CoinMarketCap Korean exchanges

Cryptoking

1 hour ago, Cryptoking said:

Have anyone realised that our exchanges in Korea are not all included in the global supply of XRP?

On Yahoo market cap is 40 Billion but CoinMarketCap have XRP only at 15 Billion. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/cryptocurrencies/ 

https://coinmarketcap.com/

Yahoo is using the total supply (True Marketcap) where as Coinmarketcap.com is using what they deem as the circulating supply to calulate from.

I like Yahoo's myself :dance4:

I agree, @enrique11 (you beat me to it) Seems to me that CMC is using the correct way to value market cap of XRP. They do not include unmined BTC either. Using the circulating supply keeps the assets comparable.

The price of Gold would also drop from today’s price if the entire supply was instantly mined, and available on the market.

4 minutes ago, enrique11 said:

Using escrowed XRP in marketcap calculation when it's effectively out of circulation? If you're going to do that, then you might as well calculate BTC's potential marketcap based on the total coins including the ones that haven't been mined yet.

Was just about to post this exact point.  Bitcoin has 21million and although roughly 2.6 million  havent been mined yet, it's safe to say they will.  Cant imagine all 21mil BTC not being mined before all escrow is released.

11 minutes ago, enrique11 said:

Using escrowed XRP in marketcap calculation when it's effectively out of circulation? If you're going to do that, then you might as well calculate BTC's potential marketcap based on the total coins including the ones that haven't been mined yet.

@enrique11 and @Valhalla_Guy and @Babelly

All tokens that aren’t “circulating” (i.e. those hodling in Ledger hardware wallets, or escrow) should not be counted by that logic. Anyone hodling for the long term should not be counted in the “circulating” supply is what you’re saying. This makes no sense.

All tokens already exist on ledger, today. Not in 2140 (like Bitcoin).

Edited by TokenBaby

5 minutes ago, TokenBaby said:

All tokens that aren’t “circulating” (i.e. those hodling in Ledger hardware wallets, or escrow) should not be counted by that logic. Anyone hodling for the long term should not be counted in the “circulating” supply is what you’re saying. This makes no sense.

I agree.

I don't understand it...how can someone use full 100B XRP in circulating supply when ripple has kept the majority of XRP locked up?  That's not definition of circulating supply. Once XRP are escrowed or locked up...they are useless in terms of contributing to market activity.  Once escrowed, they essentially become as useful to XRP market activity as the 4B BTC that have been supposedly lost over the years.  These escrowed  XRP will essentially behave like lost BTC until the 1B XRP are released from escrow once more. Once released, it's like finding the private key to 1B XRP's worth of BTC in some wallet. ;P

Edited by enrique11

3 minutes ago, enrique11 said:

Once escrowed, they essentially become as useful to XRP marketcap activity as the 4B BTC that have been supposedly lost over the years.  These escrowed  XRP will essentially behave like lost BTC until the are released from escrow once more. Once released, it's like finding the private key to 1B XRP's worth of BTC in some wallet.

Did you mean 4M BTC?

2 hours ago, TokenBaby said:

'Circulating' to me means (let's use XRP as example)...

any XRP that could theoretically be used at a moment's notice to contribute to market activity whether to make payments, trade, etc. 

Escrowed, lost, and burned XRP are no longer circulating  because they cannot theoretically contribute to market activity in the moment, and not ever in the case of lost or burned XRP, the former because it exists but can't contribute in a moments notice if private keys are lost and the latter because the burnt XRP no longer exist.   As for BTC, the unmined coins cannot theoretically contribute to market activity in the moment because they don't exist yet.

I haven't ruminated over the definition of 'circulating supply', but intuitively this is what the definition means to me. 

Edited by enrique11
addtional comment

59 minutes ago, TokenBaby said:

What happens when ripple the company folds and there sitting on 52ish billion XRP? I agree all 100 billion were created and they exist. But 55billion of that circulation was taken from "exist" to "potentionally exist" given the right circumstances, i.e. sales.  Similar to how 21M BTC are possible  and 17.3m "exist" and 2.6 "potentionally exist" i.e. mining 

I havent looked into what happens with escrow if Ripple folds so forgive me if I'm incorrect. I dont want to look into this matter either