Still1

XRP Ledger developer and Coil CTO reveals why he left Ripple

https://ambcrypto.com/xrp-ledger-developer-and-coil-cto-reveals-why-he-left-ripple/

“I think they’re [Ripple] very focused on use cases around the digital asset XRP as well as enterprise use cases. So making payments more efficient for banks, payment service providers, their customers, corporates and so on.”

And so if you think about Ledger, we talked earlier what are the things that Inter Ledger is best at. If you think of it as a thing that enables like a new class of use cases – kind of how the Internet enabled a new class of communication use cases – it’s unlikely that large corporations are going to necessarily be the very first to adopt that.

Likely the same people who are adopting crypto currency for payments today will be the first to adopt Interledger in earnest.

Although the truth is that banks and forex payment providers working with Ripple Inc indeed employ a proto form of Interledger Protocol by using the XRP Ledger for cross-border, cross-currency transfers.

8 minutes ago, stevenzeiler said:

using the XRP Ledger for cross-border, cross-currency transfers

That's only the tiny minority that uses xRapid, most of them use xCurrent, which is basically Interledger.

38 minutes ago, stevenzeiler said:

Right, though xCurrent still uses the XRP ledger to transact even though XRP is not the intermediary currency.

I very much doubt this, do you have sources about that? AFAIK xCurrent is ILP in atomic mode. No interaction with XRPL required or necessary.

5 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

I very much doubt this, do you have sources about that? AFAIK xCurrent is ILP in atomic mode. No interaction with XRPL required or necessary.

Multihop?

If the customers who use xCurrent simply get an option with different prices and times for settlement without knowing what is going on on the network side of things, they will probably choose the quickest an cheapest right? The paper on xCurrent 4.0 states that it utilizes xRapid seamlessly for sourcing liquidity. The exchanges are also nodes.

bilde.png.381f83420972e92d7b2e99efcb957215.png

Edited by mandelbaum

2 hours ago, stevenzeiler said:

Likely the same people who are adopting crypto currency for payments today will be the first to adopt Interledger in earnest.

Although the truth is that banks and forex payment providers working with Ripple Inc indeed employ a proto form of Interledger Protocol by using the XRP Ledger for cross-border, cross-currency transfers.

Good to have you Steven!!

2 hours ago, stevenzeiler said:

Right, though xCurrent still uses the XRP ledger to transact even though XRP is not the intermediary currency.

I don't know if that's currently true, but it should be in the future with product integration (Xvia, Xcurrent, and Xrapid) since Xrapid has this functionality.

Ok, read subsequent posts - Xcurrent v 4.0 has this functionality.

Edited by enrique11

15 hours ago, xrpdamian said:

Multihop?

Nope, that's BankA --> BankB --> BankC as far as I undersood it.

14 hours ago, enrique11 said:

Ok, read subsequent posts - Xcurrent v 4.0 has this functionality.

I'd assume that xCurrent 4.0 users can more easily interoperate with xRapid, not use it as a transaction step.