Hmmmm ? So what what you're really saying between the lines Hodor there's a marginal chance we might have a return on our investment :D , wow another doozie Hodor :good:,  years to come at schools around the world when they study the progress of crypto, I'm sure your blogs will be used as reference of points of time. Many thanks once again.

1 hour ago, Truckdriver said:

years to come at schools around the world when they study the progress of crypto, I'm sure your blogs will be used as reference of points of time.

Thank you for the encouragement @Truckdriver!  However, I am no learned scholar; I'm a humble Java developer who just writes what he thinks under an anonymous avatar! 

That being said, I think some economist thought leaders ought to do a much better job in researching new fintech technology before making pronouncements or dismissing innovations.  Some have true vision (Jaron Lanier, etc..)  but others are sorely lacking. 

8 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

Your summary this weeks was for me amongst your most inspiring.  People think because the price is forever stuck and tied to Bitcoin, because Banks have not started using XRP, that the Ripple project is stalling.  In fact your post today explains why it is more like a dot in space that has exploded.  Like Big Bang started in one tiny corner of space.  It travels outwards in all directions from its centre: Warping, changing and blossoming in every crevice that it colonises and engulfs.  There is no reversing of a big bang, it simply colonises everything it touches.

A good way of knowing that a company that is is going places and really confident about itself is through the colonisation of language.  Apple created i- as in i-phone, i-phone and i-player.  But the use of i- is mostly restricted to apple products.  We have seen a big bang come out of the word "smart" (smart phone, smart tech, smart TV....) The ripple language big bang is altogether on a bigger scale than Apple, it colonising everything it touches, including institutional language!  The Internet of Value and DLT are now part of the lexicon of crytpo currency.  But the word crypto currency has been colonised and warped by Ripple.  The G20 statement says we will "We will regulate crypto-assets for anti-money laundering..." Notice the colonisation by Mike Carney, chairperson of FSB and the BoE and friend of Ripple, into the language of G20.  Treacher has been talking a lot of the de-fragmentation of banking services.  Again the G20 have highlighted this Ripple language coming from Treacher "We will continue to monitor and, if necessary, tackle emerging risks and vulnerabilities in the financial system; and, through continued regulatory and supervisory cooperation, address fragmentation."

"Internet of Things" was adopted by Ripple when they invented a concept called "The Internet of Value".  This is now fragmenting as you write of "The Internet of Payments".  Are we going to have  (IoT, IoV, IoPayments, Internet of Micropayments, Internet of Sharing)

Treacher did it again in KYC = Know Your Customer.  Treacher has a new concept KYT (Know Your Thing).  This KY stuff might have been around for a while; the two way nature of digital money turns KY into a big bang event.  There might be all sorts of KY's coming.  KYsharer, KYSupplier, KYPlumber?

I saw another example this week.  It was coming from KarmerCoverage whilst discussing Treacher's ideas about fragmentation.  Karmer writes of "Extractionary value business models" and "Emergent value business models".  Treacher's and Karmer's  discoveries about the relationships between "Two way communication" and "Fragmentation" reminds me very much of stuff I have been reading from Neuroscience.  For instance this is the title of a paper on emotion "A Two-Way Road: Efferent and Afferent Pathways of Autonomic Activity in Emotion"  

Blockchain is essentially about organisation.  It is about using two way decision making across fragmented entities.  Satotoshi called it "decentralisation", a good word.  But Satoshi was retreading, renaming and rediscovering something that is being discussed and talked about across many multi disciplines.  It is not even a discovery, it is an insight into how nature invents and builds. 

Apologies to those who already read my comment in my other posting: 

Two way communication between fragmented entities is an idea that is big banging it way across technology, biology, medicine, psychology, economics.  Ripple has built an ecosystem that has grasped this idea.  Its a big Bang event and nothing will stop it now.

Fascinating insights  thank you .

11 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

Warping, changing and blossoming in every crevice that it colonises and engulfs.

Sorry for being off topic, but I will use that line to attract a Universe of Wetness, each and every time!!! :air_kiss:

@Julian_Williams sort of the conclusion of the How xPool write up was...

"The big idea… Once you have a series of banks, each with their N/V terms expressed on each other’s xCurrent ledgers via Quality in/out… then finding the best combination of many xCurrent ledger paths to send a payment through, is effectively preforming distributed pathfinding across all relationships, in an automated way!!!"

You make some good parallel points. Once you see the pattern, there it is.

That extractionary vs emergent business models, that is from the KarmaCoverage Mini series, I think from the first one.

Edited by KarmaCoverage

1 hour ago, KarmaCoverage said:

@Julian_Williams sort of the conclusion of the How xPool write up was...

"The big idea… Once you have a series of banks, each with their N/V terms expressed on each other’s xCurrent ledgers via Quality in/out… then finding the best combination of many xCurrent ledger paths to send a payment through, is effectively preforming distributed pathfinding across all relationships, in an automated way!!!"

You make some good parallel points. Once you see the pattern, there it is.

That extractionary vs emergent business models, that is from the KarmaCoverage Mini series, I think from the first one.

Yes it is all about self organisational strategies with a bit of evolution thrown in.  They are doing all sorts of work with chess programs where the computer develops strategies by looking for patterns and exploiting them.  The results are frightening. The intelligence that emerges is not longer fake.

Your XPool writing is way above my pay grade.  It seems to me that XPool will be essential for liquidity

Your writing on extractionary and emergent business models is right on the money.  Emergence as a way of thinking about autonomous organisation is so obviously right.  I have spent my whole life trying to learn to draw.  When I discovered what you called emergence everything began to fit in place and barriers that had been in my way for decades fell away. I saw on another thread that you are combining these ideas with theories about time.  Yep, time warps everything and makes everything in our brains turn into a fuzzy intuitive mess, it also is the exciting ingredient that makes everything in these systems come alive.   The word that is missing in your texts is plasticity, this is a really important quality that you have to include in your modelling (IMO).

Apologies for calling you Karmer instead of Karma.

Edited by Julian_Williams

7 hours ago, Paulo said:

Thanks @Hodor

Your intro line "Here is a message to all prize-winning economists who may be contributing to publications this year:  dismiss digital assets at your own peril." reminded me of this: :lol:

In his defense, here's what Krugman said regarding the context of that quote:

It was a thing for the Times magazine’s 100th anniversary, written as if by someone looking back from 2098, so the point was to be fun and provocative, not to engage in careful forecasting; I mean, there are lines in there about St. Petersburg having more skyscrapers than New York, which was not a prediction, just a thought-provoker.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/paul-krugman-internets-effect-economy/ 

Regardless, though, it serves to illustrate the power of unknowns in determining how tech innovations can affect outcomes!

15 hours ago, Centaurus said:

There is only one Hodor. Which is shame as two would mean twice as many blogs! 😉

Thank you.

You mean Ripple “unofficial” blog?:)) 

nice read

18 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

Your summary this weeks was for me amongst your most inspiring.  People think because the price is forever stuck and tied to Bitcoin, because Banks have not started using XRP, that the Ripple project is stalling.  In fact your post today explains why it is more like a dot in space that has exploded.  Like Big Bang started in one tiny corner of space.  It travels outwards in all directions from its centre: Warping, changing and blossoming in every crevice that it colonises and engulfs.  There is no reversing of a big bang, it simply colonises everything it touches.

A good way of knowing that a company that is is going places and really confident about itself is through the colonisation of language.  Apple created i- as in i-phone, i-phone and i-player.  But the use of i- is mostly restricted to apple products.  We have seen a big bang come out of the word "smart" (smart phone, smart tech, smart TV....) The ripple language big bang is altogether on a bigger scale than Apple, it colonising everything it touches, including institutional language!  The Internet of Value and DLT are now part of the lexicon of crytpo currency.  But the word crypto currency has been colonised and warped by Ripple.  The G20 statement says we will "We will regulate crypto-assets for anti-money laundering..." Notice the colonisation by Mike Carney, chairperson of FSB and the BoE and friend of Ripple, into the language of G20.  Treacher has been talking a lot of the de-fragmentation of banking services.  Again the G20 have highlighted this Ripple language coming from Treacher "We will continue to monitor and, if necessary, tackle emerging risks and vulnerabilities in the financial system; and, through continued regulatory and supervisory cooperation, address fragmentation."

"Internet of Things" was adopted by Ripple when they invented a concept called "The Internet of Value".  This is now fragmenting as you write of "The Internet of Payments".  Are we going to have  (IoT, IoV, IoPayments, Internet of Micropayments, Internet of Sharing)

Treacher did it again in KYC = Know Your Customer.  Treacher has a new concept KYT (Know Your Thing).  This KY stuff might have been around for a while; the two way nature of digital money turns KY into a big bang event.  There might be all sorts of KY's coming.  KYsharer, KYSupplier, KYPlumber?

I saw another example this week.  It was coming from KarmerCoverage whilst discussing Treacher's ideas about fragmentation.  Karmer writes of "Extractionary value business models" and "Emergent value business models".  Treacher's and Karmer's  discoveries about the relationships between "Two way communication" and "Fragmentation" reminds me very much of stuff I have been reading from Neuroscience.  For instance this is the title of a paper on emotion "A Two-Way Road: Efferent and Afferent Pathways of Autonomic Activity in Emotion"  

Blockchain is essentially about organisation.  It is about using two way decision making across fragmented entities.  Satotoshi called it "decentralisation", a good word.  But Satoshi was retreading, renaming and rediscovering something that is being discussed and talked about across many multi disciplines.  It is not even a discovery, it is an insight into how nature invents and builds. 

Apologies to those who already read my comment in my other posting: 

Two way communication between fragmented entities is an idea that is big banging it way across technology, biology, medicine, psychology, economics.  Ripple has built an ecosystem that has grasped this idea.  Its a big Bang event and nothing will stop it now.

Apple didn't "create" the I branding. Meerly used it along with others before.

12 hours ago, Truckdriver said:

Hmmmm ? So what what you're really saying between the lines Hodor there's a marginal chance we might have a return on our investment :D , wow another doozie Hodor :good:,  years to come at schools around the world when they study the progress of crypto, I'm sure your blogs will be used as reference of points of time. Many thanks once again.

Not going to happen.

6 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

Yes it is all about self organisational strategies with a bit of evolution thrown in.  They are doing all sorts of work with chess programs where the computer develops strategies by looking for patterns and exploiting them.  The results are frightening. The intelligence that emerges is not longer fake.

Your XPool writing is way above my pay grade.  It seems to me that XPool will be essential for liquidity

Your writing on extractionary and emergent business models is right on the money.  Emergence as a way of thinking about autonomous organisation is so obviously right.  I have spent my whole life trying to learn to draw.  When I discovered what you called emergence everything began to fit in place and barriers that had been in my way for decades fell away. I saw on another thread that you are combining these ideas with theories about time.  Yep, time warps everything and makes everything in our brains turn into a fuzzy intuitive mess, it also is the exciting ingredient that makes everything in these systems come alive.   The word that is missing in your texts is plasticity, this is a really important quality that you have to include in your modelling (IMO).

Apologies for calling you Karmer instead of Karma.

Interesting caught up with an old mate on the weekend and went to a car show, he still doesn't have internet but has a mobile phone, key card etc and I didn't' prompt him on this discussion. It was when we went to pay for something and he suggested money as we know it dead its all a number now, we have no reason for physical money (fiat).

It really strikes me as interesting that the average Joe and he is only 40 accepts this and was really conforming to it, we have been changing for a long time to digital currency without even knowing it. I hardly ever carry FIAT with me now, II think we really are on the verge of a flick of a switch.

2 hours ago, XRPanding said:

Interesting caught up with an old mate on the weekend and went to a car show, he still doesn't have internet but has a mobile phone, key card etc and I didn't' prompt him on this discussion. It was when we went to pay for something and he suggested money as we know it dead its all a number now, we have no reason for physical money (fiat).

It really strikes me as interesting that the average Joe and he is only 40 accepts this and was really conforming to it, we have been changing for a long time to digital currency without even knowing it. I hardly ever carry FIAT with me now, II think we really are on the verge of a flick of a switch.

Your friend is unlikely to have appreciated that  digital assets come with many additional benefits that are not available on an on-line bank or on a credit card.  The two way nature of the flow of digital information creates instant knowledge about the bank balance ,receipt, receiver, mistakes, security, and super low costs.  Digital assets also carry text rich attachments and all happens at the speed of an email.

When we all had those analogue phones we had crossed calls and were physically tied to a cord we did not imagine the benefits of digital phones.   Few of us buying our first car phone realised they would morph so quickly to include additional features like different ring tones for different callers, stores and address books for the numbers of those that phoned.  Our analogue phones couldn't do texting, send pictures and videos and have gps.  In fact the whole internet thing is really a feature of digital transmission.

It is the qualitative difference between the two systems, analogue money and digital assets, that make the transition inevitable.  It is not just your friend who does not get this, I am not sure Satoshi saw it, and the big boys like the management of WU and SWIFT have completely missed it!  In recent days we have begun to comprehend that it transforms our organisation of relationships and the structure of our business models too.

Edited by Julian_Williams