop this in quietly as this gives an example of what is expected of a ‘good’ API.

Eu banks must have them in place for testing in March and production ready by Sept.

3 hours ago, BrownBear said:

Thanks. So there is no DLT with xCurrent. Only messaging to OTHER ILPs.  

David Schwartz himself states xCurrent is not a DLT  As as a blockchain IS a DLT. One can only conclude that xCurrent is not blockchain.

Stefan Thomas says xCurrent uses a form of blockchain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkpx0IdEbBU&feature=youtu.be&t=5m50s

1 hour ago, lucky said:

You're not much of an expert on the subject yourself, it seems.

That's a partially true statement. It depends on what exactly you referring to in web development. I'm correcting people on using API like it's this new, mysterious thing, when all it is language that extracts and shares data from a host server to the public. That's all it is. You saying other wise is absolutely laughable. 

1 hour ago, TheXRPer said:

I’m sorry but may I please gently correct you?  You appear to be misunderstanding what an API actually is....  

An API is an interface.  A set of functions available to do something with the system it fronts.  That doesn’t need to have anything at all to do with a UI or any specific language such as PHP.  It may be a purely back end facility.  Or it may be front facing and be used by a UI. 

In this specific case we are talking about an API to ripplenet implemented in Temenos so its a way for their software to use whatever facilities XVia/Ripplenet is exposing.  Presumably that is at least the messaging (eg Xcurrent-like functions) but also I believe the XRapid-like functions.

39 minutes ago, PG1 said:

Yes I have seen Ripple more than once say that XCurrent creates a transient blockchain as part of creating the atomicity it guarantees.  Maybe it was in that link you shared...   I didn’t look.

So “blockchain” in a Ripple related announcement does not necessarily imply XRapid.

Dont lose sight though,  of the fact that every new member of Ripplenet is able to seamlessly use XRP if and when regulatory clarity worldwide is established.  The network grows and it’s potential is not linear...  it is exponential.

2 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

I’m sorry but may I please gently correct you?  You appear to be misunderstanding what an API actually is....  

An API is an interface.  A set of functions available to do something with the system it fronts.  That doesn’t need to have anything at all to do with a UI or any specific language such as PHP.  It may be a purely back end facility.  Or it may be front facing and be used by a UI. 

In this specific case we are talking about an API to ripplenet implemented in Temenos so its a way for their software to use whatever facilities XVia/Ripplenet is exposing.  Presumably that is at least the messaging (eg Xcurrent-like functions) but also I believe the XRapid-like functions.

The first two paragraphs are word salad to me, and you probably spent 5 minutes reading Wikipedia on the subject matter instead of having read something published by O'Reilly. 

For your last paragraph, you are just reiterating what I just said. Temenos has a software that needs to extract real-time or near real-time data from Ripple's server. Ripple's API allows that. An API can be edit or read only information. The permissions are up to the developer.  Want to know the NYSE or NASDAQ quotes through varies website or mobile apps? It's using an API. Want to check flights using Google Flights from various air carriers, that data is being pulled from the air carriers' API. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, PG1 said:

So who is right, David or Stefan?

Edit: He says xCurrent uses a ephemeral ledger. Where the message isn't stored anywhere, so it's a burn after reading, where the burning happens automatically. So not a blockchain.

Edited by BrownBear