Jump to content
qsdqsd

Couldn't find any 'XRP' physical coin, so I made some. Early Christmas gift

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Truckdriver said:

Great work all right well done ,  but no New Zealand on map, we're often left out but punch well above our weight,  a bit like XRP will.

Well I think people are starting to realise that New Zealand doesn't really exist, it's a mythical place invented by JRR Tolkein and all the tourists who think they've been there have actually been tricked by some very sophisticated virtual reality, you only need to look at the impossible scenery to know this to be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Trickery said:

Well I think people are starting to realise that New Zealand doesn't really exist, it's a mythical place invented by JRR Tolkein and all the tourists who think they've been there have actually been tricked by some very sophisticated virtual reality, you only need to look at the impossible scenery to know this to be true.

Less people that know the better 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, qsdqsd said:

Maybe I will get the manufacturer to make more if people want them.

Nice work, but you will probably need RLs permission to sell them, since you included their name. Maybe You can give them out for free. 

Makes me realize a question: If your coins only had XRP and the XRP logo on them, (as well as your other art) without a reference to Ripple the company, is there really a trademark infringement?

Ripple claims full separation from XRP itself, so does anyone actually own the XRP logo, or the XRP name? I say no. Same as the $ ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Valhalla_Guy said:

Nice work, but you will probably need RLs permission to sell them, since you included their name. Maybe You can give them out for free. 

Makes me realize a question: If your coins only had XRP and the XRP logo on them, (as well as your other art) without a reference to Ripple the company, is there really a trademark infringement?

Ripple claims full separation from XRP itself, so does anyone actually own the XRP logo, or the XRP name? I say no. Same as the $ ?

 

Ripple owns the trademark for "XRP"

https://trademarks.justia.com/859/35/xrp-85935696.html

 

There was a previous topic about this:

https://www.xrpchat.com/topic/27862-abandon-the-xrp-trademark/#comment-575014

 

Not sure about the logo, but they probably own the trademark for that too. If they don't, someone else does. 

I didn't want to be negative and tell the OP that these coins probably constitute trademark violations so I didn't say anything earlier.

It's tricky because I'm not sure if Ripple's trademarks extend to physical coins since they are mostly designed to just cover the financial services industry.

That would be a question for a trademark attorney. This might be the type of thing that Ripple would allow if you asked them.

People abuse and infringe on trademarks all the time, and usually it's too small of a deal for the trademark owner to care about enforcing their trademark. It costs at least tens of thousands of dollars to levy a Trademark infringement lawsuit (attorney fees). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Crypto31 said:

I didn't want to be negative and tell the OP that these coins probably constitute trademark violations so I didn't say anything earlier.

Well luckily I did. Helping when you can is hardly a negative.

To Paraphrase a wise man: “All it takes for evil to reign, is for good people to do nothing”  (sub harm for evil)

Re the Trademark:

 I agree with the fact that RL owns the logo, and the rights to it’s use. After all it was their PR that created the logo contest. I just find it ironic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Valhalla_Guy said:

Well luckily I did. Helping when you can is hardly a negative.

To Paraphrase a wise man: “All it takes for evil to reign, is for good people to do nothing”  (sub harm for evil)

Re the Trademark:

 I agree with the fact that RL owns the logo, and the rights to it’s use. After all it was their PR that created the logo contest. I just find it ironic.

Mmm yeah but not sure this will even be perceived as "help". 

Unsolicited (legal) advice isn't always accepted. In a thread of "Great job, super cool!", I just thought bringing up trademark violations would be a wet blanket and not necessary.

Also, drawing a connection to that quote about evil is more than a stretch...OP wouldn't be doing any harm, even if he sold these. 

This is more of a hobby project and I doubt Ripple would care. If anything they would probably welcome the exposure.

I'm not saying their permission shouldn't be asked for, but Trademarks are mostly designed to prevent "likelihood of confusion" among consumers. 

Since Ripple doesn't sell a similar product as these physical coins, this isn't something that would likely bother them. 

Edited by Crypto31

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...