Sign in to follow this  
caroma

Stock Node vs. Validator

I am new to rippled and am trying to learn what the difference is between a stock rippled node and a validating node. As I've read, a Stock server follows the network with a local copy of the ledger whereas a Validating server participates in consensus (and does everything a stock server does, too). I am currently running an instance of rippled and have run a performance profiler on the node, first on the non-validating node and then again when the node is running as a validator. Looking through the results, it seems that even when not running as a validator, the server makes calls to functions associated with consensus (ripple::RCLConsensus::Adaptor::doAccept, ripple::RCLConsensus::Adaptor::buildLCL, etc.) If a stock server is not supposed to be participating in consensus, why would there be calls to these functions? Could anyone explain to me why this is? 

@nikb @Sukrim @Professor Hantzen Thank you for your help and timely responses! Clears up a lot of my confusion. In terms of signing, referring to another question i have posted here and from my understanding of the source code, signing a message digest is done exclusively with secp256k1. Is there a reason why we do not have the option to sign with ed25519? Much appreciated!

Mostly because the code doesn’t support Ed25519 validator keys. There is an open PR (#2647) to allow validators to use Ed25519 to sign and it will get merged.

To answer your question a little more broadly: a conscious decision was made to use the same algorithm as Bitcoin. But beyond just that, remember that the paper by Bernstein, Schwabe, Lang and Yang only got published around the end of 2011, so Ed25519 would have been way too new to seriously consider using at that point.

Sign in to follow this