weex123

XRP FUND STOLEN FROM LEDGER NANO S!

8 hours ago, weex123 said:

Hi all!

So after having over 18 000 XRP and investing £10 000, somehow my funds were stolen.

My address rKXsnFbTvL79DrmLE4zPcpN4LkmXYJLKwg .

Hackers address: rUF5TKP4JNyXsHWjHYVWH7ugCB6FTabM8U.

I have bought my ledger of ebay, it came sealed and unopened.

I have the persons name, is there anything i can do to recover my xrp?

It were my life savings....

Why did you buy this on eBay? 100% it's gone. 

27 minutes ago, jn_r said:

The attackers wallet later on traded it for BTC.Gatehub and then redeemed it via Gatehub, using this transaction: 5B208559D158F11F156A5433FA3A768C0016012DBB3C1E3BF6E14FE801D94211. You could get in to contact with Gatehub and ask them (or the police) to followup? Gatehub can definitely identify this person because of their KYC ..

Yes this is a slightly odd theft because it involves Gatehub who should have identifying information.  Normally you’d expect transfer to somewhere anonymous.  

Thanks for this guys, I did message Gatehub earlier today stating same information as I did here. I will be going to the police  station tomorrow, here in UK. Hope they can find out who it was and recover the fund :/ ... Disappointed is a huge understatement

28 minutes ago, jn_r said:

The attackers wallet later on traded it for BTC.Gatehub and then redeemed it via Gatehub, using this transaction: 5B208559D158F11F156A5433FA3A768C0016012DBB3C1E3BF6E14FE801D94211. You could get in to contact with Gatehub and ask them (or the police) to followup? Gatehub can definitely identify this person because of their KYC ..

Yeah, this is true but if this person was able to tamper with the Ledger S in some way, I'm quite sure that he/she could've very well have stolen the identity of someone else or fabricated the KYC credentials. I can't remember if GateHub makes you take an actual photo and a note with the date on it or not. It's been a while since I've used them :scratch_one-s_head: .

5 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

because it involves Gatehub who should have identifying information.

No, this not true :) is possible to set up an account using a pubblic wi fi connection and you have an xrp address...... ( I'm talking about 2 years ago, I do not know how work now ) . No need to KYC to set up bitcoin or xrp addresses

34 minutes ago, BibleChronologyXRP said:

No, this not true :) is possible to set up an account using a pubblic wi fi connection and you have an xrp address...... ( I'm talking about 2 years ago, I do not know how work now ) . No need to KYC to set up bitcoin or xrp addresses

Oh that’s dissapointing if true because it means the OP’s funds are gone then.  

44 minutes ago, King34Maine said:

Yeah, this is true but if this person was able to tamper with the Ledger S in some way, I'm quite sure that he/she could've very well have stolen the identity of someone else or fabricated the KYC credentials. I can't remember if GateHub makes you take an actual photo and a note with the date on it or not. It's been a while since I've used them :scratch_one-s_head: .

Gatehub requires Photo ID (Drivers license etc.) and Proof of Address (see terms of use), if you want to redeem their IOU's. I'd expect this to be also for this account.

Looking at the account and its historical transactions it was an early adopter (december 2013 applying for the 'ComputingForGood' program), then after participating in this for 4 months forgot about XRP and Ripple for 4 years and then in januari 2018 decided to cash in via Gatehub (in USD and BTC), probably due to the fenomal rise of XRP at that time. Only to wake up 11 months later to use the account, but now for some white-washing of stolen XRP. 

So, yes, it could be that at the time he used a fake ID to register at Gatehub,  but it could also be that he has been a bit foolish. It would be great if they could connect him/it with the ledger fraud. 

Edited by jn_r

Maybe it's internal trading not a cash out, do not know if require ID, because in some other operations usd was converted back to xrp again , ( maybe the same amount ? ) only gatehub know. furthermore there is  only one account that was hacked  here : rUF5TKP4JNyXsHWjHYVWH7ugCB6FTabM8U  no others...... I do not know how was possible....

3 minutes ago, BibleChronologyXRP said:

Maybe it's internal trading not a cash out, do not know if require ID, because in some other operations usd was converted back to xrp again , ( maybe the same amount ? ) only gatehub know. furthermore there is  only one account that was hacked  here : rUF5TKP4JNyXsHWjHYVWH7ugCB6FTabM8U  no others...... I do not know how was possible....

You can see from the transaction if someone wants to redeem USD or BTC. The transaction is then always a payment to the gateway address. E.g. look at this transaction:

This transaction was successful, and validated in ledger 43632238 on December 12, 2018 12:51 AM UTC.
DESCRIPTION:
This is a Payment transaction.
The payment is from ~RC-D45E4157B28B6D8 (rUF5TKP4JNyXsHWjHYVWH7ugCB6FTabM8U) to rchGBxcD1A1C2tdxF6papQYZ8kjRKMYcL.
The payment has a destination tag: 644902564
It was instructed to deliver 1.52 BTC.rchGBxcD1A1C2tdxF6papQYZ8kjRKMYcL.
The actual amount delivered was 1.52 BTC.rchGBxcD1A1C2tdxF6papQYZ8kjRKMYcL
The transaction's sequence number is 27

As you can see it is a Payment transaction and it is sent to rchGBxcD1A1C2tdxF6papQYZ8kjRKMYcL, which is Gatehubs gateway account for BTC. The IOU is removed from the ledger and Gatehub sends the equivalent amount of BTC to the destination bitcoin address. The destination tag 644902564 is the unique Gatehub Id with which Gatehub should be able to identify the person.

This another hack  where is absolutely  not possible to know what happened.... it's full of these stories..... a professional hacker do not use an account where his or her real ID is tied to the account he or she used to stole money . A beginner or an occasional  crook is not so skilled to stole money in this way.......   as many other stories , completely dark to understand what happened to me.

13 hours ago, Pablo said:

The only thing I can think of is that the device has been tampered with in such a way that it only produces one set of 24 word keys. 

If the scammers were able to do that and still have the device pass the Ledger security and authentication test, then they are next level hackers and Ledger needs to know about it. The fact that the wallet holder has been in XRP for 5 years says a lot, none of it good.

I can't find anywhere online a proof that a crypto-theft took place because someone successfully got past these 2 security measures created by Ledger to confirm firmware authenticity:

• Genuine Ledger devices hold a secret key that is set during manufacture.
  • Only a genuine Ledger device can use its key to provide the cryptographic proof required to connect with Ledger’s secure server.

Maybe other users are more good to search thoroughly and could report their findings

22 hours ago, weex123 said:

Yes, as soon as I received it, I have setup a new PIN and recovery words which I have written down on  a piece of paper and hidden. I already read about buying Ledger from resellers before buying mine, so I have resetted it before acctually creating new pin and recovery words. I am baffled as to how would this be possible.

Me too, I also suspect these are fake theft reports , because someone have something against nano ledger company.