What is the longest you are willing to HODL?

There is definitely a stack that I would like to hold on to "forever"(5-10 years). Who knows what will be what by then. Will I wake up 10 years from now with a $10,000/XRP? Perhaps. Will 10,000 XRP be worth $100,000,000 then? Perhaps. Who the f knows, but I sure don't want to be the 10,000 BTC pizza buying guy! lol

2 hours ago, EthanHunt said:

Interesting. If you don’t mind me asking, did you sell some of your holdings last time price went over $2?

No, I wish I did though! I DID sell about 5% of my holdings at $2.50+, but 95% of my holdings around $1 in late January in an unplanned panic sell.  This time around I'm a lot more relaxed. 

1 hour ago, Trendkill said:

If I remember his story correctly he had been an earlier hodler and sold somewhere around the ATH then bought back in after the crash. Hence the username.

I wish, I wish.  I did sell, but a lot lower down (see previous post) - still made a profit and so I'm a lot more relaxed about my investment...I'm relatively new to investing and am usually highly risk averse. I think I lucked out in making a profit that's taken risk-of-loss off the table for me. I'm still buying XRP and will probably stop when it passes my DCA price (which is 69c at the moment).

I'm willing to sell up to 80% of my hodlings once it allows me to retire modestly. I'd like to say I'd hodl the rest for a very long time. Maybe a few tiered sell offs to further upgrade quality of life if I deem it a good idea at the time.

I estimate that I can retire in 7 years (FI community member you could say) so if the price doesn't do anything crazy by then, maybe I'd sell a good chunk in 5 years to cut off a couple working years. That's a long time off though.

Edited by mrhat75

Selling is easier said than done. A friend of mine bought BTC a couple of years ago. At the peak, he could have sold out with a comfortable retirement in place. Instead, he cashed out about $1m and spent it. He put a big chunk of cash down as a deposit off plan on a penthouse in Bangkok amongst other things thinking he would be able to cash in the rest of his BTC later. 

Well, the developer now wants another $800k and he doesn't have it. He stands to lose his deposit and is considering going back to work!

Moral of the story is this - set your target for getting out and don't get too greedy. Don't be my mate.