The Real reason CoinBase hasn't listed XRP

slinuxuzer

17 minutes ago, Tyrell said:

I don't immediately discount any option.

Except the one that says they are protecting their BTC lol, you don't know anything for sure except that I am wrong? You have a color of an argument, but I'm not sold, I come here to stress test theories, so I want to hear the dissenting point of view, but right now you don't have one, other than I am wrong. Thanks for your input though, seriously.

24 minutes ago, slinuxuzer said:

Except the one that says they are protecting their BTC lol, you don't know anything for sure except that I am wrong? You have a color of an argument, but I'm not sold, I come here to stress test theories, so I want to hear the dissenting point of view, but right now you don't have one, other than I am wrong. Thanks for your input though, seriously.

I offered counter-arguments to them 'protecting their BTC'.  That was the entirety of the point I made.  So, whatever.

2 hours ago, Tyrell said:

Um, Yeah, except that Coinbase lists ETH and LTC, both of which can serve as a bridge currency in just the same way.  Granted that Coinbase has BTC set as the first thing you see, that would not change with XRP adoption.  And ETH and LTC are dramatically faster than BTC, which is why anyone with more than a passing interest has already use them instead of BTC to transfer to other exchanges.

So, as much as I want to agree with you, I don't agree with you.

Except LTC and ETH arent poised to be adopted within the global banking industry and XRP is. 

Apples and oranges. 

Just now, Palerider said:

Except LTC and ETH arent poised to be adopted within the global banking industry and XRP is. 

Apples and oranges. 

Correct, but that was not the context of the argument, which concerned XRP adoption by Coinbase based on its speed and frugality for exchange transfers.  It is undeniable that XRP is one of if not the fastest options and it is pretty clearly the cheapest -- for the banking industry and for moving assets from one exchange to another.

When it comes to discussing XRP as the global banking choice it simply makes Coinbase look more idiotic.  Unless you meant that Coinbase wants to avoid XRP because they hate banks.  Which also makes them look like idiots as far as I can tell.

2 minutes ago, Tyrell said:

Correct, but that was not the context of the argument, which concerned XRP adoption by Coinbase based on its speed and frugality for exchange transfers.  It is undeniable that XRP is one of if not the fastest options and it is pretty clearly the cheapest -- for the banking industry and for moving assets from one exchange to another.

When it comes to discussing XRP as the global banking choice it simply makes Coinbase look more idiotic.  Unless you meant that Coinbase wants to avoid XRP because they hate banks.  Which also makes them look like idiots as far as I can tell.

Coinbase are idiots. We agree. 

To be honest it really doesn’t matter why Coinbase is not adding xrp. We all know it’s “self interestest” based. 

4 hours ago, slinuxuzer said:

BTC's biggest use case is to be a bridge between crypto currency exchanges

This is the only valid basis I can think of for giving BTC any utility value.

As far as Coinbase, they are ramping up institutional custody services. The institutional guys will want to be able to hold some XRP. They may not want multiple custodians; unless they see using multi custodians as a risk mitigation tactic.

At any rate, they have captured first mover advantage in the crypto exchange industry. That has earned them a shot at competing aginst ICE, Fidelity, and other big boys who know how to execute.

Amateur hour is over. I'd expect leadership turnover.

1 hour ago, KarmaCoverage said:

This is the only valid basis I can think of for giving BTC any utility value.

As far as Coinbase, they are ramping up institutional custody services. The institutional guys will want to be able to hold some XRP. They may not want multiple custodians; unless they see using multi custodians as a risk mitigation tactic.

At any rate, they have captured first mover advantage in the crypto exchange industry. That has earned them a shot at competing aginst ICE, Fidelity, and other big boys who know how to execute.

Amateur hour is over. I'd expect leadership turnover.

I tend to agree, more outside money is flowing into CB and unless there is a real compliance reason why XRP isn't being listed it will be questioned more and more over time by CoinBase investors. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is turn over on the management side.

It’s pretty well known that Brian Armstrong despises Ripple because of a nasty argument he had with one of the founders a while back. What I don’t remember is what it was about. I’ve gone back and forth on whether this is at least a contributing factor or not. I think I’ve come to the conclusion finally that it is. So far, he’s gotten away with it because 1) his company is doing well, 2) he’s made a ton of money, and 3) he doesn’t have to truly answer to anyone yet.

I won’t go into why he won’t be able to afford to continue this. Most of us agree on why. My point is, we are not always rational. That’s not news to anyone but just a reminder that even otherwise extremely successful people mess this up in key situations. Maybe that’s what’s happened here. Armstrong made a bad move based on emotions and now it’s hard to find a way to list XRP and save face. The argument he makes about only listing assets that meet the “exacting” standards of Coinbase’s digital asset framework test (DAFT) are silly. Anyways, maybe the reason for all of this drama boils down to emotion. It wouldn’t be the first time this happened in business decisions. Just my opinion.

@Hodor wrote a letter to Armstrong almost a year and a half ago, right after Litecoin was added. I accidentally came upon it and think it’s good.

https://xrphodor.wordpress.com/2017/07/09/open-letter-to-brian-armstrong/

Edited by Deeznutz

22 minutes ago, XRPJoe said:

What do you guys think of OX coin Coin Base is shilling on everyone? 

I think OX is total crap let me know if I am wrong....

However, the main purpose for ZRX is decentralized governance over 0x protocol’s upgrade system, meaning owning ZRX gives you a say proportional to your holdings in how the protocol should be improved over time.

That doesn't sound good.