Sign in to follow this  
coinologist

How to tell if someone is scamming you?

Hi guys, i was just wondering if someone can help? I’ve been trying new platforms and some things dont give me much assurance. What are the main ways a hacker will approach you so I can keep an eye out?

A scammer is not necessarily a hacker, nor vice versa. A scam site will likely not display verifiable information about their business (registration numbers, information about employees, business address), may present "reviews" that seem dodgy, offer a product that seems too good to be true... If you're uncertain about a particular site, try to find out as much info as you can about it, and hopefully by the end of that process you'll have a good idea if you can trust them. Ultimately there's no one method to work it out, even seemingly legitimate and well publicised businesses can be scams (Bitconnect...).

To avoid hackers, keep as much information about yourself private as possible, don't click on unverified links, protect your secret keys as much as possible (cold wallet, hardware wallet, dedicated PCs etc.). Be wary of unsolicited contact from random people on the internet. Use 2 factor authentication where possible. Be aware of your email addresses or phone numbers that could be used to reset exchange passwords if compromised and protect them.

Not an exhaustive list but hopefully helpful.

Edited by at3n

Hi,

I found these articles very helpful:
https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/cyber-security-mega-guide/#threats

Here you can find a lot of great information, like concepts, guides, developments, tools, stats and so on.

You are the weakest links when it comes to security. The hackers you see coming aren't the greatest ones. I believe you should be worried about the things you can't see approaching and start using the internet with your security as main concern. Do you have a password manager with very strong passwords? Do you share your passwords with others? Do you use VPN? Do you use your credentials on alien computers? Do you click links in mails even from family without checking that link thoroughly? Do you have old browser extensions running? Just a few questions of many more. 

I also believe it is wise to use separate computers one for your every day browsing and another clean one for financial transactions with all security layers you can think of. Including a hardware authentication device, 2-factor authentication, VPN, wired internet connection, firewall enabled, etc. etc. etc.

Edited by Ripplezzzz

4 hours ago, coinologist said:

Hi guys, i was just wondering if someone can help? I’ve been trying new platforms and some things dont give me much assurance. What are the main ways a hacker will approach you so I can keep an eye out?

My processing system can scan the entire online to see if your information has been compromised. If you can politely send me your credit card information I'll begin the research for you.

On 11/30/2018 at 10:49 AM, at3n said:

A scammer is not necessarily a hacker, nor vice versa. A scam site will likely not display verifiable information about their business (registration numbers, information about employees, business address), may present "reviews" that seem dodgy, offer a product that seems too good to be true... If you're uncertain about a particular site, try to find out as much info as you can about it, and hopefully by the end of that process you'll have a good idea if you can trust them. Ultimately there's no one method to work it out, even seemingly legitimate and well publicised businesses can be scams (Bitconnect...).

To avoid hackers, keep as much information about yourself private as possible, don't click on unverified links, protect your secret keys as much as possible (cold wallet, hardware wallet, dedicated PCs etc.). Be wary of unsolicited contact from random people on the internet. Use 2 factor authentication where possible. Be aware of your email addresses or phone numbers that could be used to reset exchange passwords if compromised and protect them.

Not an exhaustive list but hopefully helpful.

On 11/30/2018 at 11:02 AM, Ripplezzzz said:

Hi,

I found these articles very helpful:
https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/cyber-security-mega-guide/#threats

Here you can find a lot of great information, like concepts, guides, developments, tools, stats and so on.

You are the weakest links when it comes to security. The hackers you see coming aren't the greatest ones. I believe you should be worried about the things you can't see approaching and start using the internet with your security as main concern. Do you have a password manager with very strong passwords? Do you share your passwords with others? Do you use VPN? Do you use your credentials on alien computers? Do you click links in mails even from family without checking that link thoroughly? Do you have old browser extensions running? Just a few questions of many more. 

I also believe it is wise to use separate computers one for your every day browsing and another clean one for financial transactions with all security layers you can think of. Including a hardware authentication device, 2-factor authentication, VPN, wired internet connection, firewall enabled, etc. etc. etc.

Thank you both this is really helpful, its so overwhelming trying to get through everything! but this is great thanks again guys!

On 11/30/2018 at 5:32 AM, coinologist said:

Just use common sense. always question yourself before you click anything. if it sounds too good to be true, it is. most important, if you didn't ask for whatever they are offering, don't do it.

11 hours ago, MegaNerd said:

Just use common sense. always question yourself before you click anything. if it sounds too good to be true, it is. most important, if you didn't ask for whatever they are offering, don't do it.

11 hours ago, MegaNerd said:

Honestly, just use the platform and get the coins off. Don't keep them on there.

Yea that seems to be the general rule from whoever I ask, thank you!

Sign in to follow this