Thanks @Hodor

Guess 2019 will be an interesting year, especially for smart contracts. TBH I'm very curious if Codius will be in the centre of the stage. As we know Ripple has its focus on payments. Maybe R3/Corda and Dfinity will show some awesome things ... maybe other platforms :popcorn1:

Edited by Rey

30 minutes ago, Rey said:

TBH I'm very curious if Codius will be in the centre of the stage.

There are a LOT of possibilities around smart contracts, but I think there needs to be a business that specializes in the application of smart contracts, and that helps other big businesses and banks see the possible applications. 

I'm astounded that the Codius ecosystem is not already packed with smart contracts!

Another great blog @Hodor, thanks.

FYI - grammatical error: drop the "ed"

R3 & Real Property Transactions

Since R3 announced that they'd be supporting XRP settlement out-of-the-box in their new "Corda Settler" application, there has been an increased amount of "interested" from the XRP Community about what this means for network liquidity.

Do you think Brad might confirm the "at least one bank by the end of 2018" in his AMA later or maybe say it's being deferred until 2019?

1 hour ago, Hodor said:

I'm astounded that the Codius ecosystem is not already packed with smart contracts!

I`d  be surprised if smart-contracts based on Codius were out already, since there is no place for that just yet. Better solve one issue at a time; money first, then data, And this is exactly what Ripple is doing. 

27 minutes ago, WhentheBoat_ComesIn said:

Do you think Brad might confirm the "at least one bank by the end of 2018" in his AMA later or maybe say it's being deferred until 2019?

Well... I'm one of those people that checks that box with Catalyst Federal Credit Union, which puts me in the minority, but in general, yes; I think he will address XRP adoption this afternoon. 

It's the absolute #1 topic; and I think he'll cover a variety of subjects just like last time. 

28 minutes ago, P3T3RIS said:

Better solve one issue at a time

It's hard to disagree, but I think some of these can evolve in parallel. 

To your point though, Ripple is very cognizant of sequencing activities and development in the most rational manner for support of adoption.  I just think others in the ecosystem don't 'have to wait' for approval. 

3 hours ago, P3T3RIS said:

Better solve one issue at a time; money first, then data, And this is exactly what Ripple is doing. 

I agree with this also but thats the beauty of Xpring.  To Hodor's point about needing a business to specialize in this it would he great to have a dedicated firm spun off of Ripple alum similar to Coil dedicated to Smart Contracts development and why not aim high- tackle the derivatives market!  Ripple has such an overwhelming advantage when it comes to smart contracts in the financial services industry as its another tool existing clients (R3 and Ripple) can leverage without needing to involve another vendor.  I found it very interesting that between Ripple and R3 they have EVERY major consulting firm as direct clients or partners.   

Edited by aavkk

Another great blog post that germinates many stimulating thoughts.  How do our tiny minds imagine the impact that the The Internet of Value will have on the mundane routines of everyday life?  We are beginning to get some hints.  These hints are infecting our language;  The XRP community is now being called the XRP ecosystem

We all started our journey imagining how the Internet of Value will disrupt businesses involved in financial transactions.  The transparency, speed and cheapness of digital money will create better financial services. It all sounds so obvious and innocent.   Then Marcus Treacher came along with his prediction that the monolithic banks will become fragmented into an ecosystem of interlinked modules that provide every financial service under the sun.  Treacher's imagined version of Internet of Value is an ecosystem of mini modules that can be used and combined in creative ways.  Such a system has extreme plasticity and adaptability.   "The Internet of Value" might also be thought of as an " Internet of Financial Adaptability".  

The Internet of Financial Adaptability will not be restricted to services provided by the analogue banks.  The services the IoFA will provide services that have specificity that matches the needs of their customers.  Having started with the metaphor of an XRP ecosystem, lets continue this line of thought by imagining the customers of The IoFA as being the "hosts" that provide sustenance to the new financial modules that are competing to survive on the Internet of value.  If something comes along that is better we stop using them, and that service dies.  This vision is again mimicking the way biology uses the survival of the fittest to set up and develop the natural world.

The old way of thinking about evolution was that single cells became multicellular organisms all sharing a common DNA.  When organism of different genetic heritage lived together we characterised the relationships as being  a Host organism with  Parasites, Epiphytes or Symbionts.  In modern biology we are now thinking of our bodies as holobionts (If you are new to this word: Holobionts are assemblages of different species that form ecological units. Lynn Margulis proposed that any physical association between individuals of different species for significant portions of their life history is a symbiosis.)    The human body is a holobiont.   We host several pints of tiny symbionts all with their own DNA. Our DNA is a tiny fraction of the DNA that works inside our bodies to make us function as one human being. 

The development of these businesses on the IOV are almost biological, although the watchmaker is not completely blind and can intervene with tweaks.  However like biological systems, once the process starts it just goes on growing and expanding into every crevice that will support "life" (business activity). This thought experiment has created a new metaphor for XRP.  XRP are one of the capsules of energy that keep all these systems alive, without DAs everything stops.  A bit like every living cell that has no  ATP runs out of energy and dies.

Edited by Julian_Williams

Worthy, well thought out reads by both Hodor, and then, by Julian - Thanks guys, I really enjoyed these!  I predict that 2019 is going to be the year where the IoT and the IoV come together almost explosively, in what will ultimately become one of the most unimaginably civilization-changing relationships ever. What a joy to have even a smidgeon of awareness of what's about to unfold.

2 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

Brad is spreading FUD that you might be a thoughtful "she"   Cross dressing? :newblush:

Congratulations on getting your question asked.  They obviously regard you highly

Ha! 

Cool that he asked my question!  I don't always get my questions asked in AMA sessions: I think he made some good predictions for 2019.

I think it was a great AMA, and it explains why they probably won't be more forthcoming about specifics other than to tell us about the exchanges involved.