22 minutes ago, Blubber said:

Affecting is to influence, Effect is to be influenced.  So, I agree.

Surely "To effect change" is transitive and something you do to something, correct?  To be affected is intransitive - it happen to you.  Not that I am a grammarian but the meaning is that we effect with our actions what happens to the XRP ecosystem.

Edited by Julian_Williams

Great read.  Without you there would be large holes in my understanding of the XRP ecosystem, areas where I am so out of my depth that I would have no understanding at all.

Things that have affected me this week -  Wieste Wind's podcast on another thread - this guy has very good communicative skill and is very interesting guy to listen to.  I am not sure I agree with Wietse that XRP will never become a currency that his grandmother might use.  He is very good at explaining how one man and his computer can plug into the XRP ecosystem, build networks and seed developmental changes.  He is very good at explaining why developer will choose XRP/Codius rather than the alternatives.  He is very good at explaining how it all relates to the ILP.

About the XRPbalance; this will never be accurate in the same way that a business plan or battle plan never predicts what will happen on the day.  The value of these plans is that they provide points of reference and allow us to rehearse and VISUALISE how outcomes will play out. (" No battle plan survives contact with the enemy." - Colin Powell  )  The business/battle plan cannot be rigidly tied to the events that happen in the outside world.  They have to be discarded and rebuilt as the real world impacts but generals who goes into battle with a battle plan will be more agile in their responses.

The same applies for investments.  Have a method of visualising what is happening and respond as the investment develops in the real world. Nearly half of the Neocortex is given over the visual processing, it has huge processing power compared to every other aspect of your thinking (many more times what the brain has for rational thought, language and all the other sense modalities combined)

1 hour ago, Chris_Reeves said:

Thank you for this. Shouldn't the title be "Affecting" change since it's being used as a verb @Hodor

I appreciate the heads-up, but actually, the way I use it in the title is one of the rare exceptions to the rule:

Effect as a verb means to bring about. It usually shows up with nouns like “change” or “solutions.”

"The protesters wanted to effect change in the corrupt government."

In other words, they wanted to bring about the effect of change—maybe by getting the government to change its policies or even step down.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/affect-vs-effect/

Thanks for the positive feedback!

1 hour ago, Chris_Reeves said:

Thank you for this. Shouldn't the title be "Affecting" change since it's being used as a verb @Hodor

A common misconception. In this context to "effect change" effect is properly used as a verb meaning "to bring about". 

Much more importantly, great article.  

1 hour ago, Julian_Williams said:

Nearly half of the Neocortex is given over the visual processing, it has huge processing power compared to every other aspect of your thinking (many more times what the brain has for rational thought, language and all the other sense modalities combined)

Well that explains a lot! 

When I visualize my goals, I find that getting from 'point A' to 'point B' is always so much easier.  If that's the way the human mind works, then it makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Julian_Williams said:

About the XRPbalance; this will never be accurate in the same way that a business plan or battle plan never predicts what will happen on the day.  The value of these plans is that they provide points of reference and allow us to rehearse and VISUALISE how outcomes will play out. (" No battle plan survives contact with the enemy." - Colin Powell  ) 

Excellent and insightful as always @Julian_Williams!

Talking with a few contacts to see if they want to start working on a few ripple xrp connections. 

What always makes me feel confident in the eventual progress is the leadership and how their products can serve mankind.

It is why I have been an investor in Tesla and Solar City since their ipos.

It is why I am working to get all these people involved with my industry and other friends and their companies.

They can all benefit from Ripple and XRP.

1 hour ago, Hodor said:

Well that explains a lot! 

When I visualize my goals, I find that getting from 'point A' to 'point B' is always so much easier.  If that's the way the human mind works, then it makes sense. 

Excellent and insightful as always @Julian_Williams!

I once read a description of the development of the neocortex ( a long time ago, so this is from memory).  It developed from a lump of the  mid-brain that had been dealing with olfactory sensual experiences (smell taste).  This is the one sense that does not deal with position, so it is the least analogue area of the mid-brain)  The protrusion grew as a uniform sheet over the outside of the brain, the layer of the sheet (grey matter) is six cells deep.  As the sheet grew it rippled and became concertinaed over the outer surface of the brain (imagine pushing a carpet into a small room) - which is why our brains have rippled outer surface.  If you took our neocortex and flattened it out you would find it to be the size of a napkin, a rats neocortex is about the size of a postage stamp.  When we talk about mankind having big brains we are talking about Mankind have relatively large neocortexes, (our mid-brains are unexceptional).

If you imagine a nerve cell as a tree, it has roots at the bottom and thousands and thousands of twigs at the top (Dendrites).  The nerve cells of the neo cortex are sixlayer thick - six trees on top of each other, each layer having its own function.  The trees work in bundles - input into the bottom layer with lots of feedback mechanisms ending with output at the top.  If you think of the trees all spread out as a sheet they would be six forests on top of each other covering an area about the size of North America.  The twigs of the trees communicate with the twigs of other trees for hundreds, even thousands of miles away.  It is one big sheet working in unison but information is not all synchronous, there is no single time frame.

The structure of one part of the neocortex hardly varies, it is very uniform.  Half of the neocortex is dealing with visual information, but if you lose a hand the area dealing with your hand will be commandeered for other functions (plasticity).  Blind people become very good piano tuners and musical savants, we can commandeer the visual brain for all sorts of extra uses.  Remembering  a pack of cards is done by giving each card a character, motion and outcome, then combining these associations into new associations which form a visual narrative which then tells the memory artist the order in which the cards were seen (very complex).  Memory palaces are created by imagining yourself walking through a familiar place an encountering the objects you want to list. Fascinating subject!

6 minutes ago, DividendGamer said:

Talking with a few contacts to see if they want to start working on a few ripple xrp connections. 

What always makes me feel confident in the eventual progress is the leadership and how their products can serve mankind.

It is why I have been an investor in Tesla and Solar City since their ipos.

It is why I am working to get all these people involved with my industry and other friends and their companies.

They can all benefit from Ripple and XRP.

This entire post / response just says "win-win" all over to me!  :yes3:

3 minutes ago, Julian_Williams said:

Memory palaces are created by imagining yourself walking through a familiar place an encountering the objects you want to list.

I watched a TED talk on this once. 

It was very 'memorable'!  (You see what I did there?)

Great write-up as always @Hodor - thank you!!

Question for you and the community . . . are there plans to integrate @xrptipbot into LinkedIn in the near-term? Having dealt with Linkedin previously, I know them to be notoriously strict with API integrations - especially as it relates to monetization of anything on their network (which is understandable, I suppose). That said, my thinking is that @xrptipbot and even Coil could be a great way to incentivize quality content (posts, articles, etc.) on the platform - while providing terrific exposure to XRP among those "professional types" who prefer not to delve into the cesspool that is Twitter, Reddit & Facebook (not a judgement of these sites on my part, but an opinion held by many of my colleagues, friends and family).

I am no super-connector, but this XRP enthusiast would do my part to spread the word on LinkedIn, should that come to pass. Thoughts?