Jump to content

the network is down ?


Recommended Posts

This discussion involves semantics but as far as I know there were not any transactions between the ledgers 42963328-42964344. This was caused by technical malfunction or bug which Nik and David have tried to explain and it's beyond my comprehension. Nevertheless, XRP Ledger didn't technically stop because it was still "moving". This is because XRP ledgers were still produced normally and the ledger close times were normal as well. However, I would still describe this incident as "halt" because there were no transactions between the ledgers 42963328-42964344. These ledgers were empty. About 52 minutes no transactions. That's a long time to wait that your transaction goes through.

 

You can see the affected ledgers during that time from here:

https://pastebin.com/Qsjij897

 

You can monitor the contents of the first ledger here. If you change the ledger number a little bit lower, then you can see that there were several ledgers empty here and there even before the ledger 42963328. The same thing happened if you observe the ledgers a little bit after the ledger 42964344. My understanding is that normally it is unlikely to have empty ledger because the OFFER transactions appear almost every ledger.

https://xrpscan.com/ledger/42963328

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The data that Galgitron is showing would not represent the issue: he's post-processing ledgers based on the close_time field. Here are the facts: sometime around midnight (UTC time!) on 2018-11-1

Nothing casts more doubt that uncertainty and secrets. We all benefit when issues are discussed, analyzed and understood because the net result is a better, stronger network.

Good question. I wish I had a better answer for you, but it boils down to this: The company was using JIRA for everything else, and management wanted to be able to monitor the work we were doing

Posted Images

1 hour ago, hallwaymonitor said:

This discussion involves semantics but as far as I know there were not any transactions between the ledgers 42963328-42964344. This was caused by technical malfunction or bug which Nik and David have tried to explain and it's beyond my comprehension. Nevertheless, XRP Ledger didn't technically stop because it was still "moving". This is because XRP ledgers were still produced normally and the ledger close times were normal as well. However, I would still describe this incident as "halt" because there were no transactions between the ledgers 42963328-42964344. These ledgers were empty. About 52 minutes no transactions. That's a long time to wait that your transaction goes through.

 

You can see the affected ledgers during that time from here:

https://pastebin.com/Qsjij897

 

You can monitor the contents of the first ledger here. If you change the ledger number a little bit lower, then you can see that there were several ledgers empty here and there even before the ledger 42963328. The same thing happened if you observe the ledgers a little bit after the ledger 42964344. My understanding is that normally it is unlikely to have empty ledger because the OFFER transactions appear almost every ledger.

https://xrpscan.com/ledger/42963328

The ledger numbers were the important bit of information needed to verify the situation. In the interests of Ripple being open, I don't know why it took them so long to release the info, knowing that the cat was out of the bag. There was a protracted and heated discussion on twitter about this. JK  put out the info but I guess he got it from N Bougalis - I'm also guessing that Nik may have felt it more appropriate to come from JK. Is it better to have this in the open now? - I think that it is, as in the future someone with genuine or malicious intent, would have got to it and put it out any way. A "halt" is a massive issue and hopefully this one has been resolved and put to bed. I wonder if Mr McCaleb would have been so open

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mistatee2000 said:

The ledger numbers were the important bit of information needed to verify the situation. In the interests of Ripple being open, I don't know why it took them so long to release the info, knowing that the cat was out of the bag. There was a protracted and heated discussion on twitter about this. JK  put out the info but I guess he got it from N Bougalis - I'm also guessing that Nik may have felt it more appropriate to come from JK. Is it better to have this in the open now? - I think that it is, as in the future someone with genuine or malicious intent, would have got to it and put it out any way. A "halt" is a massive issue and hopefully this one has been resolved and put to bed. I wonder if Mr McCaleb would have been so open

maybe because Ripple does not own the public ledger and do not need to provide a network report?

 

if more individuals were actually actively interested on how the ledger works, likely this would have come out earlier because more interest was shown now. But most of us were more concerned on how to discredit and bash those you were pointing it out at the time, like putting it below the rug would make the issue disappear.

 

just a thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, buh said:

maybe because Ripple does not own the public ledger and do not need to provide a network report?

 

if more individuals were actually actively interested on how the ledger works, likely this would have come out earlier because more interest was shown now. But most of us were more concerned on how to discredit and bash those you were pointing it out at the time, like putting it below the rug would make the issue disappear.

 

just a thought.

I do accept what you say to a certain point, however, if every driver needed to know how the internal combustion engine works on a car, then there wouldn't be many cars on the road. Most people have to make do with concepts, especially when investing in something like Tesla for example (I know, electric vehicles), or more relevant, cryptocurrency assets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mistatee2000 said:

I do accept what you say to a certain point, however, if every driver needed to know how the internal combustion engine works on a car, then there wouldn't be many cars on the road. Most people have to make do with concepts, especially when investing in something like Tesla for example (I know, electric vehicles), or more relevant, cryptocurrency assets.

Its a fair point that every car driver need not know about IC engines - but at the same time enough independent car mechanics must know about engines so one can get it fixed anywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2020 at 2:01 AM, hallwaymonitor said:

About 52 minutes no transactions. That's a long time to wait that your transaction goes through.

On the one hand, you're right. The XRP Ledger should not have that kind of delay to confirm transactions unless things are very wrong.

On the other hand, that's a normal confirmation time for Bitcoin. And, it's kind of apples-and-oranges, but ACH's wait-until-after-the-weekend confirmation times are not even in the same fruit stand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2020 at 6:55 PM, mistatee2000 said:

I do accept what you say to a certain point, however, if every driver needed to know how the internal combustion engine works on a car, then there wouldn't be many cars on the road. Most people have to make do with concepts, especially when investing in something like Tesla for example (I know, electric vehicles), or more relevant, cryptocurrency assets.

Every car driver should know how to drive rather than lock their car in a garage hoping to sell it at a future date

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.