xrpmommy

Hikmet Ersek( ceo Western Union) talk about ripple 07/11/2018

"Today we don't see the customer use cases yet."

He's more like a mafia guy, protecting his neighborhood.

Ripple shall not waste their time trying to convince "him" but focus on people and enterprises who "understand".

He's just scared to have no more argument for excessive fees.

@lucky i agree with you but what is your take on WU's scepticism towards Ripple/XRP? Do you think WU shareholders and top management are that dumb to not see Ripple/XRP's potential? Do you think they are just over relaxed and rest on their solid market share oars? Is it at all possible for the company of such a caliber to actually behave like this (negligence)? 

In other words - me and you and dozens of folks on XRP chat realizes Ripple/XRP's potential and WU tops do not? 

Doesn't it look wierd?   

@WillGetThere  Not only is it hard to accept that the software for which you paid millions years ago, is now only worth a fraction because it is outdated.  As long as you don’t trash that software, it is still listed for it’s full value in your books. This may also play a role here. Once they put their own software overboard and replace with xRapid, the value of their propietary system (goodwill) is removed from their books, making the company less valuable on paper.

Plus, if they route their private liquidity through the public network, their competitors will be able to take advantage of it. In case of market leader, it may strategically be more wise to not pioneer with DLT, but stall the transformation to this new technology for as long as possible. This will buy them time.

WU’s business depends on high friction low value payments. That business model is under huge threat, but will take some time still. Meanwhile, the message to shareholders is that they’re still ahead in the game, because they’ve invented cryptocurrency 40 years ago. I don’t believe that is true, but the message is not directed to me but to their shareholders.

Edited by lucky

At around 18:00 when asked about the un-banked and cryptocurrency Mr. Ersek becomes uncomfortable. Closing of the jacket an then crossing his arms (defensive behavior), before going to what Western Union does and and how many countries they operate in.

Western Union can't help the Un-Banked. Cryptocurrencies can. By eliminating the need for two accounts each country can support local exchanges vs. an international giant. That is a point that western union can not defend against.

Does anyone understand why Amazon partnered with Western Union to "collect monies" as he reports? We saw this news a week or so ago, and it's a headscratcher.  Amazon is not exactly a regressive company.  What benefits do they see in WU which they don't in DLT? 

There was speculation that Amazon/WU is using Ripple technology, but that has yet to be confirmed or denied by any credible source.  Anyone?

Mr. Ersek still doesn't see the benefit(s) of implementing Ripple's tech, just like he didn't see it earlier this year (http://fortune.com/2018/06/13/ripple-xrp-cryptocurrency-western-union/). I won't see WU implementing xRapid anytime soon unless smaller players in the remittance market start to adopt the tech and gain greater market share. 

Time to move on and to prove him wrong! 

5 minutes ago, xrphilosophy said:

Does anyone understand why Amazon partnered with Western Union to "collect monies" as he reports? We saw this news a week or so ago, and it's a headscratcher.  Amazon is not exactly a regressive company.  What benefits do they see in WU which they don't in DLT? 

There was speculation that Amazon/WU is using Ripple technology, but that has yet to be confirmed or denied by any credible source.  Anyone?

WU can provide what XRP can not: input and output of real fiat bills and coins through an immense global network of physical offices.

Why is anyone surprised? Do you think a company that sends money globally wants to lower their transaction costs? That's how they make their money. 

Personally, I think WU messed up because they could've have crushed any and all competition by saving tons of money to send fiat anywhere. Just because they're lowering the cost to send money on their end, doesn't mean they have to lower their fees down to what their cost of sending is for the customer. I mean really, it's just a matter of time... WU is not some groundbreaking innovation that can't be copied. All it takes is someone with a lot of money to start a company like WU using Ripple's tech (i.e money gram), and WU will either have to find a cheaper solution than Ripple, or get Thanos'd. The only real advantage they have is that they're pretty much known throughout the world, but that won't last if they don't innovate and keep up with the competition. 

Interesting. The way I read his remarks were in the context of what they do now, and how he seems to think it works for them and they don't see an urgent need to change the way they operate at the moment. He was still positive about the innovation from Ripple, but it doesn't fit with whatever their business plan is going forward at the moment.

I get that WU has a pile of fiat cash machines worldwide and don't want to go all out on fully digital money transfers. Wondering why they don't add an option to use digital transfers to those fiat cash machines and phase in the digital use case with incentives, like lower fees when using the digital option. 

Yes it would take upgrades to the fiat machines software, but would allow them to transition to all digital transfers without having to write down, all at once, the investment in those machines. Maybe they've already done that cost/benefit calculation and decided all fiat is the way to go. If so, their demise is inevitable.

Edited by n2it