In the event that the U.S. Government demands sanctions against another country, does Ripple Inc. have the ability to block a country from using the XRP Blockchain network? 

2 minutes ago, uncatalog said:

In the event that the U.S. Government demands sanctions against another country, does Ripple Inc. have the ability to block a country from using the XRP Blockchain network? 

No. But RippleNet can. You can compare the XRP ledger with the Internet: anyone can connect to it, and send packets of data to any other  machine on the Internet. Company firewalls determine what packets are accepted or rejected to enter the internal network. This is good, it makes sure the public ledger can be shared by participants from multiple jurisdictions and cultures with non-overlapping policies and regulations, because these policies are defined and enforced at a higher layer. The ledger itself is policy-neutral, and only deals with pure math.

21 minutes ago, uncatalog said:

even if they could - would they?

Exchanges can also be subject to the local governments sanctions though. That was why Binance first left China for Japan and Hong Kong and then went to Malta when the crackdowns started in Japan and Hong Kong as well.

Some of these exchanges will probably be able to buy an offshore oil platform in international waters connected to one of the transatlantic fiberoptic connections.

Edited by mandelbaum

52 minutes ago, lucky said:

No. But RippleNet can. You can compare the XRP ledger with the Internet: anyone can connect to it, and send packets of data to any other  machine on the Internet. Company firewalls determine what packets are accepted or rejected to enter the internal network. This is good, it makes sure the public ledger can be shared by participants from multiple jurisdictions and cultures with non-overlapping policies and regulations, because these policies are defined and enforced at a higher layer. The ledger itself is policy-neutral, and only deals with pure math.

What do you mean with "RippleNet can"? Ripple has no control on who uses RippleNet and the RippleNet participants are working peer-to-peer AFAIK. Sure the individuals on RippleNet can configure with who they want to do business with... 

Am I correct?

4 minutes ago, Skippy said:

What do you mean with "RippleNet can"? Ripple has no control on who uses RippleNet and the RippleNet participants are working peer-to-peer AFAIK. Sure the individuals on RippleNet can configure with who they want to do business with... 

Am I correct?

Incorrect, RippleNet is a permissioned network. You will need a (software) license to join, and sign a contract with Ripple. In contrast XRP ledger is permissionless.

13 minutes ago, lucky said:

Incorrect, RippleNet is a permissioned network. You will need a (software) license to join, and sign a contract with Ripple. In contrast XRP ledger is permissionless.

For me personally, these kind of things show how abstract the whole world of payments and digital assets still is. Even if I have tried to grasp it from both technical and economical perspective. Sometimes I forget the simple things and really understanding how the strings are connected, what really means something being "decentralized" and how it all really matters in the end... 

Not to even talk about what new opportunities the IoV and other 'blockchain' applications could bring. How they can really change the world as we know it, in the end...

How much of the success of crypto is still tied to the speculators and how big of a part do speculators still play in the growth of the crypto ecosystem?

Sorry off topic, I just got blasted on how silly thing I asked just above

3 hours ago, uncatalog said:

Right now given the distribution of validators Ripple could stop completely the network, but not decide wheter or not a single account can transact on XRPL.

Unfortunately XRPL by its own it's useless. It becomes useful when plugged into the suite of Ripple products, where (as @lucky said) you need a license.

I don't know the terms of the license but I'm afraid Ripple can decide wheter or not a single actor can transact on RippleNet.

1 hour ago, lucky said:

It’s good question, thanks for the opportunity to clarify this!

Some people would then say Swift II. Moving to an off-shore platform may not be a bad idea for Ripple then as neither Russia nor China would want to sign up for American control

4 minutes ago, tulo said:

Unfortunately XRPL by its own it's useless. It becomes useful when plugged into the suite of Ripple products, where (as @lucky said) you need a license.

The usefulness of XRP does not depend on Ripple building a cross border payment platform that uses it.

Traders are increasingly using XRP to transfer funds between exchanges, as it is the fastest liquid asset.

I'm buiding a platform on it for micropayments, without Ripple's support or permission. There must be many more projects that are currently working on technology that use the ledger, that are currently under the radar. The usefulness does not depend on actual current use, but on the technology and the liquidity.

But I'm sure you know all that.

3 minutes ago, lucky said:

The usefulness does not depend on actual current use, but on the technology and the liquidity.

I agree, but atm Ripple is the only one building the connections, the liquidity and the use cases.

Edited by tulo

1 minute ago, tulo said:

I agree, but atm Ripple is the only one building the connections, the liquidity and the use cases.

I just told you that this is not true.