Sio2yH2O

Building on Ripple tech and XRP

Hi,

Feel sort of silly asking this as it seems I should know the answer but for some reason it eludes me.

- Can securities and other asset class items be tokenized using Ripple tech ?
- Can other tokens be created, lets say a private or even national digital currency built on top of XRP ?

Newb question but still....

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Sio2yH2O said:

Xpring is working on this area ( https://xpring.co/ ): 

Asset Tokenization

Blockchains provide the opportunity to tokenize value such as equity, virtual goods or real estate – providing better liquidity and programmability. We’re particularly excited about the potential for new design paradigms in gaming unlocked by virtual goods and economies based on digital assets.

Decentralized Finance

As XRP makes value exchange faster and easier, there will be great opportunities for new financial products built on digital assets. Those opportunities include debt, derivatives, futures, forwards and more.

Just now, Sio2yH2O said:

Much appreciated. I think that's where my brain was getting fuzzy - the standalone nature of XRP vs. ILP capability.

TBH, it is pretty difficult tech and it is quite hard keeping up with all the possibilities/upgrades/third party developments. So far, the possibilities seem pretty limitless. 

18 minutes ago, Sio2yH2O said:

Hi,

Feel sort of silly asking this as it seems I should know the answer but for some reason it eludes me.

- Can other tokens be created, lets say a private or even national digital currency built on top of XRP ?

Thanks.

https://developers.ripple.com/issued-currencies.html

7 minutes ago, Silenos said:

Xpring is working on this area ( https://xpring.co/ ): 

Asset Tokenization

Blockchains provide the opportunity to tokenize value such as equity, virtual goods or real estate – providing better liquidity and programmability. We’re particularly excited about the potential for new design paradigms in gaming unlocked by virtual goods and economies based on digital assets.

Decentralized Finance

As XRP makes value exchange faster and easier, there will be great opportunities for new financial products built on digital assets. Those opportunities include debt, derivatives, futures, forwards and more.

@Silenos thanks for clarifying even further!

5 minutes ago, Plikk said:

TBH, it is pretty difficult tech and it is quite hard keeping up with all the possibilities/upgrades/third party developments. So far, the possibilities seem pretty limitless. 

It seems that more and more articles of tokenization of asset classes are coming out. That and the talk of nations, central banks and corporations issuing there own digital currencies.

The folks at Ripple do seem to have the 300 year plan mapped out pretty well.

Edited by Sio2yH2O

2 minutes ago, hammertoe said:

In short, yes. You can issue 'IOUs' (aka issued assets) on the XRP Ledger really quite easily. You could use those to represent whatever you wanted. They could be securities (as Securitize is doing) or they could be other assets like gold (as BPG are doing). 

-Matt

Awesome! thanks @hammertoe

1 hour ago, Sio2yH2O said:

Hi,

Thanks.

You don't *need* ILP to do this, although ILP can speed things to amazing levels. 

The XRP Ledger has a built-in DEX (decentralized exchange) where any wallet holder can create a counter-party asset.   This could be any token for any purpose, including a tokenized security, in theory. 

Tokenizing securities seems like a middle step that will probably only be done for a few years max. The end-state would involve the security never being issued on paper in the first place (digital IPO). Essentially it would be like an ICO but based around a smart contract giving someone fractional ownership rights of a company.

This makes me think that CBDC’s might eventually wind up being the “real” underlying value with paper currency being issued on top of it. The paper would be backed by the digital currency reserve of the central bank and not vice versa, as most stablecoins try to do now.

8 hours ago, Sio2yH2O said:

Hi,

Thanks.

Here is an example of a company who will be utilizing the XRP-Ledger to do just that:

Securitize - Security Tokens platform to use XRP-Ledger

Securitize Platform Investors

Edited by King34Maine