TokenBaby

The Great Market Capitalization Hoax

I agree with CMC on this...even though you are also right...here's why..

This is a new paradigm...if we were talking about a company we'd say Authorized Shares vs Outstanding Shares....Outstanding being the ones already in the market and available to trade...Authorized is the maximum a company is allowed to "print" and add to the Outstanding...

Since XRP is not a security and Ripple did not issue shares how to calculate market cap...by using Circulating supply...

Same goes to all mining coins that have a maximum but have not reach it for example Bitcoin's market cap is 17 384 200 BTC * (today's price) and not 21 000 000 BTC...

So...you either choose one or the other...since CMC has chosen to calculate on Circulating Supply I agree that it's fare to everyone even though you have to think different...

Edited by Malloy

1 minute ago, Malloy said:

I agree on CMC on this...even though you are also right...here's why..

This is a new paradigm...if we were talking about a company we'd say Authorized Shares vs Outstanding Shares....Outstanding being the ones already in the market and available to trade...Authorized is the maximum a company is allowed to "print" and add to the Outstanding...

Since XRP is not a security and Ripple did not issue shares how to calculate market cap...by using Circulating supply...

Same goes to all mining coins that have a maximum but have not reach it for example Bitcoin's market cap is 17 384 200 BTC * (today's price) and not 21 000 000 BTC...

So...you either choose one or the other...since CMC has chosen to calculate on Circulating Supply I agree that it's fare to everyone even though you have to think different...

I hear you. But in your words, they have already been "printed." They already exist.

The difference with BTC is the mining. There are only ~17M today. The other ~4M don't exist. 

1 minute ago, TokenBaby said:

I hear you. But in your words, they have already been "printed." They already exist.

The difference with BTC is the mining. There are only ~17M today. The other ~4M don't exist. 

Yes and no...they are locked and not released on the market...you really have to think different...it's like saying mining is just like a locked coin in time

10 minutes ago, Malloy said:

Yes and no...they are locked and not released on the market...you really have to think different...it's like saying mining is just like a locked coin in time

It's essentially hodling with an expiration date. Based on this logic, are XRP that are held in a wallet also 'not released on the market' ? 

What about the 1B released from escrow each month? Does CoinMarketCap adjust for this? No, they do not.

5 minutes ago, TokenBaby said:

It's essentially hodling with an expiration date. Based on this logic, are XRP that are held in a wallet also 'not released on the market' ? 

What about the 1B released from escrow each month? Does CoinMarketCap adjust for this? No, they do not.

I believe you have to not calculate the Billions in escrow as long as they are not released in the market...but anyone that wants to calculate all XRP available should do the same with all coins with their Max Mining algo...CMC just didn't want to do this and I'm ok with it...some other website could do it the other way (for all coins) and that would be ok also...

Just now, Malloy said:

I believe you have to not calculate the Billions in escrow as long as they are not released in the market...but anyone that wants to calculate all XRP available should do the same with all coins with their Max Mining algo...CMC just didn't want to do this and I'm ok with it...some other website could do it the other way (for all coins) and that would be ok also...

Mining and "pre-mine" are different. I'd agree that for all "pre-mined" assets it would make sense.

Nonetheless, https://xrpcharts.ripple.com has it right.

4 minutes ago, Malloy said:

Not talking premine...we already now that BTC will have 21M coins in circulation "eventually"...same goes with XRP "eventually"

Clearly you do not understand my point. One exists now, today (XRP), and one doesn't (BTC).

There is no "eventually" for XRP!! It's already here today. This is my last reply. 

11 minutes ago, TokenBaby said:

Clearly you do not understand my point. One exists now, today (XRP), and one doesn't (BTC).

There is no "eventually" for XRP!! It's already here today. This is my last reply. 

I understand you...I even mentioned that your pov is right (if you choose this pov)...but I and pretty much every web site in the world have decided that the best approach with crypto was to use "Circulating Supply"...so either you don't understand my/our pov or you choose not...

Because you think some way doesn't mean everyone has to think your way and that doesn't also mean the way CMC and als chose is a hoax...

1 hour ago, Malloy said:

I agree on CMC on this...even though you are also right...here's why..

"Circulating supply" is nearly impossible to measure, though. You're trying to measure possible intent, rather than what actually exists. Even the escrow should be taken into account when people are considering purchasing XRP as they ARE and WILL be in play, as opposed to suggesting that they may or may not be based on terms you're unaware of. What about un-escrowed XRP that's effectively lost due to secret key being lost? We can't really account for that? 

I think it's more consistent, although imperfect, to consider the total supply