crypto16

Alipay, a ripple partner? alipay.ripple.com

Ping is a way to check if a url (alipay.ripple.com here) is active and hits a destination computer. You can use a ping command from command prompt or mac terminal.

If ping command succeeds it returns back some data. Let's say I ping google.com to see if google's server is active and it responds back. 

So the fact that pinging alipay.ripple.com responds back with some data shows that this url is active and is being used.

Hope that helps.

3 minutes ago, crypto16 said:

Ping is a way to check if a url (alipay.ripple.com here) is active and hits a destination computer. You can use a ping command from command prompt or mac terminal.

If ping command succeeds it returns back some data. Let's say I ping google.com to see if google's server is active and it responds back. 

So the fact that pinging alipay.ripple.com responds back with some data shows that this url is active and is being used.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, so it's basically proof of life. What is it proving alive though? Is alipay.ripple.com undeniably and un-counterfeitably (probably not a word) an extension of Ripple.com and not something someone could host for sh** and giggles? I feel like my parents right now, i'm clueless.

Awesome. In other words, while we don't know the nature of this subdomain, it's safe to assume it's very much intended to be there. Makes me wonder since (googled pinging from command prompt) stuff like moneygram.ripple.com or santander.ripple.com or *insertpartner*.ripple.com doesn't register, ripple doesn't host any of these in bulk 'just in case'. Interesting, thank you.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but here are the facts:

- only the owners of ripple.com can create subdomains (eg alipay.ripple.com). The image by @Uloveme shows that.

- the subdomain responds to pings, meaning there is a valid machine sitting behind it

- we do not know the purpose of this subdomain...it could be genuinely used for alipay, or could have been created for demo purposes

- an active subdomain can be configured to be unresponsive to pings...so just because moneygram.ripple.com doesnt ping doesnt mean its not there.

- another method of testing subdomain existence is "nslookup subdomain.ripple.com". Haven't tried this as i'm on the bus.

CONCLUSION

The only takeaway here is Ripple at somepoint created that subdomain for an underteminable purpose. Which IMHO isn't such a bad thing to know

Edited by orcablue

Couple of comments on this, which mskes me think this is not valid.

1. You don't register sub domains. The sub domain will just be a record on a dns record pointing to an ip.

2.  That reddit screen shot just gave the listing details for ripple.com.  as mentioned above, only the main domain is registered 

3.   If you do an ip tracker, you will see that ripple.com is hosted on Amazon(AWS), and alipay.*.* is on some lesser known isp called io flood, that belongs to a company called hi-vps.  Hi VPS is a chinese registered domain

4.  This makes mer think that the alipay domain is spoofed, to create anxiety/high interest like this  mis- lead a lot of folks.

I wish this was true, and xrp races to the top, but lets be cautious and not too excited.

20181108_012735.jpg

20181108_014358.jpg

2 hours ago, orcablue said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but here are the facts:

1. - only the owners of ripple.com can create subdomains (eg alipay.ripple.com). The image by @Uloveme shows that.
  2. - the subdomain responds to pings, meaning there is a valid machine sitting behind it
  3. - we do not know the purpose of this subdomain...it could be genuinely used for alipay, or could have been created for demo purposes
  4. - an active subdomain can be configured to be unresponsive to pings...so just because moneygram.ripple.com doesnt ping doesnt mean its not there.
  5. - another method of testing subdomain existence is "nslookup subdomain.ripple.com". Haven't tried this as i'm on the bus.

CONCLUSION

The only takeaway here is Ripple at somepoint created that subdomain for an underteminable purpose. Which IMHO isn't such a bad thing to know

1- Yes

2- Yes

3- Correct

4- Yes

5- Here's a list of some other subdomains i found (besides the usual suspects)

• api.ripple.com
  • bugs.ripple.com
  • charts1.ripple.com
  • clients.ripple.com
  • confluence.ripple.com
  • data.ripple.com
  • demos.ripple.com
  • dev.ripple.com
  • docker.ripple.com
  • download.ripple.com
  • email.ripple.com  
  • go.ripple.com
  • id.ripple.com
  • intranet.ripple.com
  • jira.ripple.com
  • login.ripple.com
  • mail.ripple.com
  • names.ripple.com
  • peers.ripple.com
  • r.ripple.com
  • s1.ripple.com
  • sonarqube.ripple.com
  • swell-prod.ripple.com
  • swell-staging.ripple.com
  • vpn.ripple.com
  • web-staging.ripple.com
  • web2.ripple.com
  • wiki.ripple.com
  • xrp-holder-portal.staging.ripple.com

Already discussed:

https://www.xrpchat.com/topic/16857-alipayripplecom/

https://www.xrpchat.com/topic/8457-ripple-confirms-china-expansion-plans-shoots-down-alibaba-rumor/

This led some to believe the Chinese mammoth would help Ripple maneuver its way into the country, though a Ripple spokesperson said such an effort is not in the works:

"Alibaba (the company) is not running a validator."