Masterplan or burning a candle and pray

Caracappa

16 minutes ago, Caracappa said:

Instantly lifting the price to $20 will make tens of thousands of hodlers cash out a significant part of their stash. Meaning that FI's are paying hundreds of billions to us cashing out.

I don't see a way that could work... unfortunately. 

Every seller needs a buyer remember

It probably won't just be selling pressure at that level. With XRP shooting up in value there would probably be new money coming in to.
Plus, with them announcing this the run up wouldn't be instant. In the month I gave as an example, the price would already be rising.
Perhaps it will be a longer period to make sure it's more organic to keep XRP more liquid?

Market makers play a very important role in the network. They also can design algorithms to provide the liquidity when demanded.
I see your point, though I think it might work out..

Edited by 30k1m

2 minutes ago, 30k1m said:

It probably won't just be selling pressure at that level. With XRP shooting up in value there would probably be new money coming in to.
Plus, with them announcing this the run up wouldn't be instant. In the month I gave as an example, the price would already be rising.
Perhaps it will be a longer period to make sure it's more organic to keep XRP more liquid?

Market makers play a very important role in the network. They also can design algorithms to provide the liquidity when demanded.
I see your point, though I think it might work out..

Agreed, a 'slow' and organic push in the right direction could work creating fomo and let investors and FI's work together. But instantly deciding the price will be 20 I don't think so

1 hour ago, Caracappa said:

In the same line of thought as a different thread which I don't want to hijack, I've been wondering this recently.

I can't imagine Ripple leadership just leans back and relaxes while watching XRP price do it's thing.

• Do you believe the executives have a plan, besides creating use case ofcourse, to make sure XRP doesn't get dragged to death? Do they have some sort of fail safe built to ensure survival they can unlock when needed? 
  • Do you think Ripple executives have a plan running to make sure liquidity in XRP ecosystem will rise, instead of hope that it does by the grace of this manipulated market? With all the smart and strategic people in the company I cannot imagine they let the future of the company run it's course all by itself...

Is all calculated carefully in the background, impossible to track back to Ripple the company to avoid the security issue, and will it come to it's unforeseen climax like a season of House of Cards? Or do they just sit back, relax and hope for the best for the XRP ecosystem because all they can do is create usecase and hope it's used? I hope it's the first which is a calming thought.

Nobody knows...

This is a virgin market, to discover ... the steps that are taking will mark the way. The steps that others gave in different markets, are not applicable to the crypto ... the facts are confirming it.

In a few years surely all this "process" will be studied in universities. We have found land and we have just entered the jungle, we still have to discover the whole continent ...

1 hour ago, Caracappa said:

Thats exactly what I'm having trouble with answering. 

When are they manipulating, when are they building? It's such a thin line, because their actions always 'manipulate' the price, good or bad.

Quite the moral dilemma.

Try this. I assume you hold xrp. And one of the reasons you bought xrp is because it is currently undervalued. And one of the biggest players involved in xrp is Ripple. 

So, which of the following describes you... 

A. I bought xrp because I believed Ripple would build a system which xrp would thrive and I would benefit. 

B. I bought xrp because I believed Ripple would manipulate the price in my favor. 

Now, I ask you, why would you buy an asset so intertwined with Ripple? 

2 minutes ago, LordVetinari said:

Quite the moral dilemma.

Try this. I assume you hold xrp. And one of the reasons you bought xrp is because it is currently undervalued. And one of the biggest players involved in xrp is Ripple. 

So, which of the following describes you... 

A. I bought xrp because I believed Ripple would build a system which xrp would thrive and I would benefit. 

B. I bought xrp because I believed Ripple would manipulate the price in my favor. 

Now, I ask you, why would you buy an asset so intertwined with Ripple? 

I bought XRP because I believe a visionary company as Ripple (and Coil, W3C, R3, Temenos, Wietse Wind and many other partners) contributes to the growing ecosystem of XRP by creating use case which in turn could create demand for XRP and ofcourse will benefit me financially eventually as it still being an investment.

I however also realise competition is not sitting still and there is a timeframe in which this plan has to succeed. Just sticking to remittance companies because volume and liquidity is to low for the big numbers can not be the endgoal and could mean the end of that ecosystem. They are heavily dependent on the succes of XRP to ensure succes for Ripple the company. So not manipulating price for my benefit persé (although would appreciate, thnx Ripple!), but for everyone and theirselves if usecase stays away because chicken/egg problem.

3 hours ago, Caracappa said:

In the same line of thought as a different thread which I don't want to hijack, I've been wondering this recently.

I can't imagine Ripple leadership just leans back and relaxes while watching XRP price do it's thing.

• Do you believe the executives have a plan, besides creating use case ofcourse, to make sure XRP doesn't get dragged to death? Do they have some sort of fail safe built to ensure survival they can unlock when needed? 
  • Do you think Ripple executives have a plan running to make sure liquidity in XRP ecosystem will rise, instead of hope that it does by the grace of this manipulated market? With all the smart and strategic people in the company I cannot imagine they let the future of the company run it's course all by itself...

Is all calculated carefully in the background, impossible to track back to Ripple the company to avoid the security issue, and will it come to it's unforeseen climax like a season of House of Cards? Or do they just sit back, relax and hope for the best for the XRP ecosystem because all they can do is create usecase and hope it's used? I hope it's the first which is a calming thought.

I've often thought the same.

I also question how the decision was made to "create" 100 billion XRP and not some other number? Why not 23 billion or 36,000 or some other random figure?

Is it possible many years ago someone has done an incredibly rough calculation based on use cases  / size of market they're targeting, the price that XRP would need to be to facilitate that market, and then rounded up and got 100 billion?

As David Schwartz has said previously, XRP needs to increase in value to be useful. Shifting $1M currently needs a lot of XRP. 

All of which leads me back to thinking that it's all well and good signing up banks and money transfer companies etc. but if XRP doesn't increase in value it won't work. And I suspect Ripple knows that, and has a plan which would lead to it increasing in value.

@Caracappa 

56 minutes ago, Caracappa said:

Just sticking to remittance companies because volume and liquidity is to low for the big numbers can not be the endgoal and could mean the end of that ecosystem.

I don't know how long you've been into xrp or your expectations, but regardless I'll point out 2 things related only to Ripple's part in all of this, Brad's Peanut Butter Manifesto and just over 1 year ago Brad stated, give it 3-5 years.

Everything else is noise or entertainment. The partnerships, the retail market, the social media and even this forum. It's all noise or entertainment and sometimes I just have to block it out. 

I dug real deep and came to a conclusion I can live with and I sleep well at night. Even if it all falls apart, I will sleep well. 

I truly hope you can find peace in your decision. If you can't, I urge you to reconsider how much you are willing to risk, financially, emotionally, and personally. 

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, LordVetinari said:

@Caracappa 

I don't know how long you've been into xrp or your expectations, but regardless I'll point out 2 things related only to Ripple's part in all of this, Brad's Peanut Butter Manifesto and just over 1 year ago Brad stated, give it 3-5 years.

Everything else is noise or entertainment. The partnerships, the retail market, the social media and even this forum. It's all noise or entertainment and sometimes I just have to block it out. 

I dug real deep and came to a conclusion I can live with and I sleep well at night. Even if it all falls apart, I will sleep well. 

Thnx LordV, don't worry, I'm sleeping fine too. Done my first (small) buy in march 2017 just before the april run up. Following Ripple and xrp news, heard of the internal yahoo manifesto, aware of the 3-5 years quote and until now Ripple delivers what they aim to do (and no, we're absolutely not entitled to anything)

What I meant with it is that it does not stay 3-5 years. By now that quote is reduced to 2-4 years.

There simply is a certain timeframe in where this has to succeed, or otherwise... Until now? They're doing great.

It's replies such as yours and more of the above why I ask questions that I wonder about. Some answer my view, others contradict it, which help me in getting it as wide as my limited view can get.

8 hours ago, Caracappa said:

Or do they just sit back, relax and hope for the best for the XRP ecosystem because all they can do is create usecase and hope it's used? I hope it's the first which is a calming thought.

If by sit back, relax and hope you mean fly around the globe like their pants are on fire educating governments, central banks and the largest financial institutions on earth about the virtues of the IOV which they have 80% built IMO.  The tech team is growing and crushing milestones but its not 100% done yet.  While XRP is really quick I do think Cobalt and executing those native payment channels flawlessly is necessary to address the scalability needs of the future.  It's coming though and David Schwartz is on it!  This is an organization that thoughtfully plans for the future and has the brightest minds in the world either directly working for them, on the board or advising them.  I'd say the closest they have come to what you are wondering is hiring a lobbying firm in Washington to "educate" the powers that be about why XRP isn't a security.  I was surprised they didn't do this sooner and it was mentioned that they were late to the game in response to the Bitcoin maximalists poo-pooing XRP via the same lobbying channels.  That being said, I do think it's naive to think they aren't involved in "pay to play" politics and I rest easy and confident they will navigate those gray waters flawlessly.  I do not think Ripple or any of their entities have any "switch" to take things to some predetermined number.  But boy would I love to be wrong! 

"Nobody wants to be first, but everybody wants to be second!" Somebody said that and it is so true regarding Ripple!

Ripple are first and there is no exact manual... but the price when they succeed will be unimaginable. People like David Schwartz, Brad Garlinghouse, Chris Larsen and other people in Ripple and around the XRP ecosystem will go down in history.

100s of people at Ripple work FULL TIME giving their best to make sure everything goes according to plan and if something goes wrong or not as intended they are very quick to adjust and get back on course even stronger. They are also hiring people all the time (Currently 50+ job openings) regardless if it is bull or bear market.

They have offices all over the world in constant contact with goverments FIs, FED, ECB, IMF and regulators.

Basically Ripple is building this whole new game from the ground up and IMO Ripple is the biggest contributor for the advancement of Crypto as a whole.

Now about XRP

Competition? Non Existent currently!

Bitcoin, despite being slow and unscalable until recently was perceved strongly and as the leader of crypto, but currently with the stupid hash wars credibility is almost lost.

Ethereum also slower with all the uncertainty around the ICOs, the scalability issues, etc is also not competitive at the moment and for the foreseeable future.

If you look top 10 on CMC what else is there? Stellar? Litecoin? BCH? Come on...

XRP is the fastest, cheapest (transactions), most secure (never hacked) and scaleble asset out there. On the way to be also the most liquid asset. There is no competition for the use cases intended for XRP.

All the incredibly smart people behind Ripple, Coil, the people developing Codius, Interledger Protocol are working towards a single goal of creating the base line of the Internet of Value and XRP will be used as a main asset.

There is so much more to mention, but just imagine what is happening behind the scenes, which we still dont know!

Personally I am very confident that the people working towards the success of XRP directly or indirectly are doing the right things at the right time with the right people to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible.

The OPs question is "Masterplan or burning a candle and pray" 

I see it as a "Which seat should I choose and salted or sweetened popcorn?" :D

CaptainG