@Hodor have you any interest in doing a live stream or video ? What you're doing is fantastic and appreciated by all and very time consuming I bet , but a video from yourself would be cool/friggin awesome  every once in a while , questions from some of these amazing bright people on here too many to name (good , bad and indifferent) would be valued . I'm a visual guy (probably from looking at playboy mags as a teenager,  no words necessary :D) anyway just a thought. I reiterate your time and effort in what you do and have done for the community is immeasurable. 

11 minutes ago, Truckdriver said:

have you any interest in doing a live stream or video ?

I toyed with the idea for a while last year, but I think I do my best work behind the keyboard... I think it provides a bit of extra time to let ideas and concepts percolate a bit more on complex topics. 

1 hour ago, panmores said:

How this volatility and obviously (am more careful now) manipulative crypto market environment might have an impact on xRapid uptake.

As far as your overall positivism goes, I wish I could be more like you and be able to see the greater scope.

Keep doing what you do best, and thanks again for all your hard work @Hodor!

I feel like I answered your question comprehensively here:

If you want me to be explicit:  Volatility will have -0- impact on xRapid uptake.  And I don't agree with you that XRP is manipulated. 

Thank you for the olive branch, but it's no big deal to disagree or debate with me; there's no such thing as royalty in XRP as far as I'm concerned.  I am just as informed, or uninformed, as any of us. 

7 hours ago, panmores said:

Boy, you seem to be on the edge like the market, while I seem to have insulted royalty without intending so.

So my initial question stands:

How this volatility and obviously (am more careful now) manipulative crypto market environment might have an impact on xRapid uptake.

As far as your overall positivism goes, I wish I could be more like you and be able to see the greater scope.

Keep doing what you do best, and thanks again for all your hard work @Hodor!

Volatility is not a big problem for xrapid (https://fudbingo.com/). Liquidity is a problem but one that’s getting solved. @Hodor is generally bullish on XRP’s long-term prospects but he has mentioned risks in the past. It’s actually hard to find balanced negative material about XRP but I think David Schwartz has been pretty honest about it. He has said they could be crazy for thinking XRP will work. He has sold some XRP in the past. Them’s the breaks.

General manipulation (not specific to XRP) in the markets is a risk to XRP in the short to medium term as it appears to frighten regulators and XRP would like broader regulatory clarity. Who knows how long that could take. Three years? Ten? In the meantime it will be confined to usage where regulation is more relaxed.

XRP is a very high risk investment and nobody should extend so much into it to the degree that they are seriously uncomfortable. So don’t do that.

Edited by spondulixrp

14 hours ago, Hodor said:

If you're referring to my reparte with @panmores I'll go ahead and decline to take your advice.  :P

I've battled misinformation and nonsense for over a year; you don't get anywhere by worrying about offending the sensibilities of some people that don't like to see proper debate back and forth. 

I assume, that you really can't feel this thing, so I will say it out loud. Your reactions to every question, which doesn't reflect the optimistic narrative of "XRP community" echo chamber, becoming more and more sharp. I mean, it's internet, pal. People can ask anything they want, and it is not a reason for an outrage.

1 hour ago, spondulixrp said:

Volatility is not a big problem for xrapid (https://fudbingo.com/). Liquidity is a problem but one that’s getting solved.

Market liquidity refers to the extent to which a market, such as a country's stock market or a city's real estate market, allows assets to be bought and sold at stable prices. Cash is considered the most liquid asset, while real estate, fine art and collectibles are all relatively illiquid.

Just for the record:  liquidity ( the degree to which an asset can be bought or sold without affecting the price) equals  volatility, by definition as the degree of liquidity is defined by the degree of volatility.

Often discussed all over the board, but the discussions almost always derail by the lack of a common used definition and meaning. 

19 hours ago, Hodor said:

So you didn't read the blog, or my criticisms of the Q3 XRP markets report.  Or my concern over the sealed settlement of R3.  Or this blog where I talk about perception risk. 

But you feel confident enough to make a generalization like that. 

Which point in your laundry list?  :D

Hodor,  I think your blogs are fantastic but your response to Panmores questions are a little condescending and holier than thou. 

Not everyone in the XRP community is as bright as yourself but we all have a place here and just want  questions answered. 

I appreciate your blogs on the ecosystem but in regards to Ripples movements or that of XRP unless you are a Chris Larsen,  Brad Garlinghouse, David Swartz, etc, or an insider,  it is all speculation.

Give the man a break. He just has the same questions that a good number of us have.

18 minutes ago, Ripple-Stiltskin said:

Market liquidity refers to the extent to which a market, such as a country's stock market or a city's real estate market, allows assets to be bought and sold at stable prices. Cash is considered the most liquid asset, while real estate, fine art and collectibles are all relatively illiquid.

Just for the record:  liquidity ( the degree to which an asset can be bought or sold without affecting the price) equals  volatility, by definition as the degree of liquidity is defined by the degree of volatility.

Often discussed all over the board, but the discussions almost always derail by the lack of a common used definition and meaning. 

Thanks for the clarification on terms.

So generally what I meant is that XRP needs more pairings and “official” partner exchanges for the network effect to spread.  I guess that contributes to liquidity and thus lowers volatility. As has been said a zillion times, the price just needs to be less volatile than fiat over the same corridor, which apparently it already is in certain instances.

I think @Hodor has raised legitimate and considered questions in his past blogs, the stuff about volatility etc. seems to be a tired old red herring at this point.

1 minute ago, spondulixrp said:

I guess that contributes to liquidity and thus lowers volatility.

Agreed that “ accessibility” of XRP contributes to higher liquidity and lower volatility. 

Efficient utility of higher value payments requires a higher price, but that is another ( although not 100%, there is a correlation) question. 

16 hours ago, Hodor said:

I've battled misinformation and nonsense for over a year; you don't get anywhere by worrying about offending the sensibilities of some people that don't like to see proper debate back and forth. 

Just on another note @Hodor, accusing me of misinformation and nonsense is a bit rough. You might not read the forums on a regular basis, but for instance I went to great lengths to de-FUD the hopium that TAS Group still is a major Ripple partner - they haven't updated anything since four years. Or Earthport, nothing going on.

All one has to do is write these companies an email and share it with concerned people here. Some still don't believe in facts.

I would describe myself as open- and critical-minded, and maybe overly careful. Certainly not a fanboy, and for sure not a blind follower of a cult.

B)

16 hours ago, Hodor said:

When answering a question implies that I agree with statements within the question, it's a non-starter. 

Let's review what just happened:

1) I post an announcement of my blog

2) You post a reply which starts off insulting my critical discourse and saying I only publish "always upbeat material"

3) Then you display a laundry list of items which I then responded to

4) You respond by ignoring how I addressed your concern of volatility and then claim that XRP price is manipulated.

5) I respond to that claim by asking you to provide a source. 

6) You ignore my request for a source and then respond with a different claim that XRP behaves price-wise like all other coins.

7) I then respond to that claim by pointing you to a blog where I disprove that claim.

8) You ignore that response, and post a blanket criticism that you've gotten under my skin with your 'critical questions.'

Wow.  I've been gaslighted by far more skillful players. 

Have a good day @panmores

micdrop.jpg

55 minutes ago, Ripple-Stiltskin said:

Did you copy/paste this from somewhere? I would kind of disagree but someone correct me if I am wrong. 

Liquidity is not about price stability, but about how quickly you can buy/sell your asset and is very dependant on volume. For example, all the traders flock to Bitcoin because it has the highest volume in the crypto world, which means you can get in/out of huge positions with little difficulty, but volatility can still be high. If volume is low, large buy/sell orders can move the price a lot, or in severe circumstances you may not even have a buyer, and the asset is known as illiquid. 

A good example is the housing market, very illiquid and can take a long time to sell your house, but volatility is very low as there is major price concistency between comparable houses in that area, and illiquidity does not always = volatility. 

Edited by Agrilax

14 minutes ago, Ripple-Stiltskin said:

Agreed that “ accessibility” of XRP contributes to higher liquidity and lower volatility. 

Efficient utility of higher value payments requires a higher price, but that is another ( although not 100%, there is a correlation) question. 

I don’t know if this exists but it would be cool to have a world map of exchanges which are providing XRP and some slider to show the growth of the network over time, highlight official partners etc.

Don’t know how many new zerp pairings have been introduced this year but it’s surely a lot.

33 minutes ago, Agrilax said:

Did you copy/paste this from somewhere? I would kind of disagree but someone correct me if I am wrong. 

Yep, Investopedia, textbooks from school etc etc, Google is your friend. 

Liquidity is not about price stability,

You’re wrong according to the general accepted definition of “ market liquidity” in academic circles. You don’t only want to be able to sell or buy quickly, you also want it for a reasonable price ( the “ fair market price”) and not 50% higher or lower.  In your ( partly false) description every asset is liquid ( because there’s always a price to buy or sell> but way off current price).

Yes, it’s correlated with a high daily average trading volume. Measured in a timeframe of months ( hence: average) and not just a particular hour or day. 

A good example is the housing market, very illiquid and can take a long time to sell your house, but volatility is very low as there is major price concistency between comparable houses in that area, and illiquidity does not always = volatility. 

This is BS imo. ( so if you want to sell quickly in an illiquid housing market as you described> you have to lower your price substantially> high volatility).

Please note that this is a question of definition> we all agreed that liquidity means low(er) volatility. 

If you want to introduce a new definition that’s fine by me. 

Edited by Ripple-Stiltskin