Excellent read, thanks!

In the first paragraph, you pose a question: The only question for me is why it took this long for the market to wake up to the self-indulgent, shrill cries of those seeking to play a protectionist role for outmoded technology.

I've been thinking about this myself, but I can't really come up with a solid answer. What would be your best guess @Hodor

Thank You Hodor:  Over the last two decades I have followed three blogs.  Two were political and the third (and very recent interest) is this one.  In every case I was joining a community that was stating the blindingly obvious.  The blindingly obvious point understood by the XRP community is that Satoshi's PoW model puts the brakes on speed and scalability.  This blindingly obvious point was absorbed by Chris Larsen's Ripple team as far back as 2013.  It is a fact that few in the crypto community could absorb for five years.  Opposing the Satoshi PoW model was elevated to the status of heresy and as a consequence the crypto community has travelled in the wrong direction in unison.  

There is a quote by Max Planck : "A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

The Bitcoin Maximalists will go down with their ship because they are unable to change their fundamental views.  Their pedantry is not unusual, in fact it is the way 95% of the human population behave.  Changing deeply held opinions/beliefs is extremely hard for humans and most of us will not face doing it.

In two decades of blogging I have never been on a winning side.  I have seen the intransigence the XRP community are meeting now on a far bigger scale.  I can tell you the change in attitude we are witnessing in the crypto community is extremely hard to achieve, but yes it is happening.  I think it is happening because people in the Bitcoin community are seeing their money drain down a plughole, whilst with politics there is no financial penalty for holding and imposing wacky or eccentric views on others.

It is also happening because the institutions are not coming to crypto with deeply held beliefs.

Edited by Julian_Williams
58 minutes ago, PactaSuntServanda said:

What would be your best guess @Hodor

I think it's a combination of two things:  Some of the initial Bitcoin investors had no moral issues with using their 'stash' to spread misinformation about any potential rivals to Bitcoin.  This is a well-known fact to those of us that have been here a long time, but new XRP fans are sometimes shocked that it's not 'just paranoia':

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145506.msg1544079#msg1544079

This is protectionism at its worst. 

Also, there are quite a few miners (crypto miners) that make their living off of mining rewards, so they don't want the market to turn away from POW, no matter the impact on the environment.  This is the pitfall of using financial incentives for validation. 

Those are the main factors IMO - all can be tied back to money. 

39 minutes ago, Julian_Williams said:

It is also happening because the institutions are not coming to crypto with deeply held beliefs.

Agreed once agiain! 

This last comment made me think of Brad Garlinghouse's (and Cory Johnson's) comment decrying 'religious zealotry' of those that seek to protect Bitcoin. It's actually a big turn-off for big business. 

Love that Max Planck quote, but I hope it doesn't take that long for crypto! 

Edited by Hodor
3 hours ago, Julian_Williams said:

There is a quote by Max Planck : "A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

This type of ideology influenced others that one group should be put to death by the state because of their wrong think and the younger generation should be taught by the surviving generation of that state how to right think. It's odd that you not only chose this quote but shoehorned it into this discussion. Hmm. 

No, sir, I want ideas in the cryptosphere by the many, not one chosen by you or any other group. Bitcoin was something that was a game changer and others are building upon that success by finding use cases to better the world we live in. Some will in time be ideas that fail and others will rise to the top. Let the laboratory of experimentation take root and not wish for others to die.

3 hours ago, TheXRPer said:

This type of ideology influenced others that one group should be put to death by the state because of their wrong think and the younger generation should be taught by the surviving generation of that state how to right think. It's odd that you not only chose this quote but shoehorned it into this discussion. Hmm. 

No, sir, I want ideas in the cryptosphere by the many, not one chosen by you or any other group. Bitcoin was something that was a game changer and others are building upon that success by finding use cases to better the world we live in. Some will in time be ideas that fail and others will rise to the top. Let the laboratory of experimentation take root and not wish for others to die.

I think you should either take down or apologise for what you have just written. It is a complete misrepresentation and reversal of everything Max Planck said and stood for.  Max Planck was one of the greatest pioneering free thinkers of the 20th century who worked with Einstein and other great physicist.  He openly opposed and criticised Hitler's treatment of the Jews from inside Germany.   His work also inspired a reappraisal of Autism and the mis-treatment of people that are different from the supposed norm (Eugenics).

Regarding Bitcoin maximalists, a community you obviously hold in high regard, I completely disagree with your assessment.  Nobody denies Satoshi who had great ideals, but it is also clear that he does not share the idiot philosophy of the Bitcoin community you defend either.   For instance he is on record as saying "Ripple is interesting in that it's the only other system that does something with trust besides concentrate it into a central server." - Satoshi Nakamoto Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 10:44 PM   

It is a sad fact that the Bitcoin community, and Satoshi's admirable first intentions, have become populated by a very nasty creed of Bitcoin Maximalists who have misled and fleeced the crypto community.  Take the example of the views of Dr Craig Wright who has so much centralised power over Bitcoin that he can crash the price of everyone's investment with his personalised hash war..  He recently tweeted " XRP is the biggest scam in the space. I look forward to when this sham offer is revoked. This idea of issuing non-registered securities and selling to noobs who want to get rich without working is nothing new and neither will be the take-down"  Is that the sort of tolerance you condone? 

Edited by Julian_Williams

Another amazing piece @Hodor- I'm going to have to go back and read again, and savor. Such a lot of information you have aggregated and as always, phrased it just right! 

I feel that coming very soon is the tipping point for usage/utility and a great wake-up call to those unfamiliar with the wave of innovation that is sweeping the financial arena.

I really like these quotes from your blog post:

"And no matter which company, team, bank, or individual is building on XRP, it is that central, core strength that is its value proposition for the market;  it was specifically created for - and continues to be updated to be the strongest in - handling payments.   Whether using its streaming capabilities to scale up to global transaction levels for micropayments, or handling settlement via its bridging features, XRP is poised to enhance global liquidity by bringing the cost of cross-border payments to their lowest level in history."

"At one point, Navin Gupta is asked "What is so special about Ripple, when you compare it to SWIFT?"   Here is part of his answer:

"Most of the time, your experience (in using SWIFT) ranges from 'terrible' to 'just okay.'

"Ripple wants to transform that experience ...  

Why do we love 'WhatsApp?'  ...at any given point, you know where your information is ...  that's exactly the first thing that we bring to banking;  that is, even before there's a debit that happens to your account, we send the information to say 'here's the name;  here's the account number;  what is the FX rate for this transaction;  what will be the fee that will be charged to this transaction;  and can you complete all your AML checks;  and this all happens even before a debit happens to your account ...  

This is the bi-directional messaging just like WhatsApp - but between the two banks."

This nuts-and-bolts explanation is a good way to introduce newcomers to the shocking limitations of SWIFT, and how Ripple plans to transfer value as fast as a text message.  It was a spot-on analogy that gets to the heart of what Ripple's value proposition is for banks."  

Edited by GiddyUp
clarification-quotes

You da man Hodor ! :clapping:, another great blog to add to rumbling around the world about Ripple. The masses will say ,wow where did that come from ,didnt see that coming, we will be high on the wave utility and adoption.  Oh **** im getting too deep like some other posts :P I'll cool my jets remain humble. Thanks Hodor

On 11/24/2018 at 11:35 PM, PactaSuntServanda said:

In the first paragraph, you pose a question: The only question for me is why it took this long for the market to wake up to the self-indulgent, shrill cries of those seeking to play a protectionist role for outmoded technology.

I've been thinking about this myself, but I can't really come up with a solid answer. What would be your best guess @Hodor

The bitcoin mafia ( coinbase, Bitmex, Gemini etc ) have used their initial lead to build the exchanges 
which are the main fiat gateway. This is where the majority of the btc liquidity comes from.