Sign in to follow this  
hallwaymonitor

XRPL Decentralization Update

Getting closer and closer to the magic 20% number.

1 hour ago, princesultan said:

This is good news. If I play devils advocate though, the fact that ripple chooses these validations, can’t one argue that’s a centralized way of doing so?

The important thing is that every node is free to make a change at any point in time. But I do think a limit on the number of validators that can be dynamically changed (for those pulling from vl.ripple.com or some other list) would be useful. Unless I've missed something, it seems Ripple could wipe out their recommended UNL and halt the network. 

2 hours ago, princesultan said:

This is good news. If I play devils advocate though, the fact that ripple chooses these validations, can’t one argue that’s a centralized way of doing so?

Yes. The selection process is done by one entity. That doesn't mean it will result in a centralized network or corrupt consensus though. 

It is similar to if I chose dozens of people I know from around the world to determine what I eat for my next meal. I chose them because I trust them not to select something poisonous but their decision is their own. The credibility of their consensus is not determined by their affiliation to me but rather their lack of affiliation to each other. 

Edited by LordVetinari

3 hours ago, fidgetspinner said:

Hi all,

In the interest of full disclosure to everyone here, I'm coming out :D . I'm one of the new validators on the UNL - alloy.ee . That makes at least 2 or 3 xrpchat members on the list. More power to us!

Great stuff mate congratulations and thank you to you and the other members in here running validators. Fantastic support to the XRP Community. 

7 hours ago, nikb said:

I supported having alloy.ee on the default UNL, despite their “short” track record bevause:

- Their business revolves around providing hardened hosting services; that experience bodes well for a validator operator.

- They have more than one data center and high redundancy & reliability setups.

- They chose not only to run a validator but to publicly commit to continue doing so for the long term.

- They add important geographic diversity (Finland and Germany).

- They are members of the community; I’m not going to name-call them here—they can introduce themselves if they desire.

Maybe you disagree with the decision to add them. That’s fine. The important fact, which shouldn’t be lost one anyone, is that the XRP Ledger has a robust and diverse validator ecosystem.

I have no problem with this & think it's a good thing for all the reasons you've listed. Good work folks

Sign in to follow this