FreedomGundam

Is Earthport purchase by Visa Good News?

2 minutes ago, RikkiTikki said:

Not sure how old this is

<meta property="article:published_time" content="2014-12-04T07:09:42+00:00" />

<meta property="article:modified_time" content="2014-12-04T07:37:32+00:00" />

<meta property="og:updated_time" content="2014-12-04T07:37:32+00:00" />

<meta property="og:image" content="https://cdn.ripple.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/ep.jpg" />

<meta property="og:image:secure_url" content="https://cdn.ripple.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/ep.jpg" />

Just now, Dario_o said:

<meta property="article:published_time" content="2014-12-04T07:09:42+00:00" />

<meta property="article:modified_time" content="2014-12-04T07:37:32+00:00" />

<meta property="og:updated_time" content="2014-12-04T07:37:32+00:00" />

<meta property="og:image" content="https://cdn.ripple.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/ep.jpg" />

<meta property="og:image:secure_url" content="https://cdn.ripple.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/ep.jpg" />

Thanks. Typically you would think if there is nothing going on the public facing news would be taken down to not feed into speculation. 

It's being blown up. Just because this company uses Ripple products does not necessarily mean anything. If Visa wants to work with Ripple they will do so directly, perhaps they already are and the acquisition is part of remodeling their payment infrastructure, but this news itself cannot be defined as good news. 

People seem to be blowing things out of proportion, but that's just my opinion. 

32 minutes ago, DQA said:

It's being blown up. Just because this company uses Ripple products does not necessarily mean anything. If Visa wants to work with Ripple they will do so directly, perhaps they already are and the acquisition is part of remodeling their payment infrastructure, but this news itself cannot be defined as good news. 

People seem to be blowing things out of proportion, but that's just my opinion. 

I agree but in some aspects I disagree, nobody knows if Ripple will work directly or indirectly with visa or even if they will work together at all but the fact that Visa is purchasing a Ripple Partner does spark some positive interest..  This happens all the time in acquisitions you have to look at the partnerships to kind of gauge the roadmap.   "What particular reason would Visa be remotely interested in Earthport?  Being that Visa is headquartered in the USA and as we know US regulation seems to be a step behind what better way to jump in early than to acquire an offshore resource who is essentially not hard bound by US regulations and can facilitate serving Visa customers abroad until we the US get our **** together.  Not trying to read more into it but don't just shoot it down.   At this point who knows which way this will go. Think of it this way this could be a move to put Visa strategically closer to being able to implement Xrapid in case their competitor AMEX decided to flip the switch one day.  I'm thinking VISA wouldn't want to be standing downstream on the AMEX end of that :).  without a contingency plan.  Honestly this may be a start of the Xrapid arms race and were just waiting to see who fires the first shot!!!  The news could be very positive or it could be a big ole ball of nothing but I for one don't believe you spend Millions on nothing sometimes it becomes nothing but that's not the initial plan. Also if they purchased Earthport they are dealing with Ripple directly now.

Edited by RikkiTikki

There's enough evidence about a running cooperation Earthport-Ripple. What we do not know at this stage are Visa's intentions. IMO it would be silly to spend usd 250m to just kill the above cooperation, so I'm confident (doesn't mean sure) there'll be an indirect cooperation Visa-Ripple.