Sign in to follow this  
LordVetinari

Australia Passes Anti-Encryption Laws (Privacy Coins included?)

20 minutes ago, LordVetinari said:

Australia Passes Anti-Encryption Laws

Privacy coins, I thinks that's you too. 

XRP? not really.

Still, amazing news. Australians will have to speak into the Big Brother Microphone at all times, private conversations will be illegal, artificial intelligence will be listening, and may send out the mosquito-sized drones. Scary as hell.

Edited by lucky

@lucky The scary part is that Australian authorities could legally press a company like Apple, Google or even an individual developer and say, "Give us the keys." If they refuse, it could mean permission to do services people in Australia.

It's a big loss for companies, perhaps a loss for consumers and a tremendous loss of privacy. Essentially, every Australian consumer must accept that everything can be decrypted. 

Psychologically, that's disturbing.

1 hour ago, LordVetinari said:

@lucky The scary part is that Australian authorities could legally press a company like Apple, Google or even an individual developer and say, "Give us the keys." If they refuse, it could mean permission to do services people in Australia.

It's a big loss for companies, perhaps a loss for consumers and a tremendous loss of privacy. Essentially, every Australian consumer must accept that everything can be decrypted. 

Psychologically, that's disturbing.

Perhaps a big loss for consumers? Outlawing private conversation leads to totalitarian state, a nightmare scenario, as described in "1984" from George Orwell. Once you give up your basic rights, it's very hard to get them back.

I might be totally wrong. But my gut feeling tells me that is more this than meets the eye. A far bigger scheme - the Tradeware against China now conducted in the background by the 5-star Alliance. Fresh from NYT. Read and draw you own conclusions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/technology/huawei-arrest-meng-wanzhou.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Edited by zenkert

55 minutes ago, lucky said:

Perhaps a big loss for consumers?

Yes. I meant perhaps. However, my comment may have been too vague. I meant to convey the following only as it pertains to consumers' choices.

Some companies may face a decision to either turn over theirs keys or not do business in Australia. 

I don't live in Australia, but for the sake of argument, let's say I do. If Google decided not to turn over keys and geographically block Australia, that would be a loss for me. However, if it was Facebook, well, not so much. I already actively block and avoid Facebook. 

And with regards to a totalitarian state overseeing the actions of its citizens, I absolutely agree with you. 

Edited by LordVetinari

So my specific question and why it's relent on xrpchat, is how this relates to cryptocurrency? 

Whether guilty or innocent, let's say a wallet address becomes part of a criminal investigation. The owner of the private key refuses to turn the key over to the authorities.

Will this law require developers to write into the code or provide a tool for determining the key without the owner's participation? 

5 hours ago, LordVetinari said:

So my specific question and why it's relent on xrpchat, is how this relates to cryptocurrency? 

Whether guilty or innocent, let's say a wallet address becomes part of a criminal investigation. The owner of the private key refuses to turn the key over to the authorities.

Will this law require developers to write into the code or provide a tool for determining the key without the owner's participation? 

My thought to your question is that if a crypto is decentralized then they can’t, no one can. However, Australia could potentially put up a giant firewall, like China, which would utterly decimate their economy as no other countries would want to do business with them. There’s a big enough pie in developing economies that I think internatjonl companies would just boycott them.

This is some scary sh!t, it's the thin end of the wedge that the five eyes countries are trying to drive into our freedoms in the name of security. Just last week the NZ SIS banned Huawei from participating in the construction of our 5G network because America told them to based on the assumption that China would be able to spy on us. So it seems our governments are wanting to do exactly that themselves. It won't be long before it's illegal to turn off your television.

Sign in to follow this